~*UKFF's Children Thread*~

Kookoocachu

Any suggestions or advice for somebody whose 5 year old son has suddenly decided he hates brushing his teeth, leading to tantrums and screaming every morning and every evening?

It's not the toothbrush or the toothpaste that's the issue, up until yesterday he was fine with both.

Yesterday and this morning were hellacious though for some reason.

36 minutes ago, dopper said:

Any suggestions or advice for somebody whose 5 year old son has suddenly decided he hates brushing his teeth, leading to tantrums and screaming every morning and every evening?

It's not the toothbrush or the toothpaste that's the issue, up until yesterday he was fine with both.

Yesterday and this morning were hellacious though for some reason.

Tell him he'll be disappointing Duggee if he doesn't brush his teeth*

*10 new episodes on Monday motherfuckeeeeeeeeers.

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse me whilst I turn UKFF in to Mumsnet for a minute, has anyone got any pram recommendations? I'm not planning on getting one straight away, I was going to use a sling to start with and get a pram when the baby is about 3 months old. Am I being an idiot? 

I drive and have my own car so will probably be driving most places. We have a lovely park near us but can't see me taking the baby there till the weather is better. I'm due in November and the weather usually starts to get better around April

• Paid Members

I have done sling for the first few months for all my kids but I know that most people find it difficult not to do without. I can't recommend one either as the last one I got is a bit shit and I can't remember beyond that.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, deathrey said:

Excuse me whilst I turn UKFF in to Mumsnet for a minute, has anyone got any pram recommendations? I'm not planning on getting one straight away, I was going to use a sling to start with and get a pram when the baby is about 3 months old. Am I being an idiot? 

I drive and have my own car so will probably be driving most places. We have a lovely park near us but can't see me taking the baby there till the weather is better. I'm due in November and the weather usually starts to get better around April

One thing I will say is do plenty of research and make sure it's fit for what you want it for. Some are more bulky and sturdy but don't fold up small, others are compact and lightweight. 

I'd also check if whatever car seat you have is compatible with whatever pram you get, or if you can get adapters. If you have a car seat (like the maxi cosy pebble) most prams can have that as the cot/seat part via some very reasonably priced adapters which slot in.

Also, keep an eye on Facebook buy and sell groups. A new pram is hella expensive and you can pick up a second hand one frequently with minimal use on it for a fraction of the cost. We bought ours for £80 and it would have been £800 new and it has worked great! You can also pick up a lighter weight stroller that folds, and can be great for shorter trips. 

Finally, I know it seems mad now, but if you do think there's a possibility you might consider a second baby before the first is finished with the pram, make sure you get one that can convert to a double later, it will save you lots of time, money and hassle in the long run.

TL:DR do lots of research and new isn't always best. Good luck! 

Hope that's helpful.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ElCece said:

I have done sling for the first few months for all my kids but I know that most people find it difficult not to do without. I can't recommend one either as the last one I got is a bit shit and I can't remember beyond that.

Can't go wrong with the babybjorn Or Ergo 360 in terms of carriers. We used both and they were mega useful. 

Sorry for the double post! 

Thanks for your thoughts @mim731, I'll definitely think about some of those points. I'm quite happy to get secondhand but Mr Deathrey seems really against it. I quite fancy the Stokke Xplory but it's stupidly expensive so I thought a secondhand one would be a good compromise.  

I'm looking at cheaper alternatives at the moment. I think I might try and book an appointment at a pram shop to have a proper look and get a feel for all the different types.

I'm 37 so if I'm able to have a second baby, they will come along quite soon I think! I would have liked a 2-3 year gap but life hasn't worked out that way.