Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Also The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker

What a detestable lot of people involved with this. 'It's amazing, he did a kind act AND was homeless' as if these are mutually exclusive. That bellend from the Kardashian's gawking at him like an ape at the zoo when he gave someone a backpack. Jimmy Kimmel being unfunny along with his cast of fart sniffers who they interviewed. The even less funny Stephen Colbert making a brief appearance. Shite.

• Paid Members

Girl in the Picture (Netflix)

Grotty little exploitative crime doc, even by Netflix standards. Also a complete mess in terms of how it's structured. From the same awful director that brought you Abducted in Plain Sight.

a-ha: The Movie

Starts off as a boring run-through of how the band was formed but improves in the second half when you learn how much they hate each other, how little they seem to enjoy everything they've done, and how much of a bellend Morten Harket is. Fast-forward through the first half-hour and it's really good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Pamela, A Love Story (Netflix)

Really good and well structured. Enjoyed the use of her diaries to bring some background to what she went through at key points in her life, and the extended focus on the sex tape and the effect it had on her. Omits some stuff, naturally, but good to see her getting to have her say in her own way.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, chokeout said:

Got The World At War bluray boxset for £1 from a charity shop. Yes it's the remastered pan and scan version but it's the greatest documentary series of all time for £1

got that on DVD free from the paper back in the day, might have to dig it out

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I'm so torn on this version of the bluray. The remastered footage is amazing, the film footage is superb but why they felt, in 2016 to release a pan and scan version and zoom into the footage is beyond me. Some of it is fine, the top of a head chopped off here or there but there is some horrendous choices made with some of the footage. Flashbacks to Dogshit pan and scan versions of films from the 80s and 90s 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Free Solo

Ehh, I don't see it. Actually, maybe I would have done if I hadn't seen The Alpinist first but I still believe that's a superior documentary in every way on much the same subject. I really don't care about this guy's love life, I want to see some fucking climbing. Just quite boring.

Gates of Heaven (YouTube)

The great Errol Morris' film about pet cemetaries. I love the way this drifts away from that subjects and instead becomes about pet owners as a whole. There is a crazy cat lady in it and she's a warrning to cat owners everywhere. Loved this.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Tread (Sky Documentaries)

Documentary about Marvin Heemeyer, who went on a rampage in a souped up bulldozer back in 2004 in Colorado. The first half builds up why Heemeyer got to this place, the second half an account and re-enactment of the chaos he caused. Really good.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

Blue Bag Life is on iPlayer. An incredibly hard watch about the film makers Mum and her partners drug and alcohol addiction.

A warning if you find addiction triggering, or have had to watch someone close to you go through struggling with the illness of addiction.

Great film, just an uncomfortable watch at times.

4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Blue Bag Life is on iPlayer. An incredibly hard watch about the film makers Mum and her partners drug and alcohol addiction.

A warning if you find addiction triggering, or have had to watch someone close to you go through struggling with the illness of addiction.

Great film, just an uncomfortable watch at times.

I'm weirdly excited to watch this. I've been following the Instagram account that it started off as for a while now and some of the stories are really eye opening.

2 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I'm weirdly excited to watch this. I've been following the Instagram account that it started off as for a while now and some of the stories are really eye opening.

Like I say, it's a good film and I'm sure it was cathartic to make, but as someone who has an alcoholic mum and a sibling that is a drug addict, I really struggled at times.

• Paid Members

For those who have Mubi (or don't, it should be quite easy to track down), A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies has just been added. A crash course through the greatest films, directors and periods of US cinema from the Marvel Killer himself. A great place to start for those looking to become more interested in cinema.

And a new Anna Nicole Smith documentary is being put on Netflix today, hopefully it will be as well done as the Pamela Anderson one but will also be a difficult watch, I'd imagine.

• Paid Members

I remember watching a French documentary on BBC 3 a number of years ago. It covered a similar topic to the video above.  A number of Sugarwork patisserie chef were followed on their journey in preparing and competing in their highly prestigious peer review. Think Pumping Iron but with French Patisserie chefs creating elaborate sugar work sculptures.  I remember it being very gripping and there are some very dramatic moments during the final stages of judging.

Does anyone know what this documentary is called and where I can find it?