Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The Vietnam War (various sources, it's available for rent in full on Prime)

Nope.

I wholeheartedly agree with the consensus regarding how well made this is and the material that Ken Burns and Lynn Novick unearth is genuinely remarkable. But it's 2021 and we still can't get a comprehensive documentary on this subject that isn't obsessed with trying to make America look sad and pathetic about the whole conflict while completely ignoring that MILLIONS of Vietnamese died in comparison. It's a fucking dereliction of duty of a documentary that starts in its first 15 minutes by telling us that America entered the war with the "best of intentions" and finishes with an half an hour long piece about the monument to fallen US troops at Arlington while not spending a second on the many monuments in Vietnam.

It was also co-funded by the Koch brothers, which tells you so much too. 18 hours of wasted opportunities and misplaced objectivity.

Boy Band Con. (YouTube)

The story of Lou Pearlman and his control over Backstreet Boys and NSYNC. Dodgy as fuck geezer who essentially saw them as employees in his company and took all the money. The most harrowing thing is how utterly broken and in need of psychiatric intervention Aaron Carter is. I know the stories about him and his issues but fucking hell, he is just so tragic. 

Shirkers (Can’t remember, either Amazon or Sky)

Brilliant stuff about the making of an independent Singaporean film and the utter weirdo who worked on it and took the footage. Watch it. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

Shirkers (Can’t remember, either Amazon or Sky)

Brilliant stuff about the making of an independent Singaporean film and the utter weirdo who worked on it and took the footage. Watch it. 

Shirkers was on Netflix too but I don't know if it still is. Glad you liked it so much, it's one of the best docs I've ever seen. Genuinely unique and constantly surprising.

16 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Shirkers was on Netflix too but I don't know if it still is. Glad you liked it so much, it's one of the best docs I've ever seen. Genuinely unique and constantly surprising.

Yep, still on there as I'd added it to my list the other day. Think that'll be tonight's viewing.

17 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Boy Band Con. (YouTube)

The story of Lou Pearlman and his control over Backstreet Boys and NSYNC. Dodgy as fuck geezer who essentially saw them as employees in his company and took all the money. The most harrowing thing is how utterly broken and in need of psychiatric intervention Aaron Carter is. I know the stories about him and his issues but fucking hell, he is just so tragic. 

I just watched this off the back of your little review/recommendation and really enjoyed it, The most shocking part was quite early on when they had their first big meeting when they got their first cheque and they explained at that point they had done over 10 million dollars in album sales ext and they opened there envelopes to find a cheque with $10,000 and then it all goes south from there. You can see that a few of the members are still clearly upset and scared by it all. 

Unfortunatly the music industry is just swarmed with people that take advantage and abuse their roles and the one's that always get the brunt of it are the ones that put the most amount of time/passion/dedication which is the band themselves. I know of 2 bands personally that are now friends of mine, 1 of those I actually worked for personally and they both thought all there time and hard work had paid off when they signed to Sony music and both bands ended up getting fucked over royally and as a result of it all ended up splitting up and quitting the music industry completely. It fucking sucks and genuinely makes me sad when I get told these stories because it's a case of taking major advantage of a group of people that are so in love and dedicated to the art of making music and being on stage.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I just watched this off the back of your little review/recommendation and really enjoyed it, The most shocking part was quite early on when they had their first big meeting when they got their first cheque and they explained at that point they had done over 10 million dollars in album sales ext and they opened there envelopes to find a cheque with $10,000 and then it all goes south from there. You can see that a few of the members are still clearly upset and scared by it all. 

Unfortunatly the music industry is just swarmed with people that take advantage and abuse their roles and the one's that always get the brunt of it are the ones that put the most amount of time/passion/dedication which is the band themselves. I know of 2 bands personally that are now friends of mine, 1 of those I actually worked for personally and they both thought all there time and hard work had paid off when they signed to Sony music and both bands ended up getting fucked over royally and as a result of it all ended up splitting up and quitting the music industry completely. It fucking sucks and genuinely makes me sad when I get told these stories because it's a case of taking major advantage of a group of people that are so in love and dedicated to the art of making music and being on stage.

Eee Obadiah, who'd have thought that one day - Padded Cell - Naim Audio -  Community

2 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

It’s like that story about 5ive. They knew money was coming but the allowance they were being paid compared to the hours they were working meant they were getting way less than minimum wage. They were sharing pot noodles for dinner and the like. So they went to see Simon Cowell to ask for more money. At the end of their plea he agreed reluctantly to up their allowance. 

They were at the bus stop waiting to go back home (which they no doubt were paying for) when Cowell pulled up in his brand new Merc with the roof down. They thought he might be offering a lift home but he said “Everybody Get Up paid for this” smiled, and sped off. Top drawer shithousing. 

2 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

It’s like that story about 5ive. They knew money was coming but the allowance they were being paid compared to the hours they were working meant they were getting way less than minimum wage. They were sharing pot noodles for dinner and the like. So they went to see Simon Cowell to ask for more money. At the end of their plea he agreed reluctantly to up their allowance. 

They were at the bus stop waiting to go back home (which they no doubt were paying for) when Cowell pulled up in his brand new Merc with the roof down. They thought he might be offering a lift home but he said “Everybody Get Up paid for this” smiled, and sped off. Top drawer shithousing. 

SO NICE I WILL POST IT TWICE

Edited by Keith Houchen
Your mum shares missing dog posts from the US