~*UKFF's Children Thread*~

Kookoocachu

• Paid Members

I fully agree with @mim731’s post, dot he research and you won’t go wrong. 

We fell victim to the old saying ‘buy cheap, buy twice’ as we bought a full travel system called UberChild for around £250 and it ended up being a huge pile of garbage. We ended up forming out a further £450 for a Mothercare Journey Edit travel system which was day and night compared to the first one.

Everyone is different and have different styles, but I agree, go and test a few out of you have the opportunity and think about how you will be using it most. The bulkier ones are better for out walking on the streets etc, but they aren’t so good if you need to get them in the car with the shopping and vice versa for the lighter ones.

Good luck and enjoy parenthood @deathrey

Thankfully I was able to work yesterday at short notice so that helped take my mind off of it. Didn’t make it any easier when every person was saying Happy Fathers Day on the radio seemingly every five minutes.

I struggle with mental health issues at the best of times and yesterday was the worst day in a while. I thought I’d be able to shrug it off today but if anything it’s worse. Hell I’m crying as I write this.

2 minutes ago, ThommoLincs said:

Thankfully I was able to work yesterday at short notice so that helped take my mind off of it. Didn’t make it any easier when every person was saying Happy Fathers Day on the radio seemingly every five minutes.

I struggle with mental health issues at the best of times and yesterday was the worst day in a while. I thought I’d be able to shrug it off today but if anything it’s worse. Hell I’m crying as I write this.

Sorry, I didn't see your post yesterday.

I can't speak for you, only my own experiences, and I don't want to make it about me but this is what I can offer.

I have a really good (sometimes strange) relationship with my ex but I do know what it's like to be without the kids on some 'significant' dates. Christmas used to be tough, but to be honest the thought of them not being with their Mum on that day is sadder to me than them not being here. So they're usually there on that day.

We usually make it work in one way or another, but the only way to get through those days is just to take away the significance. Think of it as just another day.

A couple of times when I've felt sad about say Christmas Day I've chopped it up into manageable chunks "I won't be getting up until 10, then I'll piss about on the internet for a bit, maybe watch a film, and have dinner and it'll be 6pm. Another film and a drink and it'll be bed time". You're almost envisaging the end of the day and how that will feel, and the day is then done. It's gone before it's started. A bit 'wishing time away' but it's worked for me in the past.

The other thing, and this is only my perspective, is that Fathers Day/Mothers Day is such a load of absolute bollocks. I used to get a strip torn off my Dad for not getting him a card, and every year I used to tell him the same: I simply don't care. It's a made up day which has absolutely no meaning whatsoever for me.

So, if you can strip away the significance of the day, then it certainly helps.

Yesterday was just another Sunday. My ex asked me if I wanted them, which she always does and I for her on Mothers Day, but they wanted to go out with her and walk the dog in the woods, so that's more important to me then spending time with me because it's 'Fathers Day'. 

If you can, on tough days try and do something for yourself, no matter how insignificant that might feel. When I'm feeling shit I take myself off to a museum (after all, it's the only way to learn about history 😀), and that takes my mind off it. Or go for a walk, football, whatever works for you.

As for the other thing about no access, I am really sorry I can't help there. Without knowing your circumstances (and I don't expect you to share such personal details) it's difficult.

I am sorry if this advice has been rambling and a bit anecdotal, and I know what works for me doesn't work for others, but it's just a perspective and hopefully there's something in there that can help.

All the best.

• 2 weeks later...

I could post literally anything my 10yo has written and be proud of it, but today I was especially so. That a 10yo has this level of creativity blows my mind. I just wanted to share it. Her current focus is creative writing about space. Little borrow from a rapper as well for the hip hop heads amongst us, as I played her a track for inspiration.

As we left the comfort of the Earth's atmosphere, we entered the endless realm of Outer Space. Now, people think that Space has already been discovered, and there's nothing left to see.

But who else has seen those bright shining stars, dancing their celestial tango through the night? Who else has seen all the wonderful cosmic comets rocketing through the silence? Through our eyes, almost NOTHING has been discovered about Space. It's the most magical mystery to us. You can't be told what to do or say, you're floating about, weightless in Mother Nature's imagination. Just enjoying what's not the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

Mists of deep purple galaxies, with streaks of sandy yellow running through it like an enchanted river. The trillions of stars enclosing all the magic. The Sun cries it's amber tears, giving that familiar orange glow, and promising warmth of day to us all. The Sun is the star of the show, striking and hotter than anything ever. Seeing the little moons drifting round and round was like watching children spin round and round on a carousel, chasing after it's planet.

Words can't explain how incredible the feeling was, how magnificent the sights were. I could hardly contain myself with excitement, eyes glued constantly to the window, in awe of everything that surrounds us.

What a legend. The 7yo is smashing up a pair of drums as we speak so top marks to them both. 

• 3 weeks later...