The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I’ve not really paid any attention to Ozzy for a while. Then when flicking through the channels the other night I spotted him and Sharon on that goggle box thing. His ability to speak and coherence seems worse than ever. 

Is he still able to perform to any point in which the audience can understand anything he’s trying to sing?

This isn’t a knock on him or his health, I’ve stood up for him in the past when people said he was a mess, I thought he was still able to convey what he was trying to... however now it’s really bad. Sharon was finishing off his sentences only after he attempted to say 1 word.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

He can still perform to a degree, but nothing compared to what he used to be able. He has a monitor in front of him with the lyrics so he can get through the show. I'm sure he gives it his best when he performs, but he just doesn't have it anymore, and hasn't for a long time in all fairness. That was one of the reasons I stayed away from the recent Black Sabbath tours. We saw Sabbath when they headlined Download in 2012, and he sounded awful then, so I can only imagine that after an alcohol addition relapse and a marriage seperation later it's gotten even worse. 

While personally underwhelmed by the announcement, he is still somewhat of a draw, and you never know how many more chances you'll get to see him before he sniffs it. Also intrigued to see who else gets the headline slot as he seems to have filled the 'heritage' quota, and if Download will actually promote someone up the card (Bring Me The Horizon are probably the biggest name in UK metal that arn't named Iron Maiden) or just book someone from the same pool of headliners they've always relied on

It seems Avenged Sevenfold are second headliner at Download. With Metallica rumoured for the third. Do people still go festivals just for the headliners?

Those three do nothing for me (I don't mind Ozzy but seen him before) but I'd never decide if I was going based on that.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Twatters said:

It seems Avenged Sevenfold are second headliner at Download. With Metallica rumoured for the third. Do people still go festivals just for the headliners?

Those three do nothing for me (I don't mind Ozzy but seen him before) but I'd never decide if I was going based on that.

Metallica aren't rumoured for the 3rd, the smart money is on Guns & Roses. Yes, most people go for the headliners, that's why festivals put the majority of promotion behind the top acts.

18 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Metallica aren't rumoured for the 3rd, the smart money is on Guns & Roses. Yes, most people go for the headliners, that's why festivals put the majority of promotion behind the top acts.

Maybe it's just the majority of my friends wanting Metallica then. It's always been about the whole line-up for me and I'm sure some festivals would sell well even without announcing headliners

16 hours ago, Merzbow said:

If we're recommending bands we just found I'm throwing Dawn Ray'd out there, they just released one of the best black metal albums of the past few years. They're right at the top of the lefty metal scene now.

https://dawnrayd.bandcamp.com/album/the-unlawful-assembly

These dudes are my friends. Excellent band. It' absolutely mental that they'e on Prosthetic Records. Simon and Fabian used to be in the screamo band We Came Out Like Tigers who you should also be checking out.

I was already into them but somehow only just realised the guys were in a new band. I've kinda lost my way when it comes to black metal, taking more of a doom/sludge journey these past couple of years.

I see they've played with Ancst too who I wholeheartedly recommend.

• Paid Members
On 11/8/2017 at 9:43 AM, Dead Mike said:

G'N'R confirmed now. 

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

The new Glassjaw album is out today, it got released out of nowhere a few weeks ago, first one in 15 years.

I listened to it today. Good but nowhere near Worship & Tribute or Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence. I really enjoyed the last 3 tracks though. Thought they were killer.