Documentary Thread #2

• Paid Members

The Vow - NowTV

9 part documentary about the Nxivm sex cult that Alison Mack was in. Utterly mental. It goes into detail of what happened and how Nxivm used self help to create a horrific pyramid of abuse. It has crazy amount of footage from the actual place because Keith Raniere (the cults master) had his people document absolutely everything. It's really interesting but it's way way too long. If you are interested I would skip eps 6 and 7 as it really rehashs a lot of stuff.

Seduced: Inside The Nxivm Sex Cult - StarsPlay/Amazon

This one started the week after The Vow finished but is from the perspective of one of the indoctrinated slaves. Much more palatable 4 episodes in length and I think because of that it's the better of the two. Having said that I'd recommend watching The Vow first. 

Both are fascinating and you won't get the full picture watching one or the other. Some of the stuff this guy says in front of hundreds of people cheering him is absolutely unfathomable. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cunt.

Finished it. Incredible. The documentary is not just about OJ Simpson, but about racial history (and the importance of the Rodney King verdict), spousal abuse and manipulation, corruption, class, cele

A mate put me on to this, a 1977 Panorama special on Millwall football hooligans.  A ton of great one-liners and Harry the Dog's dedication to the cause knows no limits!  

Posted Images

• Paid Members

Oooo. I like the album* so I’ll give this a watch

*my daughter likes it and I’ve heard a lot of it being played in her room

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

There is no shame in admitting you like it. It’s album of the year. 

It's not a shameful thing. I listen to some right embarrassing dross, so this is a step up. I didn't really bother listening to Swift in that typical "I'm too old for this" fashion. But we've had it on in the car a couple of times, and she'll listen to it on her Amazon Echo. Once she got it I read up on the making of it and was amazed she did it in the way she did, hence being excited for this making of/concert.

Is the Netflix documentary good, and is it kid friendly? 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

This is so fucking good. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000nwrq/storyville-pepe-the-frog-feels-good-man

Matt Furie seems like a good soul, and the story of how Pepe was hijacked and 4chan and all that, is wild.

Storyville always has great documentaries under its banner and this is no exception. Just seen The Two Escobars is on there as well, and everyone should watch that.

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

There is no shame in admitting you like it. It’s album of the year. 

Album of any year. It's a cracker. Shame it bought out the creepy boring Bon Iver type fans to 'Actually-she's-quite-good-isn't-she' in that faux snarky passive aggressive manner, but that's not her fault. Or his I suppose.

Finally got round to watching the Everton documentary Howard's Way as I'd recorded it off Sky on Sunday, fantastic bit of work about the club's golden period in the mid 80s and highly recommended to any football fan. There were a few laughs hearing some of the stories from behind the scenes during that time and archived footage of Freddie Starr waking the squad up to entertain them in the hotel courtyard on the morning of the 1984 final. Hits you with a proper gut punch at the end though talking about the day Howard Kendall passed away in 2015 and showing footage from his funeral