The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

It's cheap as fuck too. You can take your own booze into the arena & it's nice being at a festival & it not feeling like they're trying to rinse you at every turn.

yeh, similar kind of setup to Bloodstock i guess. After attending a smaller festival like that it really puts me off going back to a Download-size festival, everythings just easier and cheaper.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Is 2000 Trees family friendly? We normally go to Y Not but getting out of there last year was like fleeing the Somme. At The Drive In is enough to pique my interest.

Yes, very.

We went for the first time last year & chose 2000 Trees as we wanted a festival where we could take our daughter but that best fit our music tastes. Kids are free, there’s a ‘forest school’ (free) thing with arts & craft stuff and musical instruments. It’s a really relaxed atmos & as it’s such a small site (5k capacity) there tends to be a lot less cunty behaviour as you bump into the same peeps all weekend. Less sense of anonymity than the likes of Download or R&L. Our daughter absolutely loved it, she couldn't walk 10 yards without someone 'high fiving' her or making a fuss. We booked for this year immediately after it. If you got the funds I'd recommend plumping for VIP over standard though.

1 minute ago, Dead Mike said:

Yes, very.

We went for the first time last year & chose 2000 Trees as we wanted a festival where we could take our daughter but that best fit our music tastes. Kids are free, there’s a ‘forest school’ (free) thing with arts & craft stuff and musical instruments. It’s a really relaxed atmos & as it’s such a small site (5k capacity) there tends to be a lot less cunty behaviour as you bump into the same peeps all weekend. Less sense of anonymity than the likes of Download or R&L. Our daughter absolutely loved it, she couldn't walk 10 yards without someone 'high fiving' her or making a fuss. We booked for this year immediately after it. If you got the funds I'd recommend plumping for VIP over standard though.

Excellent, cheers for that, think that's me convinced then. First year we went to Y Not was like that, took our two boys who were 4 and 7 at the time and they loved it, same thing with high fives and folk pointing to my eldest son's light up shoes. Dancing in a field full of like minded people to Fun Lovin' Criminals with a 4 year old on your shoulders takes some beating. Last year was a different vibe and it's soured us on festivals a bit. Got until 1st Feb to campaign to the wife we need to go to this.

Any love for The Damned out there in UKFF land?

41 years young & back on the road with a new album out soon (the last one was over a decade ago). I am off to see them tomorrow in Leeds & can't wait to see my all time favourite band for what is probably about the 20th time.

I am of the strong belief that you must go out there & enjoy all the old musicians while they are still around. Sadly they have been  dropping like flies recently :(.

• Paid Members

2000 Trees is literally the place I'm happiest on earth, it is just the best time and people are so relaxed and there never seems to be any aggro anywhere. The announcement is great, ATDI was always heavily hyped after some festival announcements by them but even still its great to be able to see them.

Creeper in The Cave though. That could be an absolute match made in heaven.

• Paid Members

I like the Damned a lot and they deserve more credit for their place every in punk history (although if they're still making music I certainly haven't heard any that was made anywhere near this millennium)

Speaking of Horror punk I continue to be green with envy at the original Misfits gigs that pop up occasionally In the states, the next one is their return to their hometown of New Jersey with Suicidal Tendencies (who are another of my absolute faves) supporting, I can't imagine how good that's going to be.

Speaking of Danzig, he's apparently doing a handful of 30th anniversary dates including Europe which is a must see for me.

Edited by Call me Bellend

• Paid Members

I'm more than up for that, I get half price tickets as I take a friend who's aware of my anxiety disorders and can make sure I'm looked after and there's an action plan if anything goes wrong with my mental health, but I always make sure there's an hour or two each day we spend apart before agreeing to meet back up in a particular place, so we can meet those random festival folk who become your best mate, grab a drink or a nap or go see a band one persons into but the other despises. Definitely up for catching up with folk.

• Paid Members

I caught the Damned back in 2008 - I don't remember much of the gig, as I was pretty out of it, but definitely remember it being bloody brilliant, and a lot of fun. Played a much more varied set than I expected (they played "Curtain Call"!), and never seemed to take themselves too seriously.

On 1/30/2018 at 12:45 AM, Shy Dad said:

I'm more than up for that, I get half price tickets as I take a friend who's aware of my anxiety disorders and can make sure I'm looked after and there's an action plan if anything goes wrong with my mental health, but I always make sure there's an hour or two each day we spend apart before agreeing to meet back up in a particular place, so we can meet those random festival folk who become your best mate, grab a drink or a nap or go see a band one persons into but the other despises. Definitely up for catching up with folk.

Now that my favourite boys of all time, Enter Shikari have been announced, I am 100000% going. Might even take the kids seeing as they love them too