The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Anybody caught up with the new Brian Fallon album yet? It blows Painkillers out of the water. Come Wander With Me, Etta James, Little Nightmares and Sleepwalkers are especially great songs. I'd go as far to say it's his best work since The Horrible Crowes, and lyrically probably his best ever.

Seeing him next Tuesday, I was looking forwards to it anyway but after listening to Sleepwalkers I'm beyond excited.

Yeah, loving it but I'm not sure if I prefer it to Painkillers. I wasn't sure of Painkillers at first but it grew & grew on me and after seeing it live it became an absolute favourite, only 1 bad track (Mojo Hand). Seeing him next Weds in Manchester, if you're not already on it make sure you check out Dave Hause in support.

• Paid Members

@Dead Mike I used to be a big fan of The Loved Ones and really liked Dave Hause's first solo album, but haven't really checked him out since. Will definitely listen to his recent albums before Tuesday.

Painkillers was definitely a grower for me too, but Sleepwalkers hit me from the first listen. Either way, he's got to be my favourite artist working today, he hardly ever puts a foot wrong.

Glenn Tipton is stepping down from touring duties with Judas Priest because of his Parkinson's Disease. Andy Snesp will be stepping in to play future dates. The band are due to begin a US tour in March shortly after they release their new album, and headline Bloodstock over here in August.

Tipton was first diagnosed with the disease 10 years ago, and has said that he may still perform at certain shows by playing a couple of the less demanding songs

• Paid Members

I discovered their album on a random Spotify session a while back, really good. Sounds like they were on the verge of splitting anyway and this just pushed them into doing it.

That Psycho Las Vegas thing is quality, I didn't even know The Hellacopters were back doing the rounds, I'd love to see them.

• Paid Members

Didn't mention it at the time, but i got to see Hell is for Heroes on their reunion tour a couple of weeks ago, bloody wonderful. The Neon Handshake still sounds fucking brilliant and the band sounded fresh and relevant, i'd love to see them stick around and record another record. Crazy to think that a band that had limited success in their hey-day can come back 15 years later and headline venues bigger than they ever did. It feels similar to the Refused situation.

'A' supporting was fun too, always had a soft spot them and actually got to see them live just after they released their first record way back in the day. It's a bit of a shame that most people remember them for the tune, Nothing and peg them as a Scuzz one hit wonder band because they've got some cracking tunes in the back catalogue, specifically on the first two albums where they had a fairly unique sound, they went slighty more generic after and aimed for the radio.

Vex Red were quality as well, they are band i strangely passed over when they were initially around, they sounded right up my street though.

These nostalgia tinged nights are great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Not sure if they're on anyone else's radar, but the new Yamantaka // Sonic Titan album is an absolute belter.

I'd only heard their first album before - going to have to go back and check out the second one now, which passed me by - after seeing them live at ATP around 2012, and I was completely blown away. Very much up my street.

The new album manages to sound, in places, a little bit more "commercial", though only in the sense that it has the odd riff that wouldn't feel out of place on a more conventional metal track. It's wrapped up with a lot of concept album nonsense and faux-Japanese folklore, with the conceit being that it's apparently the soundtrack to an unreleased '80s anime - you need to know literally none of this to enjoy it. As a whole, it feels like what you'd get if you tried to find the centre of a triangle that had NWOBHM, the Twin Peaks soundtrack and Boredoms as its three points.

• Paid Members

sad to hear that Cave In bassist Caleb Scofield has been killed in a car accident :( Cave In were always a bit of an odd band out during the whole emo-boom era, they were always associated with the bands in the genre but were essentially a hardcore band that decided to aim for the radio a few albums in. I'll never forget seeing them play Leeds Festival in '03 or '04 and opening the set playing some of their more alt. rock Antenna era stuff before Scofield took over on vocals half through and they blasted through some of their old hardcore stuff, the crowd were confused to say the least. RIP.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/cave-in-and-old-man-glooms-caleb-scofield-dead-at-39