Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

There's a new documentary on Sky Arts at 9pm tonight called King Rocker. Stewart Lee meets up with post-punk frontman of the Prefects/The Nightingales, Robert Lloyd. They talk about his 40 year career in music over a curry and a pint and have a good laugh about it all. Also directed by Brasseyes, Michael Cumming.

Trailer ----> https://youtu.be/UEUuvN9S9I4

1 hour ago, Rossman said:

There's a new documentary on Sky Arts at 9pm tonight called King Rocker. Stewart Lee meets up with post-punk frontman of the Prefects/The Nightingales, Robert Lloyd. They talk about his 40 year career in music over a curry and a pint and have a good laugh about it all. Also directed by Brasseyes, Michael Cumming.

Trailer ----> https://youtu.be/UEUuvN9S9I4

Nice, I had no idea he was in The Prefects.  I've always enjoyed his stuff with the New Four Seasons and Terminal Hoedown when I've heard them on old John Peel broadcasts so will look forward to checking this out.  Hoping Sky Arts will repeat the documentary Teenage Superstars about the eighties independent Glasgow scene which was on a couple of weeks back but which I missed.

On 1/31/2021 at 10:52 PM, The British Bushwacker said:

Can anybody recommend a decent documentary on the falklands conflict, can’t recall ever really seeing one.

I’ve probably got the wrong person but it might be Big Pete Olympic Hero who is the encyclopaedia of the Falklands. 

• Paid Members

I just watched In and Of Itself that a friend sent me a copy of. It is absolutely spellbinding. I have never seen anything quite like it. I knew nothing going into it, so I advise you to do the same. It is a recording of a one man show from New York. That's all you need to know.

On 29/01/2021 at 5:27 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Shirkers was on Netflix too but I don't know if it still is. Glad you liked it so much, it's one of the best docs I've ever seen. Genuinely unique and constantly surprising.

Watched it on Netflix a while back. 

Echo the love for it. Not even a subject that particularly interested me but found myself hooked. 

21 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Watched it on Netflix a while back. 

Echo the love for it. Not even a subject that particularly interested me but found myself hooked. 

I watched this last week off the back of the earlier posts on here and was incredibly disappointed. There just didn't seem to be much to it at all and certainly not enough of a payoff to feel worthwhile. 

1 hour ago, Just Some Guy said:

Didn't know whether this belonged in the Docs or Telly thread.

Anyone seen Can't get you out of my head?

Nothing to do with Kylie. I've just watched episode 1 and it's rather enthralling.

Yeah I watch anything to do with Adam Curtis. The live show with Massive Attack was an amazing experience. But the problem is that I’ve noticed how much he sounds like Keir Starmer. 

I managed to persevere through Shirkers but found it utterly boring and not really worthy of a documentary to be honest. I spent the entire time waiting for... something, anything to happen and reveal the reason why the making of this movie deserved a whole film telling it's story but nothing happened.

Plus that Jasmine woman seemed like a right dick head.

• Paid Members

anybody seen Crime Scene - Disappearence at the Cecil Hotel yet? its the latest Netflix series to garner a ton of social media attention.

It's split opinion right down the middle, people seem to love or hate it. The hate crew seeming to point out giving a platform to a bunch of infuriating and (some) very weird web sleuths who took an interest in the case.

I quite liked it based off having seen things about it before the actual documentary was made. Its one of those though where when the facts are presented, the case isnt really as interesting or weird as they may have first seemed.

Edited by Egg Shen