The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

I've mentioned here before, but everyone should check out Julien Bakers' new record Turn Out The Lights, an absolutely stunning album.

The fact that she is releasing music as assured and mature as this at 22 years old is frankly astonishing. Anyone who is a bit emotionally fragile when it comes to listening to music, should tread carefully when listening to the track Shadowboxing, utterly heartbreaking. An incredible talent.

• Paid Members

i'll pick it up to read on the shitter.

did anyone see the Chester tribute show? i might try finding a rip online, some interesting collaborations.

edit* the full thing is on youtube.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

So I’ve been part of a hunt for the last 15 years to find the full length version of a song which so far has only had about 10 seconds of public outlet.

Its by the Galactic Cowboys (Sons of Thunder) in the film Airheads. Details are below.

- Song: Don't Hate Me Because I'm Beautiful. 
- Performed by Sons of Thunder 
- Written by M. Colvin, M. Sonnier Jr., A. Doss, B. Huggins. 
- Produced by Brian Garcia & Sons of Thunder.
- Courtesy of Geffen Records/Wilde Silas Records.

Initially people assumed that that was the only part of the song ever created (the chorus hook and snippet of verse in the film). So after linking in with numerous forums over the years it was identified that the song must been created in its entirety due the fact they were real recording artists signed with a label and band members have confirmed as much, however, no one knows who has the actual recording. It’s never resurfaced as of yet. 

One of the groups re-started the search in 2013 but there has never been any further follow up. 

Subsequently Galactic Cowboys have recently signed (after a huge break) with a new label and have an album coming out on the 17th.

I’m really gutted that the song never saw the light of day. It sounds like it could have been a belter.

Link to the film, the song comes on approx 9:30 in.

• Paid Members

Yeah that’s generally the craic. As I mentioned above the band were contacted and they didn’t have a clue where the recording would be. But yeah, obviously someone at Geffen oh MB had it, god knows if the person is question is even around anyone. It could easily have been destroyed, lost etc as it was 23 years ago.

I imagine the forum you found might have been something I was linked in with at the time. There were a canny few of us looking for this during the 2000’s up until about 2013. 

The band stated at one point they would consider re-recording the song but it’s never happened. 

I wonder if there are any similar stories like this regarding other bands. The vast majority of the time they are released on a compilation OST but not this one for some reason. 

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

ive read stories of labels holding records and refusing to release them, cant think of any off the top of my head but it happens.

There's tons of cases of bands recording whole albums and shelving them for whatever reason. The Deftones famously did that with Eros. The Foo Fighters and Weezer are two others which spring to mind.

I've had a similar search for around 15 years for a song from Little Nicky. It's on one of the deleted scenes called "Father and Son Jam", I think it's the second song. The vocal sounds suspiciously like Ozzy but it would appear it isn't. I can't find any other details on it, the scene isn't even on Youtube. Been doing my head in for years.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

I've had a similar search for around 15 years for a song from Little Nicky. It's on one of the deleted scenes called "Father and Son Jam", I think it's the second song. The vocal sounds suspiciously like Ozzy but it would appear it isn't. I can't find any other details on it, the scene isn't even on Youtube. Been doing my head in for years.

I know exactly which song you mean, bollocks, I’m going to have to hunt for this too. It’s mother fucker by SiK. However no one knows who they are.

I swore for years that there’s a snippet of a song on bill and teds bogus journey, from vague memory, when they eventually meet station in heaven. I’ve convinced myself for years that it has an ever so slight riff to ‘through the eyes of ruby’ by the pumpkins. Anyway, I’ve gone back loads of times to try and listen out for it but I’ve never come across it. I’ve started to wonder if I caught it on a special edition/directors cut/deleted scenes... or if I’ve made the whole thing up, which I doubt.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
On 06/11/2017 at 12:57 PM, Kaz Hayashi said:

Anyway, I’ve gone back loads of times to try and listen out for it but I’ve never come across it. I’ve started to wonder if I caught it on a special edition/directors cut/deleted scenes... or if I’ve made the whole thing up, which I doubt.

The Mandela Effect :confused: