The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

I really want to love Ho99o9 but they're so hit and miss, their last album went from some great industrial metal to the worst generic punk within a few minutes. They're also compared to Death Grips far too much but they're worlds apart.

Also, i wish my VHS player worked now. I have a bunch of those Manga releases in a box somewhere.

13 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Also, i wish my VHS player worked now. I have a bunch of those Manga releases in a box somewhere.

I wish I never sold off my VHS collection, there's so many of those old films you can't get on DVD/Bluray.

I got into Sepultura because of this one.

Also KMFDM because of this.

Edited by Rey_Piste
added another link.

Some of the films that were later released on DVD etc have different English dubs too, the Manga originals were often awful and added needless fucks to the dialogue but I loved them.

And to keep this on topic have some classic J-Rock from Bubblegum Crisis

I'll throw in the ace Devilman OST too

Edited by Merzbow

57 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I really want to love Ho99o9 but they're so hit and miss, their last album went from some great industrial metal to the worst generic punk within a few minutes. They're also compared to Death Grips far too much but they're worlds apart.

Thought you'd be the man to ask about them, what should I listen to first?

• Paid Members

caught them supporting The Dillinger Escape Plan last year. Pretty unique, id prefer it if they had an actual band with them though rather than singing along to tape.

Dillinger always took out strange bands.

Edited by Egg Shen

40 minutes ago, pitseleh said:

My latest musical discovery has been Julien Baker. I've been spinning her recent album 'Turn Out The Lights' all day. Her voice cuts through me like butter. I get strong Elliott Smith vibes from her. Give her a listen. 

Check out Phoebe Bridgers too if you like Julien Baker. 

12 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Anyone off to the Hell is for Heroes/A/Vex Red tour that starts this week?

I hopefully am. Can't wait to see Vex Red again.

12 hours ago, pitseleh said:

My latest musical discovery has been Julien Baker. I've been spinning her recent album 'Turn Out The Lights' all day. Her voice cuts through me like butter. I get strong Elliott Smith vibes from her. Give her a listen. 

How someone that young can be so talented, write songs of that maturity at her age, I'll never know. Saw her (and met her) a few months back, and she's an actual angel. This is breathtaking:

• Paid Members

Anybody caught up with the new Brian Fallon album yet? It blows Painkillers out of the water. Come Wander With Me, Etta James, Little Nightmares and Sleepwalkers are especially great songs. I'd go as far to say it's his best work since The Horrible Crowes, and lyrically probably his best ever.

Seeing him next Tuesday, I was looking forwards to it anyway but after listening to Sleepwalkers I'm beyond excited.