Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

12 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

are them things available on demand through the BT site?

Yep available here

http://sport.bt.com/btsportplayer/bt-sport-films-dont-take-me-home-71364191524384

Thats for the Wales documentary scroll down to the bottom and a few more are there too. 

1 hour ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Oh fuck. How could I have missed that one. Did Billy Hayes admit "Midnight Express" was mostly 90% bullshit?

It's on available on Sky Ondemand so you should be able to watch it. To answer your question

Id say Yes a lot was fabricated. The speech in the court room never happened, he did get sent to an institution though, the guards were mostly alright towards him, his girlfriend swears she didn't push up against the glass but Billy says she did.

Oliver Stone took a lot of liberties with his story making it an anti-Turkey type piece. He goes back to Turkey and publicly apologises for Midnight Express and is welcomed with open arms. I would say that some aspects of the story are true, he is haunted by his visit to the institution he was put in which is now abandoned. I'd definitely give it a watch to form your own conclusions but for me I'd say it's more like a 70/30 balance of truth and BS

• Paid Members

Cheers for the heads up on LA '92. I'd read alot about the Rodney King stuff years back, but some of the footage here is a real eye opener. Some appalling stuff, especially the scenes were motorists are being pulled from their cars and beaten. And the pure brazingness of the looting/arson whilst the store owners look on in hysterics. 

Fantastic documentary. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

Cheers for the heads up on LA '92. I'd read alot about the Rodney King stuff years back, but some of the footage here is a real eye opener. Some appalling stuff, especially the scenes were motorists are being pulled from their cars and beaten. And the pure brazingness of the looting/arson whilst the store owners look on in hysterics. 

Fantastic documentary. 

Haunting images from that scene.

mcnr69ozf6uy.jpg

Documentary about the Philadelphia Mafia

The mob war between Joey Merlino's young Turks and boss John Stanfa in the mid-nineties was the stuff of Hollywood.

It features in the second half of the video.

The first half features the rise and fall of Stanfa's predecessor, the bloodthirsty Nicky Scarfo, overseer of one of, if not the most, bloodthirsty mob reigns in U.S. history.

"Manhattan Mob Rampage"

Documentary about Vic Amuso and Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso, boss and underboss of New York's Lucchese Family; the latter a psychopath who makes Joe Pesci in Goodfellas look like a choirboy.

The Lucchese Family was in rude health before Amuso and Casso took the reigns. Within five years, both were sentenced to life in prison, ending a bloodthirsty and paranoid reign, which saw many hits ordered and even more mobsters defect to the government - scared of falling under Amuso and Casso's suspicions.

Anthony Casso interview

Casso later cooperated with the goverment, "ratting" on Amuso and his former underlings in order to get a lighter sentence, but the government would eventually renege on the agreement after discovering just how much of a lunatic he was/is. 

You can probably figure out why in the last video I posted.

All of these are very watchable.

Edited by NoUseforaUsername

LA 92 was really interesting, I fell down a YouTube rabbit hole about a year ago and watched hours of the original news footage and home recordings of the riots, but LA 92 had plenty of footage that I've never seen before. The shot of the black priest trying (in vain) to stop the rioters beating the white lad who was pulled out of his delivery truck in particular is very poignant. Had never seen the disturbing footage of the mob spray painting that poor unconscious lad nWo style either.

Did anything ever come of the federal investigation into the King beating cops who the LA jury acquitted? or was it purely a PR move to try and placate the black community and quell the violence?

• Paid Members

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling is absolutely fantastic. I've been a Shandling fan for years, so I'm an easy audience, but it's such a personal look at his life that I'm sure most would find it interesting. Shandling is forever restless and sadly you're never sure if he was ever happy, certainly not for most of his life. The 2nd half can be really quite sad, at times, what with his failing health and failing relationships.

They even touch on that Ricky Gervais interview.

I've watched both parts 4 times now. It's easily the best thing Apatow has made.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Watching Wild Wild Country on Netflix. I'm only 1 and a half episodes in, but it's pretty fascinating already. It's about a guru and his followers who upped sticks completely in the 80s from India to Oregon, settling on acres of farmland next to a town of about 50 retirees and causing utter chaos. I knew nothing about this going in, so I'm pretty gripped. Already 3 great characters in the guru, his utterly driven and unapologetic secretary Ma Anand Sheela and a simple-faced fat former mayor in dungarees. I'm guessing it doesn't end well. 

It's a fantastic documentary series.  Totally compelling stuff - one of those stories that if you wrote it as a fiction, people would dismiss it as utterly unbelievable.  I don't want to get too into talking about it though until everyone's finished it.

Flint Town is next up for documentaries on Netflix - looks good too.

Flint Town follows the under-staffed and under-funded police department of one of the worst parts of America for crime and poverty whilst also covering the politics of the city and how the divide between Government and public is viewed across all sectors. The water crisis is featured but not enough to really delve into how bad the situation was/is.

It's easy to watch and there are characters that really endear you to them, especially the ones who have been in the city for a long time.

Overall it gives itself a good account of how things are in the parts of America that really need help. I have nothing but respect for the hard working and good natured people of Flint after watching this, they deserve better.