Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

Finally got round to watch the Netflix Woodstock 99 documentary last night (still got the HBO one to watch at some point).

Proper Comical Ali “everything’s fine” shit from the promoters, James Brown pulling an Ultimate Warrior before the shows even started really set the tone.

Sure made the “rioters” at Leeds Festival 2002 look like a right bunch of pussies in comparison 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

All or Nothing - Manchester City

Beautifully shot, produced and edited by the production team.....Too beautifully. There's no real drama - nothing particularly juicy. I'm a few episodes in an it mostly feels like an elaborate piece of good club PR. Admittedly part of that is because the club does well for the majority of it and there's clearly a good atmosphere behind the scenes, and those two elements combined make for little suspense or little in the way of conflict to keep you hooked for future episodes. After you've seen one Pep team talk, you've seen them all. Again, it looks stunning throughout, but really don't expect anything particularly juicy. 

I'll finish this tomorrow and then move on to the Spurs and Arsenal series - at least there we'll get some sweet, sweet conflict to drive things along. 

• 2 months later...

This is probably not the exact right thread for this, but I couldn't seem to find a sort of general YouTube thread. Please delete/move if needs be.

So, I didn't realise there's a dude called Vlad who has a YouTube channel where he carries out the equivilant of pro-wrestling shoot interviews with murderers and mobsters. It's really...well, I don't know if *amusing* is the right word, but this guy's questioning abiilty is right up there with Rob Feinstein's (really one step away from "memories of murdering Fat Tony?") and the sort of bored way Sammy Gravano describes his dozens of murders is really quite something. Also his continual minimisation by comparison ("I'd never kill a kid or a woman! I'm not a monster!").

Anyway, thought some might find it interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmo06w2vGL4

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Is That Black Enough for You??! (Netflix)

Awesome walkthrough of black American cinema from the silent era to the late 70s, narrated by Elvis Mitchell with intellect and feeling. Learned about a ton of films I'd never heard of, it uses talking heads very well, and frames movements in black cinema in a very digestible way. The best documentary of 2022, for me.

8 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Is That Black Enough for You??! (Netflix)

Awesome walkthrough of black American cinema from the silent era to the late 70s, narrated by Elvis Mitchell with intellect and feeling. Learned about a ton of films I'd never heard of, it uses talking heads very well, and frames movements in black cinema in a very digestible way. The best documentary of 2022, for me.

Cheers, that sounds wicked!  As a sort of bookend, BBC are showing Chuck D’s Hip Hop series soon. 

I really, really, really hope this has something new to say about hip hop. I can't listen/read/watch another fucking segment on Run DMC being the 1st rap band on MTV. Its been done to death unfortunately. 

There was, about 20 years ago on Channel 4, a documentary called The Hip Hop Years that was absolutely fantastic, and told the story very well, but you can't find it anywhere sadly.

Still, high hopes for this as its Chuck D and PBS.

@Devon Malcolmthat sounds great, going to give it a watch tonight. 

8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I really, really, really hope this has something new to say about hip hop. I can't listen/read/watch another fucking segment on Run DMC being the 1st rap band on MTV. Its been done to death unfortunately. 

There was, about 20 years ago on Channel 4, a documentary called The Hip Hop Years that was absolutely fantastic, and told the story very well, but you can't find it anywhere sadly.

Still, high hopes for this as its Chuck D and PBS.

@Devon Malcolmthat sounds great, going to give it a watch tonight. 

Yeah when the trailer started I wondered if it was a rerun of their How Hip Hop changed the World Series but with Chuck involved, that really got me interested. 

• Paid Members

George Carlin's American Dream (Sky Documentaries)

A fantastic career retrospective coupled with a really interesting use of archival and interview footage. Absolutely does his life and career justice, covering all of his changes and ups and downs, analysing his style and evolution in depth. Easily the best thing Judd Apatow has ever made as well. CONTENT WARNING - Kevin Smith is briefly interviewed.

The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker (Netflix)

It's alright. An interesting enough story about a viral sensation hippie hitchhiker that is then exploited and isn't all he claims to be (shock horror) but it's a fairly standard story without any amazingly weird twists like your Evil Geniuses, your Don't Fuck With Cats, your Staircases.

The best bits were when the Reality TV sharks start sniffing around him, and are horrified at his behaviour as he is you know, a homeless person with MH issues, and doesn't act 'normally'. What on earth did they expect?

Best if you don't read anything about it (knew nothing about it going in).

Bit on the nose that title though Netflix. At least try.