Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

In Search of Tomorrow

Another of these nostalgia movie documentaries, this one about 80s sci-fi. They're getting better at making these and the talking heads are getting starrier too. It's five hours long and they still miss out a load of stuff that should be in this (how the fuck do you not cover The Thing?) but one of those easy watches that I can't help but like. Catherine Mary Stewart and Nancy Allen continue to de-age, by way of a great bonus.

Conversations with a Killer: The John Wayne Gacy Tapes (Netflix)

Netflix returning to the formula that worked so well for their Ted Bundy documentary. They don't have quite as much to work with here and it does become slightly repetitive, but it is exhaustive and very well made, focusing a bit more on the victims than their Bundy one did.

A Married Couple (YouTube)

Fantastic late-60s Canadian film about an absolutely horrendous couple being completely horrible to each other. Inadvertently hilarious and groundbreaking, one of the best things I've seen so far this year.

I'll Be Gone in the Dark (Prime)

Never seen a crime documentary quite like this, where it becomes as much of a story about an investigator's journey and life as it is about who they're pursuing. Really revealing and probes Michelle McNamara's life in great detail as well as the Golden State Killer's crimes and victims. Really superbly made, the editing is occasionally ingenious, and every scene matters. Brilliant.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'll Be Gone in the Dark (Prime)

Never seen a crime documentary quite like this, where it becomes as much of a story about an investigator's journey and life as it is about who they're pursuing. Really revealing and probes Michelle McNamara's life in great detail as well as the Golden State Killer's crimes and victims. Really superbly made, the editing is occasionally ingenious, and every scene matters. Brilliant.

Didn't know this was on there and will definitely check it out - I read the book a couple of years ago and it's really, really good.

• Paid Members
On 2/17/2022 at 10:53 AM, Onyx2 said:

I just watched Belushi (2020) on Now TV and I'm left broken by the sad loss of life. It pieces together audio clips and handwritten letters covering the life and death of John Belushi. It reminded me what a great talent he was, just a naturally funny guy with adored by millions. Like many with addiction the rush of chasing attention proved too much for him and depression overtook him at the end. The final section where he performs Guilty over his last note to his wife and news footage of his death is simply heart-breaking. A good watch though not exactly uplifting.

Oh and the animation covering some of the audio parts is superb. 

Remember the film. "Wired" from the 80s about him? It was based on a book about him. Nobody wanted anything to do with it. Dan Ackroyd slagged it off, Belushi's family slagged it off. Caused a bit of controversy in the early 90s.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

I watched The Thin Blue Line (1988) the other night.  Nothing to do with the Rowan Atkinson sitcom of the same name, but about the 1976 murder of a Dallas police officer and the person who was accused and found guilty, protesting their innocence.  I don't want to go into too much detail to spoil things, but the documentary maker interviews a lot of the relevant parties and this feels like one of the first true crime documentaries.  I thought it was an excellent and real thought provoking watch, and you're left in no doubt when the final tape recording is played.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

I watched The Thin Blue Line (1988) the other night.  Nothing to do with the Rowan Atkinson sitcom of the same name, but about the 1976 murder of a Dallas police officer and the person who was accused and found guilty, protesting their innocence.  I don't want to go into too much detail to spoil things, but the documentary maker interviews a lot of the relevant parties and this feels like one of the first true crime documentaries.  I thought it was an excellent and real thought provoking watch, and you're left in no doubt when the final tape recording is played.

Yeah, it's really good. Errol Morris made it, his documentaries are consistently excellent, especially The Fog of War.

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

A Married Couple (YouTube)

Fantastic late-60s Canadian film about an absolutely horrendous couple being completely horrible to each other. Inadvertently hilarious and groundbreaking, one of the best things I've seen so far this year.

I watched this one last night after your recommendation and you wonder what on earth these two ever saw in each other?  They argue over everything; from the wife's wanting of the most bizarre items (harpsichord, French language learning records and a Grand Piano), to how the husband gets to work, to the husband not putting his shoes away and to the way the wife hoovers the carpet.  And a lot of the time while hubby is only wearing his budgie smugglers.  It's like you're watching a marriage disintegrate before your very eyes.  There was a couple of very uncomfortable moments in there, notably when Billy physically puts his hands on Antoinette and throws her out of the house and also referring to her as a "c*nt" on one occasion.  They only really seemed to be happy when they were with their baby son, who provided one of the most unintentionally funny moments when he told them he'd "shit" on the floor. Amazingly their marriage lasted a further three years and another child before the divorce.  Billy was hit by a car and died in 1995.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

I watched this one last night after your recommendation and you wonder what on earth these two ever saw in each other?  They argue over everything; from the wife's wanting of the most bizarre items (harpsichord, French language learning records and a Grand Piano), to how the husband gets to work, to the husband not putting his shoes away and to the way the wife hoovers the carpet.  And a lot of the time while hubby is only wearing his budgie smugglers.  It's like you're watching a marriage disintegrate before your very eyes.  There was a couple of very uncomfortable moments in there, notably when Billy physically puts his hands on Antoinette and throws her out of the house and also referring to her as a "c*nt" on one occasion.  They only really seemed to be happy when they were with their baby son, who provided one of the most unintentionally funny moments when he told them he'd "shit" on the floor. Amazingly their marriage lasted a further three years and another child before the divorce.  Billy was hit by a car and died in 1995.

I still think about the bit with the shit and laugh at it randomly over two weeks on. 

• 2 months later...

Has anyone watched the D.B. Cooper documentary series on Netflix?

I watched the first two episodes tonight.

I really liked the first one explaining exactly what happened and how they ruled out the first few suspects, but episode 2 was shite. Some fame-hungry “investigative journalist” tracks down and confronts someone in 2013 who was a suspect the FBI had investigated and ruled out back in 1979.

He stuck to his story and this bloke and his mate leave saying they are sure he did it.

Is it more of the same in the next three episodes, or does it get better? 

It gets worse.  I gave up during the 4th episode as it ended up so far removed from the actual subject matter it wasn't even worth sticking it out.  Ends up becoming all about the investigator rather than the case, and he has so little credibility it's not like you think he's about to break the case (which I assume he didn't).

• Paid Members

That's the problem with any of these investigative documentaries - if this bloke had figured out who D.B. Cooper was, we'd probably have heard about it without having to watch the show.

The BBC did a good documentary on Cooper, it might even still be on iPlayer. They interview three or four people who are all convinced they knew the real Cooper, or what happened to him, and just let them tell their stories, without passing judgement on which is most credible. Given that we don't, and likely never will, know, that's probably the best way to do it, and actually naming someone specific as definitely being D.B. Cooper feels quite irresponsible.

17 hours ago, dopper said:

Has anyone watched the D.B. Cooper documentary series on Netflix?

I watched the first two episodes tonight.

I really liked the first one explaining exactly what happened and how they ruled out the first few suspects, but episode 2 was shite. Some fame-hungry “investigative journalist” tracks down and confronts someone in 2013 who was a suspect the FBI had investigated and ruled out back in 1979.

He stuck to his story and this bloke and his mate leave saying they are sure he did it.

Is it more of the same in the next three episodes, or does it get better? 

Same with the Son of Sam series. 

Started off well and I thought it was even making an ok case for the multiple killers theory at first but it goes completely off the rails eventually.

The problem the DB Cooper doc has is that everyone is an absolute nerd. And annoying ones at that. 

When that neeeeeeeeerd popped up talking about codes, I nearly tapped out. Just absolute shit and pure LHO + JFK =CIA bullshit. 

Less nerds, more skyjacking outlaw shit please. 

Their track record has taken a beating recently. Do another series of The Staircase lads.

8 hours ago, BomberPat said:

The BBC did a good documentary on Cooper, it might even still be on iPlayer. They interview three or four people who are all convinced they knew the real Cooper, or what happened to him, and just let them tell their stories, without passing judgement on which is most credible. Given that we don't, and likely never will, know, that's probably the best way to do it, and actually naming someone specific as definitely being D.B. Cooper feels quite irresponsible.

It was the HBO one they showed on BBC Four.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

The Most Hated Man On The Internet

I watched the first episode and thought that was enough for me. I know everything I need to know from that one. 

Netflix, stop stretching out 90 minute documentaries into 3+ hours. There’s really no need. 

I'm two episode in and agree. They do it all the fucking time. This one could and should have been wrapped up within two hours.