The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Slipknot, I'll Nino, Spineshank and Taproot would be mine. If you removed Taproot you've got a decent triple threat of Roadrunner Records turn of the century acts

i know a lot of music fans site certain record labels as "their label", it happens mainly with hardcore bands where fans would support all the bands on a specific roster. For me, in the UK my label was Roadrunner Records, its not as cool as an underground hardcore label but i was all over it. Back in my teens i'd goto the website daily and read the news about what was going on with the label. Id literally buy records off the fact that it was released on Roadrunner not even knowing what a band sounded like.

They used to have a 'free shit' section on their site too, it got updated quite often and would consist usually of sampler tapes/cds and stickers, i always got in on that action.

Great times.

I used to be a bit like that, not necessarily just to support an entire label but more a case back in the CD buying days of if I couldn't get sample track on that HMV listening station I'd look at the artwork first, the bands logo and the label they were on and I'd have a pretty strong idea if I was going to like it or not. Think I only bought one stinker doing that one but discovered quite a few lower level bands that weren't getting much press.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

2000 Trees headliners are being announced next week. One on Radio 1 Rock Show on Sunday and the other in Kerrang next Wednesday. Can't wait, love that festival.

It's the best. My headliner predictions for this year are The Offspring - Enter Shikari - Frank Turner. Last year was probably the best festival I've attended, Download 2009 comes close.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

I used to be a bit like that, not necessarily just to support an entire label but more a case back in the CD buying days of if I couldn't get sample track on that HMV listening station I'd look at the artwork first, the bands logo and the label they were on and I'd have a pretty strong idea if I was going to like it or not. Think I only bought one stinker doing that one but discovered quite a few lower level bands that weren't getting much press.

what was the stinker?

• Paid Members

yep, always and still am a fan of Earache. Household Name and Lockjaw Records are two others i have fond memories of.

I saw the Bezerker once in a club and the poster tagline went something along the lines of "Be warned: This is not a musical event" or something similar. It was at the time when they were being pushed as being the loudest band in the world, wern't they in the Guiness Book of Records at some point? if i recall correctly though they didnt wear the masks when i saw them, my memories of certain shows at that time are a bit of a blur.

7 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

It's the best. My headliner predictions for this year are The Offspring - Enter Shikari - Frank Turner. Last year was probably the best festival I've attended, Download 2009 comes close.

Last year was great but there were a lot more 16 year old having their first beer there than previous years. Plus they changed the layout which was confusing at first.

Quite a few people are thinking that the Gaslight Anthem may be one of them.

On 23/01/2018 at 3:18 PM, Merzbow said:

DUO78YlV4AAbziV.jpg:large

I feel dirty posting this but who are your choices?

Kittie have to be in mine, I'll always have a soft spot for them. Korn playing stuff from Follow The Leader and before as the headline, Spineshank and Taproot get dual opening duties.

Deftones, Sevendust, Taproot and Spineshank.

That said I'm massively embarrassed by my nu metal past and aside from Deftones, who remain consistently interesting, I picked the 3 least embarrassing bands in my head.

Where were Ultraspank though? I had a couple of their albums and they were head and shoulders above most of the toss at the time.