Documentary Thread #2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cunt.

Finished it. Incredible. The documentary is not just about OJ Simpson, but about racial history (and the importance of the Rodney King verdict), spousal abuse and manipulation, corruption, class, cele

Posted Images

On 10/7/2020 at 3:57 PM, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Feels good man, the documentary about Pepe the cartoon frog being co-opted by the alt right. 

I'm a flaky cartoonist like the guy in the movie so I could really put myself in his position which made it particularly interesting for me, but it's pretty watchable and well put together in any case. @Chest Rockwell you might enjoy it if you haven't seen it. 

Reveal hidden contents

I did notice in one of his latest pictures he included a McDonald's chicken mcnugget character which I thought was particularly silly/ballsy considering they tried to use copying McDonald's characters against him twice in court.

Aleks Krotoski just popped up, 10/10 documentary.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year when the 'Leaving Neverland' documentary was released, the two lads accusing Michael Jackson of rape and the director of the documentary were everywhere.

Google searching their names (James Safechuck & Wade Robson) shows numerous articles and footage of their interview with Oprah.

But I couldn't find anything on Google or searching Facebook & Twitter regarding Safechuck's lawsuit against Jackson's estate being dismissed yesterday.

#MJinnocent is currently trending on Twitter (which is how I discovered this) but the only people with any details are the numerous Twitter accounts dedicated to Jackson, or his family members.

Safechuck deleted his Instagram account yesterday which may or may not be related, but surely at least a couple of news outlets would be covering this wouldn't they? It's weird.

Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade (2007)

A companion piece to the ‚ÄėKing of Kong‚Äô documentary.¬† Back in 1982, at the height of video arcades, Life Magazine did a piece bringing together the best video game players in the country, this documentary catches up with some of these men roughly twenty five years later.¬† Twin Galaxies and Walter Day, just like in King of Kong, are the backbone, Twin Galaxies having hosted the 1982 Video Game World Championships.¬† Naturally, Billy Mitchell features, and while still a tad arrogant he surprisingly doesn‚Äôt come off anywhere near as bad here as he did in King of Kong,¬† the accolade of prize prat belonging to ‚ÄėMr. Awesome‚Äô Roy Shildt. ¬†Less than two years after the shoot, arcades started shutting up shop, the fame of the likes of Ben Gold, Darren Olsen etc. fleeting.¬† All have moved on in their lives, bar Leo Daniels who is still living like a teenager, although with one of them still living with his parents but having spent $300K on erotic art, another having a mail order bride in Mexico who doesn‚Äôt even speak English and another sleeping on the floor surrounded by vintage arcade machines and sharing his house with all manner of tarantulas, there is a sense of them being made fun of.¬† Tons of old, vintage footage and a fascinating look at this period of time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The Three Deaths of Marisela Escobedo (Netflix)

It struck me that the best two documentaries of the year are Mexican - this and Midnight Family. This one had two pieces of footage in it that will haunt me forever and they should everyone else. A difficult one to stomach, especially for anyone who has daughters or younger sisters, but also a principled and great piece of work. It's disappointing that Netflix haven't championed it like they do with their English language documentaries.

Tales of the Grim Sleeper (2015)

I called time on this after an hour, with 45 minutes still to go.  A 2015 Nick Broomfield documentary about the 'Grim Sleeper', U.S. serial killer Lonnie Franklin, so named because of the belief he stopped killing for over a decade only to start again.  There's a story here to be told, however Broomfield wasn't up to it.  The entire documentary, that I watched, just seems to be Broomfield driving around the area where Franklin lived looking for people to speak to.  Rinse repeat.  I never thought I would find a documentary about a serial killer boring, Broomfield managed it though!

• Paid Members

Secrets of the Saqqara Tomb (Netflix)

Ahh this was a really relaxing and interesting watch, absolutely ideal for a quiet day off work. No talking heads or voiceovers, just lots of really dedicated people going about their work and translating their enthusiasm across perfectly. Can't see anyone disliking this even if you don't really care about ancient Egypt.

The Comedy Store ( Showtime )

About half way through the 1st episode of 5 and this seems like it's going to be great, got all the big names as talking heads so far ( Letterman,Leno,Jim Carrey, Rock etc etc )

Just thought I'd put this post as I had no idea of it till this afternoon after watching an episode of the Bad Friends podcast