Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, gmoney said:

Ken Burn's Vietnam series on Netflix at the moment is well worth your time. It's mainly focused on the stories of soldiers and civilians (on both sides), but it's got some fascinating clips of various Presidents tearing their hair out about it. Cracking original soundtrack, as well as the usual Vietnam hits. 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I love anything about Vietnam and even though I've seen a bunch of documentaries about it, I'll always mainline more/

I've started watching America To Me from the director of Hoop Dreams, Steve James. It follows a year in a Chicago high school and the racial diversity and divides within it, it's good stuff but I'm not sure it's on any UK channel/streaming site yet. You can find it at the usual bays of pirates.

On 8/24/2018 at 10:42 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Documentaries are not my field of expertise at all, I watch way too few of them. So I was wondering if anybody knew if there were any good ones out there about ghost towns or lost cities, abandoned places, that sort of thing? Someone just recommended me City 40, anyone know of any others?

There was a series I watched on Discovery or some similar channel called "Abandoned engineering". It was quite decent and might be what you're after, loads of episodes focusing on different places, quite interesting. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, kev2050 said:

There was a series I watched on Discovery or some similar channel called "Abandoned engineering". It was quite decent and might be what you're after, loads of episodes focusing on different places, quite interesting. 

Cheers for that, I'll see if I can find a few episodes.

• Paid Members

Probably late to the party but Evil Genius has taken over my life this week. What a stunningly messed up turn of events. I can't believe this shit is real. The news reporter footage of the arrest will stay with me for a long time. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone watched any of the Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema on iPlayer? I really enjoyed it all. I'd love to see another series of them.

"Five-part documentary series. Film critic Mark Kermode presents a fresh and very personal look at the art of cinema by examining the techniques and conventions behind some classic genres: rom-coms, heist movies, coming-of-age stories, science fiction and horror. In each episode, Mark uncovers the ingredients needed to make a great genre film and keep audiences coming back for more. How do you stage, shoot and edit a gripping car chase or orchestrate the shock moment in a horror movie? What is the secret to sizzling on-screen chemistry?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bbn5pt

On 9/11/2018 at 2:42 PM, Silky Kisser said:

Probably late to the party but Evil Genius has taken over my life this week. What a stunningly messed up turn of events. I can't believe this shit is real. The news reporter footage of the arrest will stay with me for a long time. 

Echoing the praise here as well. Just about to dive into the third episode, still struggling to comprehend how 

Rothstein seemingly walked away with only a slap on the wrist. That's severe police incompetence at its finest.

Do we find anything else about Pinetti? His death seemed like an interesting plot point but I can't felt but feel they somewhat decided to shoe horn it in alongside despite the lack of relevance just to act as a red herring.

• Paid Members

Has anybody had a look at that Michael Palin in North Korea series on Channel 5? I've got it on my planner as it sounds interesting, but I can't say I'm massively experienced in the quality of Channel 5's documentaries.

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Has anybody had a look at that Michael Palin in North Korea series on Channel 5? I've got it on my planner as it sounds interesting, but I can't say I'm massively experienced in the quality of Channel 5's documentaries.

It's bloody good. Granted, it's pro NK but it does provide a glimpse into the batshit despotic nation. It's a real coup for channel 5 too. Definitely worth a watch but if you are anything like me you'll be frustrated not to get a genuine look at the place.