Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

About to watch Working with Weinstein on 4 on Demand and I move to check something else on another tab while the commercials are playing, and the commercials pause until I return to the tab! There must be half as much commercials as there is actual content at this stage.

Anyone recommend which documentary about the West Memphis Three is the best one?

I'm leaning towards Paradise Lost but my research shows me that this movie, while carrying the most cachet, is just a little bit biased.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

Anyone recommend which documentary about the West Memphis Three is the best one?

I'm leaning towards Paradise Lost but my research shows me that this movie, while carrying the most cachet, is just a little bit biased.

Paradise Lost was the original. Id highly recommend it, all 3 parts are worth viewing and are set years apart. 

The other West of Memphis is one film that covers the whole saga.

Id go for Paradise Lost and work from there though, especially if you know nothing about the case.

• Paid Members

Can anyone recommend a true crime/serial killer documentary for my MRs that isn't one of the usual suspects(no pun intended)? 

She loves serial killer docs and flies through them, but it's starting to get really hard to find her ones she hasn't seen. She's watched all the West Memphis three ones, The Jinx, Making a Murderer etc...

24 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Can anyone recommend a true crime/serial killer documentary for my MRs that isn't one of the usual suspects(no pun intended)? 

Dear Zachary, The Imposter, Talhotblond, There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane, Mommy Dead and Dearest, Capturing The Friedmans, Just, Melvin: Just Evil.

They're some that I can remember off the top of my head.

On 2/25/2018 at 9:55 AM, Cod Eye said:

She loves serial killer docs and flies through them, but it's starting to get really hard to find her ones she hasn't seen. She's watched all the West Memphis three ones, The Jinx, Making a Murderer etc...

Iceman Tapes: Richard Kuklinski - Inside the Mind of A Mafia Hitman

Richard Kuklinski was a devoted husband, a loving father...and a ruthless killer. A decade after HBO last visited him in prison, the convicted murderer, who freely admits having whacked more than 100 people in cold blood, takes viewers back inside his cold, calculating mind. In this follow-up to America Undercover's 1992 film The Iceman Tapes: Conversations with a Killer, Kuklinski provides all-new insights about his exploits as one of the Mafia's most notorious assassins...and reveals some shocking confessions for a number of previously unsolved murders.

Edited by Stylin_and_Profilin

Kuklinski is a fantasist. He claimed to have been involved in the murders of mob bosses Carmine Galante and Paul Castellano and Teamsters head Jimmy Hoffa, which anyone with a cursory knowledge of the mafia knows is demonstrably false.

The book written about him by Philip Carlo is mostly fiction.

There was a story about him leaving a guy tied up in a cave with a camera and having rats eat him alive, he even claimed to have filmed it. As I said, vivid imagination.

@Keith Houchen

That movie is partly based on the aforementioned shit book and partly on the much better book "Murder Machine" by Jerry Capeci, a much more respected journalist and writer.

Ray Liotta portrayed "Roy De Meo", a capo in the Gambino Crime Family in The Iceman, and a central figure in Murder Machine; someone whom Kuklinski falsely claimed to have been intimately involved with.

Unfortunately, Kuklinski was basically a nobody and the mob wouldn't have any serious dealings with him.

I thought Michael Shannon's acting, and maybe Stephen Dorff's eerie cameo, was the only saving grace in that movie, which made a mess of the source material.

Sorry for blabbing on but I could talk all day about the Italian American mafia me.

Edited by NoUseforaUsername

• Paid Members

I read 2 thirds of the book and had to give up, he was literally killing one person per page. I got online to read more because it seemed like such far fetched story, turns out it (probably) was.

Trivia fact... Steve Austin got the "Stone Cold" name through watching a Kuklinski documentary.

43 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Trivia fact... Steve Austin got the "Stone Cold" name through watching a Kuklinski documentary.

Not from his tea, then?

@NoUseforaUsername Cheers for the recommendation!  I have often fallen down a wikipedia rabbit hole regarding the Mafia, so some substantial reading is appreciated.

• Members
16 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Not from his tea, then?

Combination of the two. The persona came from Kuklinski's "Iceman" nickname. WWE's contribution was names like Chilly McFreeze and Jack Frost and so on. Then he let his tea go cold...

I watched "Heroin: Cape Cod, USA" recently and it's well worth seeing, albeit very, very bleak stuff. 

Long Shot (2017) Juan Catalan was arrested for a murder he didn't commit. To save his life, all he had to do was prove he was one of 56,000 people at a Dodgers Game that night. That's where Larry David comes in....

Only 40 mins long but good stuff.

Edited by Metallica