The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Bloodstock met with Manowar years ago, and the negotiations didn't go well. Demands included: name be changed to 'Bloodstock Presents: Magic Circle Festival'; 60% of all merch takings, all other stages to finish 30 minutes before Manowar play, £700,000 down payment 

There were other demands, but those are the ones that stick in the memory

• Paid Members

a mate of mine says Manowar every year, are they even that big? I know they have a cult following but there's very little said about Manowar these days.

Judas Priest is a logical shout, again though, they get mentioned every year. Its like the Aerosmith at Download rumor...that finally happened though.

A friend of mine suggested Alice Cooper with his new album but he's headlined before.

21 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

a mate of mine says Manowar every year, are they even that big? I know they have a cult following but there's very little said about Manowar these days.

They're nowhere near as big as Joey Dimaio thinks they are. They draw well in mainland Europe and failed Soviet states,, but in the UK they couldn't even sell out Academy venues last time they came over in 2011, drawing an approx 300 to the show in Cardiff. That was another money losing venture, only that time it was Metal Hammer that were footing the bill

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Re: Misfits - I reckon the only one that would have a real chance of pulling off would be Download, as I would imagine they would also command a high asking price which out prices the other much smaller festivals

Bloodstock have already announced Gojira (first time headlining) and Nightwish (playing for the first time in 10 years). Nightwish are that more commercial band you speak of, and whilst I agree that King Diamond would be good and he did headline a few years back, the festival has grown since in terms of the calibre of act they can book. I was really pleased to see them push Amon Amarth into the headline slot this year and give Ghost a similar opportunity. Whilst they're not on the same sort of level, its what gives them a bit of an advantage over the likes of Download, who rely on the same pool of acts to fill the headline slots.

Its all pure speculation at this point, but rather than pin all my hopes on a particular act, I'm going to just let it play out see what happens.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Stepping up one band a year to headline is a very cool move. The Bloodstock headline slot is a tricky one now because they've exhausted pretty much all possible headliners.

Edited by Egg Shen

Batushka are getting big and are playing pretty much every European festival this year, I think they'd be a great headliner for one of the smaller stages next year. They have a similar live presence to Ghost but with the esotericism and "kvlt" factor turned up to 11.

Cannabis Corpse have a new song out, they seem like a silly gimmick band at first but after listening they're far better than the band they're aping.

18 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Batushka are getting big and are playing pretty much every European festival this year, I think they'd be a great headliner for one of the smaller stages next year. They have a similar live presence to Ghost but with the esotericism and "kvlt" factor turned up to 11.

I'd prefer Cult of Fire, it's pretty much the same thing but better.