Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

No book to my knowledge, unless Vlade Divac has written one. The wiki page about it is quite interesting: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Brothers

It's really about the Yugoslavia war and the division between Croatians and Serbians caused by the war.

Some 30 for 30s are based upon a book or cover an important story. Such as the Playing for the Mob one is all about Henry Hill and his associates involvement in Point shaving at Boston College. This is talked about in the Goodfellas film and is what prosecutors used to put away Jimmy and Paulie since they didn't really get them for the Heist where they stole over $5m.

Best there never was is based on a book called the courting of Marcus Dupree. Prince of PA is essentially a documentary to the Foxcatcher movie. Surprised they couldn't have included it as a DVD extra. One night in Vegas is about Tupacs murder in Las Vegas and the events leading up to it since he attended a Mike Tyson fight at the MGM grand. There's quite a lot of coverage about that. Some 30 for 30s do need a companion book to accompany them as they don't really tell the entire story.

The ESPN films docs are worth checking out. Catching Hell, The Announcement, The Real Rocky are just a few examples and they are connected to the 30 for 30 series.

For NFL fans the Americas Game and a Football Life are really recommended too. The Steve Gleason one is upsetting as it tells the story of his battle with ALS/MND. However how Steve is dealing with such a debilitating disease is incredibly inspiring.

Guys, you've got to help me, you're my only hope.

Me and my mate used to love a good documentary (just posted in another thread about Botton:Strangest Village in Britain), and there was another one that I loved as well.

It would have been around 2003/2004 I reckon and I remember the VHS copy had a UKTV (Documentary/People?) ident on the ads. It centred around a young lad called Martin who was a right little shit, and I can't remember if the documentary was about ASBOs or shoplifting but I think it was called something like Britains Biggest Shoplifter.

Scenes included Martin shoplifting and showing off his wares, he gets a job and is getting ready for his first day with a Stone Island jumper on (Millwall shirt collar turned up and visible underneath), gets sacked straight away for fighting and in the best bit, is in a car with his parole letter and screws it up, lobs it out of the window and says "See ya later parole, no one gives a fuck about ya!"

Does anyone know what this is? I've been searching for a good 10 years for it. It could've been on BBC originally with it being on UKTV, and it's not Secret of the Shoplifters or whatever that was called. If anyone knows, or knows where I can search, I will be eternally greatful. It's become an obsession.

Incredibly after years of searching I've found it. It was called Lifters. 4 part documentary from 2001 on BBC2. Still can't find it online though. I need to see this particular episode again.

• Paid Members

Beware_the_slenderman_poster.jpg

Watched Beware the Slenderman yesterday. It's a good watch, it splits it time between focussing on the actual crime and then focussing on how something like that can happen. It's pretty scary to think what people can be influenced by, it'll also probably put you off letting your kids loose on the internet. The footage of the two girls describing the crime is just creepy. It's over on Sky Atlantic catch-up if you fancy it (i watched on NOW TV).

Not really. It's two kids stabbing one of their friends and claiming they were doing it 'for Slenderman'. Creepy as fuck, but not really related to the Slenderman story at all.

Haven't watched the doc yet, but I imagine it's about how unsupervised kids can be influenced by the media they consume.

• Paid Members

Yeh, they two 12 year old girls lured their best mate into the woods and stabbed her like 18 times because they believed killing her would grant them access to Slenderman's mansion. The girls go into detail about how they went about doing it, bonkers.

• Paid Members

Just watched the 85 Bears 30 for 30 documentary. Its brilliant. Watch it. Even if you're not a fan of American Football. I'm a Bears fan and learned so much new information from this wonderful piece of work. It really is of a very high quality.

• Paid Members

Just watched the 85 Bears 30 for 30 documentary. Its brilliant. Watch it. Even if you're not a fan of American Football. I'm a Bears fan and learned so much new information from this wonderful piece of work. It really is of a very high quality.

Downloading now - thanks for the tip off. Love the 30 for 30s - don't even like American Football, but the SMU one was amazing too.

• Paid Members

I'm a big fan of the Americas Game series. There is an America's Game episode based on the 85 Bears. Which is also good. However the 30 for 30 one is Sooo much better. Mike Singleterry is a great in it. What are peoples thoughts on the XFL 30 for 30? I haven't watched it yet.

Watched the Bears 30 for 30 earlier, really good. There's a Football Life about Mike Ditka too. He also wrote a book about the 85 Bears.

Haven't seen the XFL one yet but will once it airs on BT. Believeland didn't air today it recorded a College basketball game instead. I assume it will air again soon though.

Also they have the OJ 6 part doc on iPlayer now its in 3 parts instead of about 3 hours each. Don't think it was on BBC2 or BBC4 so maybe its just an iPlayer thing.

So finally got round to watching a few 30 for 30 documentaries over the course of this afternoon into the evening

Started with Small Potatoes : Who Killed the USFL? When I saw this title, I initially expected it to be about one of the failed attempts to make football a thing in the US before the MLS came around but was actually about the 3 season American Football league in the early to mid 80s that was played during the spring. Very interesting especially once a certain racist current President got involved. 

Next up I watched June 17th 1994 the infamous day where the opening ceremony of the 1994 World Cup, Arnold Palmer playing in his final US Open, Game 5 of the NBA finals between the Knicks and the Rockets and the Stanley Cup celebrations by the NY Rangers were all overshadowed by the OJ Simpson car chase

After that I watched Tim Richmond : To The Limit about the life of the NASCAR driver and how it was cut tragically short due to AIDS aged just 34. This was incredible just for the moment they talk about his attempted comeback after his diagnosis and the stigmata attached to it at that time

Next was The Day The Series Stopped which chronicled the events that occurred before, during and after a devastating earthquake hit San Francisco delaying game 3 of the 1989 baseball World Series between the Giants and the Oakland Athletics. This was the most emotional of the five that I watched, seriously powerful viewing

And finally I watched one of the most recent episodes This Was The XFL which doesn't need much explaination. What I found the most interesting parts of this was the sheer panic of the networks when the Jennifer Lopez episode of SNL had to be held back because of the XFL game airing before it going into double overtime and Vince's appearance on Bob Costas' HBO show