~*UKFF's Children Thread*~

Kookoocachu

One thing that may be worth looking at is a private 3D scan. When my wife was pregnant with the twins, we also did that and they recorded the thing and put it on a dvd. This also included some 2d normal scan footage. The 3d images were still images rotated but I can't remember if the 2d had them moving about. Either way if these places open back up at some point it might be a way to get some more direct images for your husband to see or even go with you if that is eventually allowed.

Congratulations and as others have said it is nice to hear some happy news in these times.

• Paid Members

Congratulations @deathrey and @Divorced Dad. After a pretty dark day for this place it's nice to see some happy news, and for some lovely people too! 

We're expecting our second in August and it's all starting to feel a bit real now. Up to 20 weeks myself and my wife were very hesitant due to two successive miscarriages at 12 weeks before we had our first, assuming something would go wrong (thankfully all looking good), and then Coronavirus happened and we didn't really have time to think about it all, and the time has flown by in a way. 

Now we're starting to talk about a birth plan etc it all feels a bit more like normality, but also not at all. Weird times. Very exciting though.

Sorry for waffling (I may have had a beer) but it's nice to talk about positive things for once. 

• Moderators

Congrats to you too mim! We've got our second on the way also, due in September. I can't imagine going through pregnancy for the first time with all this going on at the hospitals - or must be quite nerve wracking. Can you guys still get access to NCT resources? Of course I assume it will be not in the usual way, but hopefully they are still doing something.

Both my wife and I have been nervous every time she's had to go into the hospital but they've segregated the ante natal clinic very well, she says. 

At the minute 3D scans aren't available but legislation changes on June 1st and they will offered again from then @iMPACt!

Congratulations @mim731. I've had a previous miscarriage at 12 weeks and it has not been an easy road to getting pregnant again so we have told hardly anyone. We are kind of waiting till 20 weeks as we are still quite afraid, I think I'm feeling a little bit more relaxed than my husband but I've gotten to see the baby doing somersaults at scans and he hasn't.

Congratulations to you too @Chest Rockwell. I've been pretty panicky everytime I've had to go to hospital -including an early pregnancy related trip to A&E which was really scary but it was deserted. A lot of my appointment have actually been moved from hospitals to GP surgeries which again  have been almost deserted. Midwifes support has been pretty poor though as a first time mum who is classed as high risk, I've barely managed to speak to my allocated midwife and she never returns my calls, I've just given up.

NCT are running online classes for the foreseeable future but I had really wanted to join a group. I moved 2 hours away from my hometown when I met Mr Deathrey and haven't made a massive amount fo friends here, I was really hoping NCT would give me a good opportunity to meet people and make some friends as well as learn.

• Moderators

Are the online classes still in the same small size groups and will you get to interact with the other attendees? The support network is definitely the most valuable thing about it, especially given those circumstances you've described. If they are still doing the structure where you have a couple hour slot once a week for a longer period I'd definitely recommend that over the more intense shorter ones - gives you a lot better opportunity to bond with the group.

Sorry to hear the experience hasn't been that great with the midwives. Not to freak you out unduly but as a South Asian there's a higher chance you'll get gestational diabetes. Fingers crossed you don't but my wife had it last time and now has it again so if it does happen I'm sure I'll be able to share some useful tips, particularly if you're not getting great support from the hospital!

I am aware of the diabetes risk, I have polycystic ovary syndrome too which makes me even higher risk. I had a blood test for gestational diabetes on Friday, I'm just waiting for the results to come back. I really appreciate the offer of advice and will get back to you once I know the results as no doubt, I'll need some direction!

The NCT classes are in the same format as far as I'm aware, it'll be the same small group that you are with all the way through but I'm not sure if the groups will be done based on location (which I would want) or if it's group from anywhere in the UK. I would really want local. I'm due in Novemeber so I'm still reading up about it.

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, deathrey said:

I am aware of the diabetes risk, I have polycystic ovary syndrome too which makes me even higher risk. I had a blood test for gestational diabetes on Friday, I'm just waiting for the results to come back. I really appreciate the offer of advice and will get back to you once I know the results as no doubt, I'll need some direction!

The NCT classes are in the same format as far as I'm aware, it'll be the same small group that you are with all the way through but I'm not sure if the groups will be done based on location (which I would want) or if it's group from anywhere in the UK. I would really want local. I'm due in Novemeber so I'm still reading up about it.

The teams delivering the sessions will be local so it will be a local group. I wouldn't worry about that that too much Rey.