The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

5 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Thought I was in minor news, soz

😂 +1 

Anyway, I'll say that I love hearing all the "classics" when I'm out but equally new stuff. This is where a Room 2 comes in handy. Slam dunk after party nailed it with their different rooms but I spent all night in the pop-punk room to be honest 

• Paid Members

If I was booked for a rock/metal night, I'd always aim to get the first two hours - hardly anyone there at first, so can get away with playing whatever I like, as it starts to get busier I can play the requests that I actually like/own/make sense, and then when the next DJ takes over, I can say, "oh, so-and-so asked for some Tenacious D, by the way", and fuck off to the bar.

Having a bit of another nostalgia afternoon and remembered this absolute banger of a song and beast of a band, Mclusky. Only ever saw them live the once (supporting SamIam), but they were excellent. Good bands around this time in Million Dead, Jetplane Landing, Reuben, Yourcodenameismilo, ThisGirl, Dartz, Tellison who were all banging out this angular post-hardcore shit. Was bang into it at the time, even more so now. Anyway, this is excellent..."My Dad is bigger than your Dad..."

• Paid Members

McLusky were pure class. Anyone who can write the lyric "everywhere I go I want to travel on my man-legs", or end a song screaming "DANNY BAKER~!" is fine by me. Especially when the same song contains an all-time great McLusky line, "There's an 8% chance that you know Charles Dance, and you're no damn friend of mine".

18 minutes ago, mim731 said:

@SuperBacon If you haven't already, it's worth checking out Future of the Left, formed by former members of McClusky and Jarcrew.  Well worth a listen if you liked McClusky, Million Dead etc.

Ah Future of the Left are wicked, as were Jarcrew!!! I always leave out loads when remembering to be honest. One of the good things about Spotify is the Bios and Related Artists bits as all of my favourite people tended to be in like 15 different bands (Yeah looking at you Schreifels and Matranga!!!!), so it helps piece everything together. Got lost down the fuzzy guitar rabbithole and having a lovely time with Jawbox right now...

• Paid Members

i weirdly never saw McClusky despite being Welsh and attending a lot of local shows around that time. I saw Jarcrew a bunch of times though, always great. They reformed to play a one off show with Midasuno in Cardiff a year or two ago too which was quality. I never thought the album matched the quality of their live show though.

SuperBacon named some great bands there though, Jetplane Landing are of the most underrated UK bands of the last 10-15 years. 

• Paid Members

yeh, i remember em. Saw them a few times as well. Im pretty sure ive got an EP of their i might have bought at a show, never heard an album though. 

That batch of bands was pretty weird because it got lumped in along with all the emo-core myspace boom type stuff that happening but it was a different kettle of fish. It was an odd time.

25 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Does anybody remember This Girl? They were from Rotherham and seemed be the next big thing for a while in early 2000/2001 after seemingly getting loads of big bands to wear their shirts in Kerrang.

Yeah, mentioned them in my post. Saw them live (can't remember where, but 'a festival' ) and they were better than on CD, but yeah they looked like they were gonna be big, then just disappeared.

@Egg Shen Good point, and most of these bands were neither emo (as it was interpreted then), or punk, but kind of fit in to a genre of it's own. Noisy, brainy post-something? Then came along Test Icicles* and we all quietly left the whole genre alone didn't we?

*They weren't too bad really were they?

Jetplan Landing Once A Spark is an excellent album. Think some of them are crew for *shudders* Frank Turner now...

Edited by SuperBacon

Demo's For The Family by thisGIRL was wicked! They had a song called Moustache Fit For A King on a Rocksound CD which was supposed to be on the upcoming new album but it never happened. Shame as that song was brilliant. They all got back together but as a new band called Skeletons & The Empty Pockets who were quite good from what I remember.

I saw Mclusky at 2000 Trees a couple of years ago as part of their little run of reunion shows they did. They were great but you could tell Falco really didn't want to be doing it. He got the singer from St. Pierre Snake Invasion to sing about half the tracks.