Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

Has anyone seen Shirkers? I don't want to give too much away because it's such a wild ride that steadily unfolds but I watched it last night and it's probably the best documentary I've seen on film-making, a tad self indulgent but I'm 100% for that.

The basic premise is that three hip, edgy young women and a creepy older man film what would be the first(?) experimental movie in Singapore.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Has anyone seen Shirkers? I don't want to give too much away because it's such a wild ride that steadily unfolds but I watched it last night and it's probably the best documentary I've seen on film-making, a tad self indulgent but I'm 100% for that.

The basic premise is that three hip, edgy young women and a creepy older man film what would be the first(?) experimental movie in Singapore.

Sounds interesting, is it streaming?

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

It's brilliant. Don't read anything else about it!

On 9/16/2020 at 12:25 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

@Loki can you confirm that your mate Richard Stanley isn't a Nazi, thanks.

He made a film about SS nut job Otto Rahn and his search for the Holy Grail, so I can’t rule it out.

• Paid Members

You Can't Kill David Arquette - went in expecting this to be a bit naff but really enjoyed it. Bit of a loveletter to Pro Wrestling with Arquette trying to win some respect in the business by giving another go 20 years after the fact. Some of it blurs the line between fact and fiction but itswell made, suprisingly affecting and Arquette comes off like a real good guy.

Edited by Egg Shen

Once Upon A Time In Iraq is an incredible documentary, which made me angry and sad. In hindsight, watching it all in one go was a bit much.

The resilience, humour and strength that the Iraqi people demonstrate is at times, awe inspiring, and this is brilliantly put together.

The Beach: Isolation In Paradise features an Australian film maker (Warwick Thornton), living in a tin shack in Western Australia. Not much else to add really, that's pretty much it.

You'll like it if you like the 'slow TV' genre as it really just shows him sitting around, cooking, fishing, playing guitar but it's strangely compelling. Makes me feel sweaty just from watching it, I couldn't handle that environment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000mtkq/the-beach-isolation-in-paradise-series-1-episode-1