Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

12 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Well worth checking the 30 for 30 see shorts too. They are all free on the 30 for 30 site.

Yep those are really good too. Plus there's the Soccer Stories which are sometimes on BT. 

12 hours ago, theironshake said:

The new HBO documantry about Elvis Presley is amazing. Called The Searcher its the first one i have seen that concentrates on the artistic life of Elvis rather than the sensanalist approch. Its avalible in the usual places as no network has picked it up yet.

Im assuming Sky Atlantic and/or Sky Arts will show it in the U.K. Since Sky shows a lot of HBO programming. I've heard really good things about it too. There's a single CD and 3 disc box set out with songs from the doc too. Mostly all aspects of Elvis life have been documented already so it's interesting they look at him from another angle. 

Sky Arts did a couple of Elvis docs last year. One is more sensationalist, think it's something like "Last hours of Elvis" but the other "Seven ages of Elvis" is quite good. 

11 minutes ago, Really Big Shoe said:

Sky Arts did a couple of Elvis docs last year. One is more sensationalist, think it's something like "Last hours of Elvis" but the other "Seven ages of Elvis" is quite good. 

I prefer the 3 ages of Elvis myself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Did anyone watch the 3 part documentary the BBC did on the Stephen Lawrence murder recently? It's called Stephen: The Murder That Changed A Nation. Me and the mrs have been watching it, we've still got the third part to go yet. It's fascinating yet heartbreaking at the same time. I knew about the case but not in depth really and this goes into so much detail. Footage from the time and new interviews with Stephen's parents and his best mate who was with him when he was killed. As well as police and journalists from the time of the attack and the fallout. 

The most disturbing bit so far was footage from hidden cameras that the police places in one of the accused killers' flat, and they're just casually talking about killing black people while waving knives about. It really is sickening to watch. Then there's an infuriating clip of them walking out of court playing to the cameras like they were celebrities or something. 

Its such a horrible and sad story. Stephen Lawrence would've been 43 now, probably with kids of his own and possibly even grandkids. 

You can still find all 3 parts of the documentary on catchup on Sky. Not sure about Virgin. 

Edited by wandshogun09

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

The most disturbing bit so far was footage from hidden cameras that the police places in one of the accused killers' flat, and they're just casually talking about killing black people while waving knives about. It really is sickening to watch. Then there's an infuriating clip of them walking out of court playing to the cameras like they were celebrities or something. 

If memory serves from the time, wasn't the way one of them was stabbing the air the same trajectory and force that was used in the murder?  I remember them at the court case, I think they were trying to show the Nation Of Islam they weren't intimidated.  Glad the fuckers eventually got done, including the one who got nabbed recently in Barcelona.

• Paid Members

Yeah it was like a downward motion with the knife, coming down from above the head, and Stephen's wounds were consistent with that. Really disturbing. 

They'll obviously never get over it but hopefully his family can find some kind of closure now. Can't help really feeling for Stephen's friend Duwayne Brooks as well, who was with him when the attack happened. He's had to live with the guilt of running away that night but there's nothing he could've done and he was just a scared kid himself. 

Edited by wandshogun09

I watched The Rachel Divide last night. It's about Rachel Dolezal, the woman who was head of a local NAACP chapter and on the board of a Police race relations unit.  It was then revealed that her parents are white.

Really interesting stuff, didn't know about her childhood and the backstory there.  Made me have to think about stuff, my girlfriend saw me shaking my head and tutting at the "I identify as black" stuff.  She asked me how being a supporter of trans rights can dismiss the idea of someone not feeling the colour they were assigned at birth.  I couldn't answer.

Her kids are amazingly strong and articulate, do check it out on Netflix.

• Paid Members

Anyone watched Evil Genius yet? (on Netflix). It's getting some Making a Murderer esque buzz. I've seen episode 1 and I'm in board for the series. I actually remember the crime when it happened, I know nothing of the actual case though.

I've read a lot and listened to a few podcasts all about the crime so thought it may have been a bit boring for me knowing about it all already but I was very wrong! Some brilliant footage of him with the bomb and also police interviews and the like that I'd never seen. Loads better than I thought it would be. Thoroughly recommended!

4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Anyone watched Evil Genius yet? (on Netflix). It's getting some Making a Murderer esque buzz. I've seen episode 1 and I'm in board for the series. I actually remember the crime when it happened, I know nothing of the actual case though.

Cheers for the heads up, I will be watching this as soon as I can. Other documentaries that looks good is one called Wild Wild Country and Dirty Money.

Edited by D@mm