The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

I did that with Isn't Anything by My Bloody Valentine, with a band name like that I expected some goff rock shite but what I got was the sound of hoovers mating, I just didn't get it. All these years later and it's one of my fav albums of all time and I'd listen to it over anything I actually liked back then.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

The amount of albums I bought off the back of good covers and then had to do this was unreal.

my biggest case of that was buying Sepultura's Morbid Visions album.

I'd heard Roots and Chaos A.D. in mates car and they had blown my mind, i'd never heard anything like them. I vividly remember going into HMV and buying Morbid Visions because it was the album cover i like the most of their other records (and likely the cheapest cd on the shelf). In hindsite the cover is pretty shit so i don't know what i was thinking. But listening to that album was a crushing disappointment, i'd never heard straight up death metal before, not less poor quality, low budget death metal but the Sepultura on that record is not recognisable to what they had become, it was a mixture of disappointment, confusion with a little fear added in because Morbid Visions is a nasty little piece of work.

I had a similar experience with Pitchshifter actually (thought i bought that for their name and not the album cover). I bought Industrial on the cheap around the time of getting into www. and i didn't think it was the same band, i thought there'd been a mix-up at the cd factory.

Katatonia's Viva Emptiness for me. I'd read the reviews in Kerrang and Metal Hammer were they'd given it 5 Ks or whatever and how it was this blackened death metal masterpiece. The cover is just this miserable image too so went out and dropped 15 quid on it. Got it home and played it and had no idea what the fuck I was listening to. In hindsight it's a wonderful record, just not what I wanted it to be at the time.

Just now, cobra_gordo said:

Katatonia's Viva Emptiness for me. I'd read the reviews in Kerrang and Metal Hammer were they'd given it 5 Ks or whatever and how it was this blackened death metal masterpiece. The cover is just this miserable image too so went out and dropped 15 quid on it. Got it home and played it and had no idea what the fuck I was listening to. In hindsight it's a wonderful record, just not what I wanted it to be at the time.

I pretty much did the same thing with that album but I fell in love right away, it wasn't what I was after but it still clicked.

• Paid Members

had a similar experience with an Emperor record. It was given the full KKKKK treatment so a mate bought it when i was with him, we cranked it in the car and looked at each other in bemusement.

That mate had a point of buying anything that given KKKKK, he didn't care what genre it was, he bought it.

Was it IX Equilibrium by any chance? That was my first Emperor album after hearing about how good they were and recently getting into a few bands like Darkthrone and Burzum (ugh..) but I thought it was weirdo dog shite, I went back to their classic albums a little later but to be honest I found them to be boring as fuck compared to the rest of that Norwegian scene.

I imagine I'd actually like IX if I listened to it today, I've put on the Ulver remix of Sworn a few times and it's ace.

Well this thread is making me VERY nostalgia happy. Chalk me up as another Kerrang/Metal Hammer/Rock Sound believer from 2000-2002ish. I had a mate who was always in to slightly better music than me (I was very much a Hip Hop kid through and through), and introduced me to Jawbreaker, Thursday, early Blink, Jimmy Eat World, Grade, Far etc

I remember seeing Slipknot on the cover just after their first Astoria gig and being blown away. Same with Amen. Amen were shit, but some guy cutting himself on stage and talking openly about self harm? It was just completely alien and I found it fascinating at a time when I was going through those issues.

I first heard Linkin Park and Papa Roach on Rock Sound CDs and I absolutely loved those bands (still do), and fucking loads more...At The Drive In, Glassjaw, Get Up Kids through taster CDs.

By the way, why were none of you buying an album, taping it, then exchanging it for the one your REALLY wanted? Virgin were good for this.

@cobra_gordo I have that CD, that is an immense tracklisting although One Minute Silence's best song was this. God the fucking bass tone on this...makes me want to smash up Whitehall....

EDIT: Just realised it IS on there, ah well...enjoy this fucker if you haven't heard it

EDIT: Fuck, look at what I found. Some of these tracklistings are making me cry https://www.discogs.com/label/38736-Rock-Sound

https://www.discogs.com/label/30228-Metal-Hammer

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members

loved One Minute Silence, brilliant live band as well. As much nu-metal and that whole era is seen as a bit of a joke, there's no denying that it's the kind of music that translates brilliantly in a live environment.

The first two One Minute Silence records are great, they were off on a different kind of tangeant on the 3rd album and even when they released a new EP years later it was more in vein of the 3rd album, it was more about Yap's rants on vocals at that point, i think i should re-visit the album though.

Yap Barry went on do beat poetry and solo work under the name Pink Punk.

One Minute Silence had a group of fans that apparently took over pits at shows too (they had a name, can't remember what it was though), i remember hearing rumors of them wearing boxing gloves to shows :laugh: i never experienced any of that myself but i got to see them live a few times. I try to piece together old shows in my head sometimes and the one i remember more than any is them playing Cardiff Uni, i know Breed77 were also on the bill.

they certainly don't write em like that anymore

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Did any of you get your parents to sign up to Britannia (sign up for £40 or something and get 6 CDs from their catalogue)?

My Mam bought in to all of that in her own accord bless her and she said I could pick 4. I ended up with GnR U.Y.I 1&2, Kill em All and Master of Puppets. That was a fucking ace year that. Must have been early-mid 90’s. 

Not so great the following year when you were contractually obliged to pay for 4 albums at about £18 a piece. Especially when ‘Top Sounds’ down the steeet was having a closing down sale.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
On 24/10/2017 at 1:09 PM, SuperBacon said:

Amen were shit, but some guy cutting himself on stage and talking openly about self harm? It was just completely alien and I found it fascinating at a time when I was going through those issues.

Amen were not shit.

Their first record (most would probably say the second, but i always preffered the debut) is a quality piece or angry punk tinged metal.

I was actually at the show you're probably referencing. It was at the old LA2 a week or before Xmas as part of Kerrangs Xmas shows, Raging Speedhorn amd Charger supported. Casey sliced his arm open with a broken whiskey bottle and got rushed to hospital, berk.

This thread has sent me in to nostalgia overdrive so I'm listening to Creed's "Weathered" album at work. Say what you want about them, Scott Stapp being a pillock and their overly God-bothery lyrics, it's an absolute belter of an album. It's just quality from start to finish, the guitar and bass tone is thick and punchy and there's some genuinely good song writing on it. Plus, that My Sacrifice WWF video.

Edited by cobra_gordo