The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Last year was great but there were a lot more 16 year old having their first beer there than previous years. Plus they changed the layout which was confusing at first.

Quite a few people are thinking that the Gaslight Anthem may be one of them.

I'd love it to be Gaslight Anthem but I fear it's wishful thinking over any kind of logic. They've not been announced for any Euro fests but Brian Fallon has. I expect him to be there solo tbh.

Download have announced 65 acts for this years festival. It's a varied bill, but nothing I would want to go for the full weekend for and I can't believe that in 2018 they've got Ozzy Osbourne headlining with Marilyn Manson sub-headlining. If it had been 15 years ago when Ozzy could just about string a sentence together and Manson was still seen as controversial it would've been great. Now though, not so much.

9 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I saw the Bezerker once in a club and the poster tagline went something along the lines of "Be warned: This is not a musical event" or something similar. It was at the time when they were being pushed as being the loudest band in the world, wern't they in the Guiness Book of Records at some point? if i recall correctly though they didnt wear the masks when i saw them, my memories of certain shows at that time are a bit of a blur.

The song 'No-One Wins' was submitted for Fastest Drumming Performance. Everyone knows that Manowar are the loudest band, due to only playing at a trillion decibels.

I'm assuming you'll have seen them after 2004 after they dropped the masks because everyone kept making Slipknot comparisons, which was the style at the time for any group that had a mask gimmick

Edited by WyattSheepMask

32 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

I'd love it to be Gaslight Anthem but I fear it's wishful thinking over any kind of logic. They've not been announced for any Euro fests but Brian Fallon has. I expect him to be there solo tbh.

Well they're doing some '59 Sound 10 year anniversary shows around the same time in the US so it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to come over and do some European ones.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Download have announced 65 acts for this years festival. It's a varied bill, but nothing I would want to go for the full weekend for and I can't believe that in 2018 they've got Ozzy Osbourne headlining with Marilyn Manson sub-headlining. If it had been 15 years ago when Ozzy could just about string a sentence together and Manson was still seen as controversial it would've been great. Now though, not so much.

That's been Download's raison d'etre for years now, though - old-timers as the headliners, because they're the only acts that consistently get people through the gates. Heavy metal, as a genre, seems to value longevity over anything else, and - for a variety of reasons - there's been much in the way of new headline-worthy metal bands popping up over the last few years. It's only natural that, sooner or later, they start running out of decent headliners, or using the same old names starts to become a matter of diminishing returns.

Download's not really been "for me" for years now, but if I were there I'd probably go and see G'n'R, Manson and Ozzy just to cross them on the list, but otherwise there's not a huge amount that jumps out at me as someone I'd go out of my way to watch - L7, Baroness, Rolo Tomassi and Turbonegro are about the only bands on there hitting that mark, and then Cradle Of Filth, Body Count, The Bronx and Babymetal at the "may as well, as I'm here" list.

• Paid Members

i think its a solid looking lineup, im not going but there's plenty there id be interested in. 

I do find Downloads choice of main stage bands strange these days though. The top halfs always have the big guns but it feels like the other main stage worthy bands of the days are spread over the top halfs of all the smaller stages. 

Bloodstock have announced that Exhorder are playing too, well happy with that.

Given the new Machine Head album a couple of listens. There's a couple of passable tracks that will make into this touring cycle, opening with the title track and 'Beyond The Pale' (which is their "we're still like modern Metallica, honest!") being a decent two song opener, but the rest is pretty forgettable and 'Triple Beam' is fucking horrendous, but fair play to them for trying some a little different. I'd still take it over Supercharger and The Burning Red though (sorry Egg).

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I seem to remember you saying liked (or at least didn't mind) Burning Red. Both that and Supercharger are MH albums that I'll never get along with.

This will get alot of backlash from so-called hardcore fans but it's not going to be the end of them, just somewhat of a mis-step. 9 albums in, you've got your fanbase fairly established and they'll forget about it in a couple of years

• Paid Members

nah not a fan of either record...i did like The Burning Red on release though, at the time i was all in on nu-metal and the style shift suited teenage me down to the ground, i didnt really notice the outrage though until Supercharger came out and was univerally panned.

It wasnt until years later that i listened to The Burning Red and has a 'what was i thinking?' moment. I aint listened to either in years though, i'll re-visit them. I saw the band on the Supercharger tour though and they never faltered in that environment.

With the new album i like the fact that they are doing whatever they want. Robb Flynn basically admitted that it wasnt until they started doing the 'Evening With...' shows that he realised how much the fans actually like the critically panned material. Its probably prompted the shift again, they are at a point where they aint trying to satisy the critics.

The new Tiny Moving Parts album is predictably great. If you like upbeat, twiddly emo/pop-punk with slightly melancholy lyrics then this will be right up your street. Cannot believe the guitarist plays all the parts live as well...They're touring soon.

Seek out for a happy time.

Oh, and Set Your Goals and Capdown being added to SlamDunk??? UUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH. So fucking happy

On 1/3/2018 at 6:46 PM, wordsfromlee said:

A lot of people thought it was going to be Weezer last year but it ended up being Nothing But Thieves. The Decendants could do it as they headlined Hevy in 2012 but they don't seem like the kind of band that 2000 Trees would get to headline.

I hope the new Distillers stuff is good. I wasn't a fan of Coral Fang. I preferred it when Tim Armstrong wrote their songs. Both Spinnerette and Brody's solo album were average at best.

Well fuck me. I wasn't expecting THAT band

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

i really should try to attend 2000 Trees. Its always a great mix of bands that still the nostalgia box but i still love and a crop of new bands that i like. They always get a great mix.

It's cheap as fuck too. You can take your own booze into the arena & it's nice being at a festival & it not feeling like they're trying to rinse you at every turn.