The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I know a lot of people still prefer to Shikari's earlier work but its utter guff. Its the sound of a band who have an idea in mind but who havent figured out how to execute it yet. People still love it though, weirdly.

7 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I know a lot of people still prefer to Shikari's earlier work but its utter guff. Its the sound of a band who have an idea in mind but who havent figured out how to execute it yet. People still love it though, weirdly.

Each to their own, I mean they're an incredibly important band to me, so I love most of their stuff. 

Its been great to see them evolve as a band and find their feet more and more with each release. The amount of "fans" bemoaning the latest album as it is so different to Take To The Skies is just bizarre. It's as if they want their favourite artists to just keep churning out the same old shit. 

Why wouldnt you want an artist to evolve?

• Paid Members

thats a common thing amongst rock fans. 

I find a lot of the bands that came out around the same as Enter Shikari evolved into much better bands than they were when they initially got popular. Bands like We Are the Ocean & Deaf Havana, even Bring Me the Horizon. They all got popular but then evolved into very different bands. Some survive and thrive, others fall away whilst fans complain about the change in direction.

It's crazy, most of my fav rock/metal bands have changed drastically over the years with some changing genres almost every bloody album. Black Metal fans have been the worst for it imo but we've had this conversation on here at least twice now.

But I will say there are still some people who bitch and moan about Ulver, even though they changed away from metal all the way back in the 90s.

11 hours ago, lightningxlock said:

The Ulver argument is utterly ridiculous at this point. I remember when they headlined Damnation Fest a few years back and I had some foreign dudes stood next to me telling me every few minutes how shit it was because they weren't playing any metal. 

Ah, the good old 'I'm not enjoying this, but I'll stand here and watch it anyway' routine 

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/oct/12/decapitated-band-members-charged-with-rape-in-spok/

All four members of Decapitated have now been formally charged with rape.

Two members have been charged with 2nd degree rape, while the other have been charged with 3rd degree rape.  This is on top of the charge of 1st degree kidnapping that all four had been previously charged with

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Martin Eric Ain from legendary Swiss thrash band Celtic Frost has died. They're one of my favourite bands and for me Monotheist is undisputedly the best comeback album ever, it never ceases to amaze me how great it is. Sad it all ended on bad terms and now with M.E.A gone the book is permanently closed on that incredible band. R.I.P.