Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Long Shot (2017) Juan Catalan was arrested for a murder he didn't commit. To save his life, all he had to do was prove he was one of 56,000 people at a Dodgers Game that night. That's where Larry David comes in....

Only 40 mins long but good stuff.

Some cracking discussion about this in this thread last year. It sounds brilliant, still haven’t got around to watching it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

BT Sport Films have a documentary coming up on Channel 4s Football Italia and Italian footballs golden age

http://sport.bt.com/football/bt-sport-films-explores-golden-era-of-italian-football-in-the-uk-during-the-1990s-S11364258138950

'Golazzo: The Football Italia Story' is the latest instalment of BT Sport Films' acclaimed documentary series and will premiere at 10pm on Saturday, 31 March on BT Sport 2.

19 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

that looks great! BTs doc on The Crazy Gang a few years ago was really good too.

Yep that was a egg. There's also Rocky & Wrighty, Don't take me home about Wales, Ironman about Sean Fallon, one about football academies are all really good too. Just as good as some of the ESPN 30 for 30 docs in some cases. 

11 hours ago, KJHenley said:

Can't wait for that one. As children my brother and I always thought it was 'GOOOOOOAL LAAAAZIOOO', and that Lazio must be the best team in Italy. For that reason, we hated Lazio.

Same here :DAlso the Gazzetta was about Gazza :laugh: AC Milan were like everyone's second favourite team too. Used to watch Gazzetta Football Italia regularly and the matches when they were on channel 4 so its one I'm looking forward to also.

Edited by Really Big Shoe

• Paid Members

LA 92 is tremendous. The story of the LA riots has been told quite a bit recently, and well, but the documentary has some great footage and tells the story very well.

I was initially unsure if I'd like The Defiant Ones because at the start they set it up as "look we sold our overpriced headphones for $3B. Aren't we geniuses?", which is gross to me for several reasons - but mainly because it's easily one of the least interesting parts of either mans life. Thankfully after that intro they don't dwell on it much at all until the final episode, instead focusing on telling the story of the aforementioned interesting parts.

Dre (while undeniably driven) is surprisingly humble and reflective about his life and accomplishments - they even touch on him hitting women.

It can be funny, which helps a lot, particularly in the case of Iovine, who can be a bit ridiculous. It also has every talking head you'd want to hear from - Bruce Springsteen being the wise old sage throughout.

What I admired most about Dre is, while Iovine seemed to find little joy in what he ever does, Dre despite all the other bollocks seems to forever be working his arse off at his craft. Clearly it's his first love, and it's inspiring seeing someone like him still putting in the work and striving for perfection, something that Springsteen touches on. You get the sense, while Dre has a great life, he's at his most engaged and enthusiastic when talking about music and the process of producing.

Both on Netflix.

• Paid Members
On 21/03/2018 at 8:26 AM, Really Big Shoe said:

Yep that was a egg. There's also Rocky & Wrighty, Don't take me home about Wales, Ironman about Sean Fallon, one about football academies are all really good too. Just as good as some of the ESPN 30 for 30 docs in some cases. 

are them things available on demand through the BT site?

• Paid Members
On 28/02/2018 at 7:28 PM, Really Big Shoe said:

Midnight Return, the story of Billy Hayes and Turkey is on tonight on Sky Arts. 

Oh fuck. How could I have missed that one. Did Billy Hayes admit "Midnight Express" was mostly 90% bullshit?