AEW Revolution

Devon Malcolm

26 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Willing to be corrected, but it's actually safety glass he's gone through, isn't it? The sort you get in cars that break into cubes. So though it cut Allin's back up because he went through it at speed and landed in it with force, it's very unlikely to have cut anyone in the audience. All of the cuts are small, rather than big slices you'd expect with just a normal pane.

I'm not in anyway suggesting its a perfectly safe bump, by the way. I just don't think it was that dangerous for bystanders. 

There is a risk it could get in someone's eye though. Probably better if Tony tells him to never do it again 

• Paid Members

Allin is off to climb Everest at the end of March so everyone should remain glass free. 

I can only echo everyone else's opinions of the show, what a belter. Ospreay and Takeshita was remarkable, Sting is a mentalist, fair play to him going out like that. TK looked pleased in the presser to have given Sting a proper send off, and he probably had a semi on because now he gets to book a tournament to crown new champs. Toni Storm was great in the presser as well. 

Sting was my Hogan as far as having a favourite in WCW, so it was emotional for me as a near 40 year old ‘little Stinger’ seeing him going out on an absolute high last night. The whole match was just perfection, from the entrance with his sons as the Surfer and Wolfpac versions of himself to the boys’ incredible attempts at the Stinger Splash to Darby’s incredible stupid glass bump to the Icon getting the win with the Deathlock all soundtracked by two absolute GOATs of commentary (and Excalibur)

• Awards Moderator
6 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Sting was my Hogan as far as having a favourite in WCW, so it was emotional for me as a near 40 year old ‘little Stinger’ seeing him going out on an absolute high last night. The whole match was just perfection, from the entrance with his sons as the Surfer and Wolfpac versions of himself to the boys’ incredible attempts at the Stinger Splash to Darby’s incredible stupid glass bump to the Icon getting the win with the Deathlock all soundtracked by two absolute GOATs of commentary (and Excalibur)

It’s a shame one of those absolute GOATs of commentary got annoyed when Darby dove the Bucks into the announce table at the very beginning of the match. I’m not sure if that was him saying “shit!” just as it happened. Understandable reaction given his health issues, but he never quite managed to get into gear after that - what was the little rant about pronouns for? 

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

His WWE run was cack. 1 mania match, 1 Raw match (technically 2 in the same night I guess) and 1 title match with Rollins. He was bought in as a novalty act and a way to flog that years WWE game. The novelty going full force at Mania when it turned into NWO vs DX and look, the teenage me probably wanted that, but not 30 something me. 

AEW treated him like a living legend, The Icon. He was protected and used in the right way in my opinion and he clearly loved his time there. TNA did a great job with him for the most part, but WWE never did. Almost as bad a run as Goldberg in 03.

I've always been curious about what Sting's WWE run would have looked like had he not got hurt, if there even were any plans for him beyond the Rollins match. Because him showing up at Survivor Series was a genuinely huge deal. Part of me thinks that he was done as a top star for them the moment he cut a promo on RAW for the Wrestlemania build - he did the very un-WWE thing of finding the in-ring camera guy and talking directly down the camera for a moment, rather than acting like the cameras don't exist. I think it's something that always made Sting's promos feel very lively and cool and different, but I bet Vince and/or Kevin Dunn were fuming about it backstage, decided that he was an amateur who couldn't hang in the big leagues, and decided to use his match to "win" a "war" all over again, against a company that had been out of business for twenty years. Whether it's a needless Triple H win, a phantom fast count against Hogan, or a pilled up Jeff Hardy, nobody at wrestling's top level has been expected to weather the amount of bullshit that Sting has and still put on a brave face about it, and that's why him getting to go out on his own terms with a promotion treating him like the biggest star in the world was so special.

There are a lot of reasons I'm really grateful for AEW existing, and Sting exemplifies a lot of them - having another major promotion again means that WWE's version of history, and of what wrestling could or should be, isn't the only one any more. It's not just the same revolving door of "legends" getting trotted out every time, and people who WWE haven't given the time of day or never knew what they had with, be that Sting or Tony Schiavone, are treated with respect and given their proper place, and get their own love of wrestling back. One of the other things that's great about AEW is that they do a much better job than WWE have done in years of anchoring their shows in a sense of place - if they're in Memphis, Dave Brown's there, here they're in North Carolina, so David Crockett's showing up, and people are booked to win in their hometowns rather than to be humiliated. Wrestling is a travelling circus, and it should feel like one, rather than like one characterless interchangeable arena after another, and a big part of how they booked Sting, especially in this retirement run, but really for the entire time they had him, was this sense of "fucking hell, Sting is wrestling in my town?!", that I very rarely get from WWE.

4 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

It’s a shame one of those absolute GOATs of commentary got annoyed when Darby dove the Bucks into the announce table at the very beginning of the match. I’m not sure if that was him saying “shit!” just as it happened. Understandable reaction given his health issues, but he never quite managed to get into gear after that - what was the little rant about pronouns for? 

The "PRONOUNS, PAL!" thing is a bit that JR has been doing for years, in reference to a Vince McMahon edict that commentators should never use pronouns - you never say "he" or "him", you refer to the wrestler by name or nickname every single time. Why he thinks he needs to bang on about it so much in AEW I have no idea.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I've always been curious about what Sting's WWE run would have looked like had he not got hurt, if there even were any plans for him beyond the Rollins match. Because him showing up at Survivor Series was a genuinely huge deal.

According to Hunter they didn't even make any plans for him beyond Mania 31, initially. Vince was under the impression they'd get one match out of him for Mania, so they decided they'd do Sting vs Hunter to "win the war for good" (FUCK SAKE) even though they'd sown seeds on TV for one last HHH vs Rock match the previous October on TV - Hunter says they figured they'd hold off on it for another year, no harm (whoops) and the reason he went over is because - even one year apart - they didn't think he could lose to Sting and then be expected to have chance of beating The Rock at 32. Which is fucking ludicrous, but there you go. Stinger himself has also said that after Mania 31 he didn't expect to wrestle again until Vince had one of his trademark changes of heart and called him and asked if he'd wrestle Rollins for the belt, to which he said yes. In the years since, Meltzer's always said they hadn't planned to use him again after that match - which makes sense, because it kind of sounds like Vince just woke up in the middle of the night and thought "Fuck it, let's have him put Seth over too. Steve's business." - without any further thought. Madness all round.

Edited by air_raid
sown and sewn are in fact completely different words

• Paid Members

WWE's approach to legends has always been either that they are just as good as they've always been (which the audience can see right through), they are bigger than all the current stars or they are basically simplified down to one single character trait. AEW has now shown a different way, where old vets and legends can have one last run, be taken care of and go out on their own terms while still helping the business. It's a wonderful thing and I hope we see more of it in the future.

Kurt Angle did the job in a nothing match to BARON CORBIN. How AEW have treated Sting is night and day compared to that.

On 3/4/2024 at 10:48 AM, Chili said:

Amazing show but fucking hell Christian Cage hitting a career best peak at 50 years old is still marvellous to me. I bet he's bloody dancing on air in this run. Never has someone loved being such an absolute arsehole. He's world class as this.

Personal highlight for me was my Brother screaming CUNT, when Christian kicked out of the piledriver.

Cracking show minus the scramble and woman's title matches, which felt like TV matches, to me.