Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

This week, watched:  

Class Action Park.  Cracking documentary that genuinely shocked me in parts.  Came across as Jackass before Jackass.

Disappearance at the Cecil Hotel.  Just watched the first episode, really can’t be arsed with the rest.  Even one hour of it felt like a whole day.  A bit of background is fine, but this just went on, and on.

Framing Britney Spears.  Wifey had this one, but it did grab my interest.  Very one sided, and had no real I out from the party’s involved, but entertaining enough.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I got so pissed off when they finally revealed that one point near the end, it made three episodes completely redundant.

yeh, and i think that's alot of people's issue with it 😄 i have to be thinking of the same point you are. I did like that it completely shit on the web sleuths parade though, just a real weird, arrogant, entitled bunch of people.

Spoiler

finding out the hatch was open on the tank?

19 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh, and i think that's alot of people's issue with it 😄 i have to be thinking of the same point you are. I did like that it completely shit on the web sleuths parade though, just a real weird, arrogant, entitled bunch of people.

Reveal hidden contents

finding out the hatch was open on the tank?

Yeah, that's exactly the point I was thinking.

It's a shame though as I'd "enjoyed" the Ripper and Nightstalker shows just before it.

• Paid Members

Disappearance at the Cecil Hotel - How creepy was one of those conspiracy guys? He came across as a lonely pathetic man who stalked a young [dead] girl. The footage of someone visiting her grave on his behalf was just weird. I can’t imagine what her family must have felt knowing that someone did that.

18 minutes ago, Monkee said:

Disappearance at the Cecil Hotel - How creepy was one of those conspiracy guys? He came across as a lonely pathetic man who stalked a young [dead] girl. The footage of someone visiting her grave on his behalf was just weird. I can’t imagine what her family must have felt knowing that someone did that.

What’s his username on here?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The Trial (Mubi)

Brazilian film about the 2016 impeachment and unseating of Dilma Rousseff. VERY political and dryly so, so it could drag for some. But in seeing where the seeds were sown for Bolsonaro's rise to power, really fascinating and quite terrifying.

• Paid Members

Dancing with the Birds (Netflix)

Stephen Fry's occasionally daft narration aside, this is just a nice hour with tropical birds and their elaborate mating rituals. Just really simple and lovely stuff.

Also watched a couple of those ReMastered documentaries - Massacre at the Stadium and the Miami Showband Massacre. Really solid films that pack in so much into just an hour, looking forward to watching the rest.

WARNING - Bono makes a brief appearance in the former.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, waters44 said:

The Painter And The Thief is on Sky Arts tomorrow at 9pm. I’ve not seen it but heard it’s very good so I’ll be checking it out

It's excellent, a fascinating story really well told.

• 2 weeks later...

Allen Vs Farrow. 
Ive never been a fan of Woody Allen to be honest and this pretty much guarantees I won’t be watching his stuff any more. What an absolutely disgusting creep. Even if the abuse allegations are fictitious he still is a wrongun. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Allen Vs Farrow. 
Ive never been a fan of Woody Allen to be honest and this pretty much guarantees I won’t be watching his stuff any more. What an absolutely disgusting creep. Even if the abuse allegations are fictitious he still is a wrongun. 

Did you see this on Sky Documentaries?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Finding Jack Charlton reduced me to rubble last night.
The one moment that broke, hurt, filled and warmed my heart at once was after all the things he was shown on the laptop that he had no recollection of - from fishing, to the 1966 World Cup Final, to many Irish moments, family moments - he sees a clip of Paul McGrath, smiles warmly and says "Paul McGrath!"
It won't be a documentary I'll ever watch again (purely for self preservation purposes), but it's certainly one that's raise awareness within me personally and is going to have a serious impact on how I perceive that poxy scourge, dementia, from now on.