Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I appreciate we're steering this back in to the Hogan/Gawker chat and there's a specific thread for it, so I'll just say this and by all means we can move more in depth craic over to that thread from now on, if needs be. (We're also discussing issues that have been addressed in that thread... but let's be honest, it's fascinating).

Well hackers aren't out of the question, he was associated with radio broadcast and mingled with famous people, it's not out of the question that he was hacked considering some of the press don't give a fuck about ethics in regards to hacking. Nowt to do with knowing about his secret adidas samba shoe box behind the fridge.

However, Yup, it's far fetched... still possible though and unless it was brought up in court and unless they claim he 100% is behind the release, then he can't be charged and that's why he 'got away with it'.

Regarding your first point. I agree it's a private comment, but still an illegal comment? I don't have a clue about the laws in that particular state hence the question mark, so my point here is pretty void in fairness. However, if a security camera that you didn't know about records you plotting/committing a crime, or using illegal terminology, I'm pretty sure you can be done for it. Racism is a crime, so yeah, I think you see where I'm going with this. 

Similar if someone catches driving recklessly on the roads and you're recorded by a dash cam, you didn't know you were being recorded.

Along with football agents who are recorded 'discussing' bribes in front of under cover reporters, they didn't know they were being recorded. 

But like I said, it depends on the law of that state regarding racist comments, and entrapment is a strange law that I personally can't get my head around.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Nobody comes out looking good in the Hogan/Gawker trial. Sometimes there just aren't any good guys.

That said, I agree that the documentary was tosh. Too committed to proving a point to really acknowledge enough that in targeting Thiel they're defending some real nasty shits in the process; if the underlying point had been that freedom of speech means having to stand up for some right pricks, it might have been a more interesting story.

For me the most interesting part of the Hogan trial was that it almost like putting the Hulk Hogan gimmick on trial. Mad shit like him being allowed to wear a "formal bandana". So much of it was built on interrogating Terry Bollea about who Hulk Hogan was - at what point does Terry stop and Hulk begin, how much bullshit is he allowed to spout in the name of "staying in character", what can or can't be considered part of the Hulk Hogan Brand rather than just the words and actions of Terry Bollea. That's a far more interesting starting point to a documentary, for me.

• Paid Members

Just watching The Wolfpack again.  Is it just me who's amazed they haven't found parts of the Dad in the rubbish chute yet?  It's like a ticking time bomb.

14 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Just watching The Wolfpack again.  Is it just me who's amazed they haven't found parts of the Dad in the rubbish chute yet?  It's like a ticking time bomb.

I never got round to this and you've just jogged my memory so will give this a whirl as it sounds a fascinating story.

I recently watched West of Memphis and 13th, both of which were amazing and so well made. 

13th in particular was incredibly emotional to watch, and took me a while to get over and if I wasn't so tired and on my phone, I'd post more thoughts but definitely one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Cracking documentary called "Britain's toughest prisoner". 

Follows the life of long term prisoner and ex-boxer Paul Sykes. Filmed in the 80's, bloody brilliant watch.

My favourite line at 21:20 mins in.

"Remember what the conservative party announced.. spending 216 billion pounds on widening the motorways.. to deal with the increase in traffic in the year 2025... petrol runs out in 2019, who they kidding?.. they're building them for skateboards".

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Really Big Shoe said:

Cheers for that Kaz. You can buy Paul's book here for Kindle

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0165PQPKW/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=&sr=

It also got reprinted too.

Nice one, I was wondering about the book. I bet it's a crackers read. He's got such a strange personality, it's a proper Yorkshireman grafters tone and swagger, with a slice of maniac, all wrapped up in an Alan Partridge.

I'm intrigued to know how his kids turned out.

Edit - well it seems that one of them (Michael) is doing life for killing an ex-copper in a botched armed robbery. He also appears on the strangeways programme.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

There's a new book about him too http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/middlesbrough-born-authors-book-revisits-12687356 Paul Sykes passed away ten years ago according to the article. If he stayed out of prison and won the Commonwealth belt he could have had a decent boxing career. But yeah he had a great "gimmick" if you will. Reminded me of Mr Bob Backlund turned up to 11 when he was putting his kids in their place and the other stuff. He's also reminiscent of Charlie Bronson, not surprisingly they were mates and both former boxers.

• 2 weeks later...

DId anyone see the Diana documentary thing on four the other day? I know these things can be directed to only show one side of the story but watching it I did feel for her in how she was treated by the Royal Family and what they tried to do to her to ruin her reputation/life. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just been watching ICARUS

A keen cyclist who enters an annual race (basically a Tour de France for amateurs) is fed up constantly finishing lower down the results table so sets out so do a documentary exploring the murky depths of performance enhancing drugs. As it turns out he approaches someone he knows who was high up in the USA anti doping circles but who isn't keen to get involved for obvious reasons but in true fashion of Mike Reid in Snatch he "knows a man who knows a man".............that man ends up being the HEAD of the Russian anti doping agency who for whatever reason is happy to get involved (!?!?!) and talks the guy through basically how to systematically develop a program to not only get on the 'juice' but also how to get round any drug tests.

What transpires is something like a sub-plot to a James Bond film as the Russian basically drops his guard and opens up to being complicit in state sponsored doping by the Russians going back decades and running all the way to the very top of the interior ministry to the Minister for Sport and even as high as Putin himself being complicit in it; basically coinciding with the whole media storm with Russian being banned from competing a few years ago in the Rio olympics.

Not really doing it justice with that synopsis but fuck me it was jaw dropping stuff; KGB agents switching out 'dirty' urine samples and the chap involved fleeing to the US and being put in the witness protection scheme. It's a slog for a documentary at just over two hours but absolute essential viewing.