Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

21 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

The latest Storyville is about two of my favourite things, North Korea and Laibach and it's worth a watch. Although, I get the feeling the director of the concert was there more for the young girls..

Yeah, that was cracking, and very true about the concert.

• Paid Members

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild Untold Story of Cannon Films was really good. It was never going to be comprehensive enough but really enjoyable. The one out of Bill & Ted who isn't Keanu Reeves came across as a right twat though.

4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild Untold Story of Cannon Films was really good. It was never going to be comprehensive enough but really enjoyable. The one out of Bill & Ted who isn't Keanu Reeves came across as a right twat though.

Alex Winter has big issues with Cannon. Don't you love the bit at the end that tells you that the brothers were making their own version fo the exact same documentary but on a cheaper budget to alter the story lol. Perfection :)

• Paid Members

Yeah, it was a nice touch them acknowledging they got it out before them too.

I don't really know why Winter was on this documentary. Almost everyone had affectionate stories to tell, or at least approached the subject matter in a lighthearted way, but he just comes across as a sour-faced knob. I don't mind documentaries being polemics so having him on was odd. Obviously Death Wish 3 can't have been a bad enough experience for him as it didn't stop him working with them again on Haunted Summer.

Virgin Media gave me a new free box upgrade but I'll lose the stuff I've got on the current one so I better get watching.  Got a few Rich Hall ones and the aforementioned Forever Pure to watch.

Did watch Jim and Andy the other day and thought Carrey was acting a bellend as opposed to being possessed by Kaufman, so to speak.  Modern Day Jim clearly needs professional help and I hope he gets it soon.

• Paid Members

Just watched LA 92 and no matter how much you may know about the Rodney King riots, it's still shocking watching a lot of the events that happened in this. Really good documentary although the portrentous music playing over the riot footage was stupid.

• Paid Members

De Palma is a really good documentary, of immediate interest to anyone who likes his films. It's nice and simple, just a long interview interspersed with clips of his stuff. It doesn't focus as much on his later stuff, which I would have liked because I'd like to know where his head was at making stuff like The Black Dahlia, but it's just enjoyable listening to him talk about his work.

If you've got Sky box sets they have quite a few Ken Burns docs up on there. Jack Johnson, Baseball 10th Innings, Prohibition to name a few. The Civil War multi part doc is on the 30th December. They showed the Statue of Liberty one a few weeks back but I missed it. Vietnam is coming to PBSAmerica in the Spring if you missed it on iPlayer/BBC4. 

There's a really good Roy Orbison doc on iPlayer currently called Love Hurts. It is incredibly sad though towards the end so I'd avoid watching that part if you don't want to get upset. Its very moving IMO but if your a Big O fan I definitely recommend it. 

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

De Palma is a really good documentary, of immediate interest to anyone who likes his films. It's nice and simple, just a long interview interspersed with clips of his stuff. It doesn't focus as much on his later stuff, which I would have liked because I'd like to know where his head was at making stuff like The Black Dahlia, but it's just enjoyable listening to him talk about his work.

Ooh, nice I need to check this out. Do they touch on Phantom of the Paradise at all? 

• 2 months later...