Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• 3 weeks later...

Halfway through LA 92, the documentary about the riots. 

It's engrossing. Unusually, it doesn't have any talking heads. It's all footage from that time period.

It really builds to a crescendo at around the 30 minute mark, and ever since, it's been a visceral thrill ride.

Highly recommend.

You've probably heard of the term "going postal". It originates from some of the earliest mass shootings, which were committed by postal workers.

Murder by Proxy: How America went Postal is a relatively brief (73 mins) documentary about some of these mass shootings, which I recommend.

Colleagues etc. are interviewed.

Unusually enough, some of the shooters aren't entirely portrayed in a negative light as some colleagues shine a light on a culture of workplace bullying and harassment.

Pretty interesting stuff.

Edited by NoUseforaUsername

• Paid Members

Did anyone catch the two part documentary on David Koresh called Waco: Madman Or Messiah? It was on the Crime & Investigation channel over the last two weeks, might still be available on the catchup thingy. Really fascinating/disturbing viewing. There's loads of audio of Koresh talking to the FBI during the standoff that I hadn't heard before and lots of footage in there as well. Plus interviews with some of the survivors, who mostly still seem to believe that Koresh was the messiah and one guy at the end even saying he believed Koresh would be reincarnated during his lifetime. Absolutely batshit. 

• Paid Members

I watched part 1 last week, id watched some Waco documentaries a few years back but this new one is really good. Koresh' female followers were basically what groupies are to rock stars, they just wanted that dick.

Ive been watching Wild, Wild Country on Netflix too, get on that if you are on a bit of a cult trip wand.

I watched this quite good doc on iPlayer last night about Miranda Barbour. When she was 18, her and her boyfriend lured a bloke in with a sex ad on Craigslist and killed him for shits and giggles. There's footage of their interviews and they're proper stone cold killers. A right couple of wrong-uns.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p063cjmb/miranda-barbour-serial-killer-or-liar

Ever hear of Mark Twitchell? An aspiring filmmaker from Canada who was inspired to become a serial killer by the TV show Dexter.

Similarly, he lured a man to his death by posing as a woman.

Some good footage on YouTube including that of a ride along with two caricatures of cops trying to extract a confession from him while he sits obstinately silent in the back seat.

Before I go on a tangent, Gerard Schaefer is the be all and end all when it comes to serial killers.

The interview with him on YouTube is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen.

Yep. Most of them are repeatedly regularly too. They don't show Straight Outta LA and One Night in Vegas no more though. A few of the ESPN Films haven't been shown on ESPN/BT to my knowledge

26 Years: The Dewey Bozella Story

Right to Play

As part of the third season of 30 for 30s they haven't shown yet

The Two Bills

The Last Days of Knight

Down in the Valley 

• Paid Members

The new HBO documantry about Elvis Presley is amazing. Called The Searcher its the first one i have seen that concentrates on the artistic life of Elvis rather than the sensanalist approch. Its avalible in the usual places as no network has picked it up yet.

I forget the name of it but Paul McCartney hosted a doc about Buddy Holly, which helped nurture my appreciation for the early years of rock music.

I never understood why McCartney gets a bad rap. He seems like an inoffensive guy to me. 

Compared to Mike Love, who seems to court his reputation as a dickhead.