Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Most of it is blurred out but you can see it happening. You see the Islamic States shooting to the back of the head ones close up. I wouldn't say the graphic content is right in your face, it's normally in the top left and you need to squint to make it out. You know the scariest part in it, for me, is when somebody gets a bunch of toddlers to chop off a teddy bears head off with the ISIS black flag in the background. Doesn't sound creepy, but you really need to see it. All younger than my nephew. That'll haunt you.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

That reminds me, when I was on holiday this year and whilst sitting in the bar the news came on the TV and it showed all these kids with ISIS with guns, flags and all sorts, it did look quite disturbing whether it was true or the video was made in a way to strike fear into people but never seen that over here on the news but did look slightly terrifying, adults you come to expect but kids doing all that.....its quite dark.

Edited by Briefcase

I mentioned City of Ghosts to my lady who emotionally blackmailed me in to watching it even though i told her i was in no where near the right kind of mental state to view it. She looked away most of the film then fell a sleep about half way through it. I won't be revisiting it with her.

Did anyone watch 'Billion Dollar Bills and how they changed the world' last night on BBC 2? Thought it was an intriguing watch on how money has changed the world, from cash to cards to contactless etc. If this sort of thing is for you then well worth a watch.

It's mind blowing how quick things have changed, how quick companies have grown and how many have benefited from others, all whilst the banks have tried to adapt with it all. 

Edited by Briefcase

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 30/09/2017 at 7:07 PM, Egg Shen said:

Quality little 40 minute documentary just gone on Netflix called Long Shot, i won't say too much about it but it's a true crime case about a guy potentially facing the death penalty for murder and how his lawyer tried to prove his innocence using some very unlikely sources. The more i say may spoil it but it's really good and it's not too long, worth a look.

Yep, it's brilliant, the great Mr. Seven just recommended this to me on Twitter. Do not read any synopses for this and you will be well rewarded.

• Paid Members

I've really enjoyed watching Ken Burns docs over the past couple of months, but feel like I could do with a bit of a break, having watched Baseball, The War, The West and some of Vietnam in quick succession.

Any other, preferably historical, documentary makers anyone would recommend? Just feel I need a bit of a change in directing style for a while. 

• Paid Members

Not necessarily a "maker", but I'm making my way through WW 2 In Colour, which is on Netflix. It's pretty well done. Although, I do think The War is superior.

For a change of pace, I'd also highly recommend Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts. He's a good storyteller and, similar to Burns, he clearly spends a lot of time getting his informed research up to scratch.

• Paid Members

Hardcore History is a fantastic podcast. They're all fascinating, but the four part 'Ghosts of the Ostfront' episodes are particularly good. Nothing else has given a me a sense of the grinding, relentless horror and the massive scale of the Eastern front in WW2, and it's not something that is often focused on, outside of Stalingrad. The older episodes are no longer free, so it will cost you $5.99, but it's well worth it. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Just finished Tower, an animated documentary about the 1966 shootings at the University of Texas in Austin. A brilliant piece of work. I can't say the animation necessarily made it any better but it's still really powerful and a great watch. It's on Netflix.