Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

I watched it there this evening, torrented it from XWT as couldn't get it on Kodi or any of the normal torrenting sites. Really good watch, just highlights how obviously useless Vince is at anything that isn't carny wrestling. Amazes me that NBC were actually willing to get into bed with him initially, and by the interviews with other media industry types they were regretting it from Vince's first XFL press conference onwards. The desperate tactics once ratings had tanked were so cringeworthy too (making Rock cut a promo on the stadium screens slagging off the media, telling Jesse Ventura to feud with the coaches, hiring local strippers to mess around in a hot tub during a match etc) and anyone could see were never going to stop the slide, and was just giving the media more ammo to point and laugh at Vince.

I'd say Vince put his fist through the telly every time Bob Costas popped up as a talking head too. 

• Paid Members

Watched Capturing The Friedmans the other day, absolutely thrilling stuff. Extremely well made, almost on a par with The Imposter.

It's fantastic, isn't it. One of those rare things were literally every step was documented. I'm calling bullshit on some of the accusations, it seemed like mob mentality at the time but the dad was dodgy as they come.

• Paid Members

Been wanting to get into 30 for 30, can anyone one recommend any that are worth a watch, besides the XFL one?

This one is great - and I know ZERO about American Football:

http://www.espn.com/30for30/film?page=pony-excess

This was great too: http://www.espn.com/30for30/film?page=the-two-escobars

Edited by herbie747

Guys, you've got to help me, you're my only hope.

Me and my mate used to love a good documentary (just posted in another thread about Botton:Strangest Village in Britain), and there was another one that I loved as well.

It would have been around 2003/2004 I reckon and I remember the VHS copy had a UKTV (Documentary/People?) ident on the ads. It centred around a young lad called Martin who was a right little shit, and I can't remember if the documentary was about ASBOs or shoplifting but I think it was called something like Britains Biggest Shoplifter.

Scenes included Martin shoplifting and showing off his wares, he gets a job and is getting ready for his first day with a Stone Island jumper on (Millwall shirt collar turned up and visible underneath), gets sacked straight away for fighting and in the best bit, is in a car with his parole letter and screws it up, lobs it out of the window and says "See ya later parole, no one gives a fuck about ya!"

Does anyone know what this is? I've been searching for a good 10 years for it. It could've been on BBC originally with it being on UKTV, and it's not Secret of the Shoplifters or whatever that was called. If anyone knows, or knows where I can search, I will be eternally greatful. It's become an obsession.

• Paid Members

SuperBacon's post reminded me of one of the best things i've ever seen on telly and have never been able to track down since.

Back in 2006, Channel 5 aired a series called the Teen Tamer, and on there was a kid the likes of which I'd never seen in all of these 'my troublesome child' type shows. 

This kid, honestly.  Michael his name was, 12 years old just constantly swearing and gobbing everywhere.  Telling this woman whoever she was to go fuck herself, like some sort of influential prison inmate telling her how he 'ran the show here'.

Memory is really sketchy, but one of her solutions was to give him a giant bit of sponge that was kept outside in the shed for him to spit on, hit or write swear words on instead of say them out loud, cue hilarious scenes toward the end of the episode with a sopping wet bit of sponge with FUCK written all over it.

The best bit though, was one of her interventions.  Seems Corrie was Michael's kryptonite.  They took his telly out of his bedroom as a punishment, and he snuck into his sisters room while they were all watching it, and put it on in there.  They rumbled him and he starts shouting "I FUCKIN' SEEN IT! TRACY BARLOW!! TRACY FUCKIN' BARLOW, I SEEN IT!!"  absolutely tragic on reflection, but 25yr old me found that piss funny, just never seen anyone get so animated over Coronation Street before.

Anyway, in researching this post, I stumbled across a horrible article on the Telegraph website about the shitbags that churn out this sort of stuff...

Like Lindsay, many people initially think reality television will improve their lives. They believe the show's experts will heal their relationship, advise them on parenting or change their appearance.

George Sweeney, 50, from Fife, has a 13-year-old son with autism. He was persuaded he would get advice and help if the family agreed to be filmed over several weeks.

But things looked very different when the result was screened in 2006. The producers, Talkback Thames, in a sin of omission, edited out references to Michael's condition.

The title – the family was told – was Families. When it was shown on Five, it had become The Teen Tamer: Foul Mouthed And Furious.

Mr Sweeney said he was given every assurance that the family's input would be valued.

'We agreed to take part in the hope that Michael's difficulties and special needs would be helped,' he said. 'But the programme has been more of a setback than a solution.  The family feels very disappointed and hurt.

'Michael is now more withdrawn and anxious than before as a result. All we are left with is our ongoing search for a positive outcome for Michael's problems. While the broadcasters move on to another family, we are left to pick up the pieces.'

Made me sodding miserable that has.  I don't like this growing up lark I tell you.

• Paid Members

Been wanting to get into 30 for 30, can anyone one recommend any that are worth a watch, besides the XFL one?

If you want a damn good cry (and who doesn't) watch "To the Limit: The TIm Richmond Story", "Without (Len) Bias", "Jordan Rides the Bus" and "Into the Wind", which is so sad, it's even got it's own Wikipedia page.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

For the 30 for 30s I'd say check out the ones you have a interest in first of all, for example if you like boxing there's No Mas, Chasing Tyson, One night in Vegas etc. However I can say I haven't seen one bad 30 for 30 documentary. They vary in quality depending on the subject matter but on the whole they are good to great. Some of my favorites are (in no particular order):

No Crossover - Trial of Allen Iverson

Winning Time

When the Garden was Eden

Four Falls of Buffalo

One Night in Vegas

Chasing Tyson

No Mas

Muhammad & Larry

Bad Boys

The U Pt 1 & 2 (the first one is the better of the two though)

Broke

Straight Outta LA

The Band that wouldn't die (about the Baltimore Colts marching band)

Silly Little Game

June 17th 1994 (really recommend this one, as I said a while back about the OJ one, this is like an unofficial companion piece)

OJ Made in America (definitely recommended too, in 5 parts)

Jordan rides the bus

Elway to Marino

You Don't Know Bo

Bernie & Ernie

Run Ricky Run

The best there never was (Marcus dupree)

Playing for the Mob

Bad Boys (about the Pistons)

Brian & The Boz

I Hate Christian Laettner

The Prince of Pennsylvania (Foxcatcher)

As for the saddest ones, definitely those Baz mentioned. Also Benji, Once Brothers, Survive & Advance come to mind.

Does anyone know if the 85 Bears one has aired in the UK yet & This Magic Moment (about Shaq, Penny and the Magic). A few other 30 for 30's haven't aired either.

• Paid Members

"Small Potatoes: Who killed the USFL?" in the 30 for 30 strand shows up Trump even more as a dickhead. If you need more convincing.

http://www.espn.com/30for30/film?page=small-potatoes-who-killed-the-usfl

Just Trump screaming at the interviewer for 30 minutes IIRC. Wanting to leave every five minutes.

Edited by bAzTNM#1