The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

never got around to mentioning it, but did anyone goto Bloodstock after? thoughts?

I went again this, got extremely lucky with the weather again and it was just a great time. Band wise there were some stella performances, Ghost's headline set was the same set they've been playing for a while but with the setting and added pyro it was majestic, the sound was perfect too. Notable sets from Megadeth, Obituary, Amon Amarth, Decapitated, Skindred (another band lambasted for playing the festival, they went down an absolute treat, brilliant set as always) and Hatebreed...im missing a few but id need to check the poster.

Quick note about King 810 too. I only went to see them because of the hype/intrigue around them. Musically they don't really do much for me but i wanted to see them in a live setting. It was one of the sets of the weekend, they were a member down so they piped their guitar sound in through a laptop. In most circumstances you'd think that would come off as a bit of a farce, but the focal point of King 810 is the vocalist David Gunn. On a festival of primarily heavy bands the intensity was un-matched, the fucked videos playing as they performed just added to the poetry/confessional nature of the delivery and it all came off as genuine (something the band have been questioned of not being), if Gunn is a fraud, he's a fucking good actor. Blew me away...i'll probably still not listen to them but in this setting they were fantastic.

We were only there for the Saturday but we had a good day overall.

King 810 were certainly an interesting act to see, but predictably got shot down by the Bloodstock faithfully. Presumably because they don't have enough songs about wizards or dragons, or maybe because they're simply not tr00 metalz! It's incredible how many fans want so little variety at festivals, which is what festivals are supposed to be about. Both their albums are decent enough of you don't try to read too much into them. I'm still in two minds as to whether or not they're just working the gimmick for all its worth or not

I like Hatebreed, but usually I can watch them for about half an hour and I'm done. But this time, despite them just doing what they do, it seemed to really click and their hour set flew by.

Ghost's headline set was exactly the same as what they did on their UK tour earlier in the year, but we were expecting either that or it to be mostly the same with maybe a couple of songs switched about. I had a guy who when he noticed my Ghost tshirt ask me what they were like as a live act. I said without being bias I think they're great but can see why they're not to everyone's taste. He reckoned that Kreator should have been the headliner, but that they would have asked for too much money to do so. As the were in the subheadliner slot, I don't know how much more he would think they'd be asking to play an extra 30 minutes. Also alot of people saying that Ghost "shouldn't be headlining", which for a festival the size of Bloodstock is absolute bullshit. Ghost are a big name at the moment and will have helped shift tickets, which is another thing that will have had over Kreator. Even if they had headlined, they won't have shifted any more tickets based on Kreator for playing for 90minutes instead of 60minutes. And that's the aim of the game in the end, to shift tickets. 

As far as the announcements for Bloodstock 2018, it's great to see them push Gojira into the headline slot and they got a great pop too, but that could be down to happening straight after Kreator. The Nightwish announcement I can take or leave

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Yeh Kreator's slot was pretty much perfect, they brought the headline gimmicks anyway. Ghost at night in the open air is what it's all about.

...as for the Bloodstock faithful. As much as they make a noise online, at the festival i never see it, everyone seems to go down fine. I've never seen a band get close to what i'd call a negative reaction.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Kreator, they were great. I just don't see what more they could have added to the festival in terms of their show or in ticket sales just by playing an extra 30minutes. But no, they were great.

And that's the other thing with the Bloodstock Faithful. Like you said they make a right racket on Facebook on their own forum, but it's such a small microcosm of the audience (the forum seems to have about 20 regular contributors), it's hard to take them seriously as they represent such an insignificant portion of the  paying crowd. We've been the last few years, and we've seen a bunch of people in Ghost tshirts, with Ghost patches on their jackets etc. But if you were to read the online forum, you'd think it was a case of 'If Ghost Play...We Riot'. When in actuality, I'd bet there were a bunch of folk who want to see Ghost, but unwilling to admit it in case they were to lose their tr00 metalz~! cred

• Paid Members
On 28/08/2017 at 8:09 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Jesus.  Do you think Disturbed and their shite cover have started some form of horrible, horrible trend?

wouldnt surprise me, it happened in the 00's with nu-metal. There were some shockers then, not an album went by that didn't have a dodgy pop cover on it.

Well as with every time Bloodstock say they're going to make an announcement, alot have jumped to the Judas Priest conclusion. It's happened so many times now that's become somewhat of a running joke. Having said that, to claim "it's our biggest yet" would give the impression that it's a big name that hasn't played the festival before.

On the flip side of that, you've got people guessing at the likes of: Sabaton- who played the subheadline spot last but I can't see shifting many tickets to casuals; Emperor - who've headlined before, Rob Zombie - who has headlined before; Lamb of God - who have...

...you get the picture. Oh, and a couple of people guessing at Iron Maiden, but they're either trolling or have mental problems. So outside of fans randomly guessing, there doesn't seem to be anything to suggest it will be anyone in particular, but by claiming it to be "their biggest bloodstock yet" fresh off of headline slots by Ghost and Megadeth, it would suggest a massive name making their Bloodstock debut, which has to piss out Dave "I invented thrash metal" Mustaine no end. I'm going to steer clear of guessing at anyone in particular so as to not get my hopes up.

Id like for it to be Judas Priest, and with a new album on the horizon I can see why people, other than the ones that guess at them every year, are speculating for them. But with Bloodstock operating on such a tight budget, it's going to take either them dropping their asking price, which I don't see happening, or Bloodstock are going to have to make some sacrifices

Edited by WyattSheepMask