AEW Revolution

Devon Malcolm

15 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Allin is off to climb Everest at the end of March so everyone should remain glass free. 

I feel sorry for the sherpas at the bottom who will no doubt get covered in whatever the cunt lands on when he jumps off the top.

• Paid Members

I watched this!

Christian Cage vs Daniel Garcia - What a cracking match to kick off with. I really like Garcia from what little I've seen of him and these two seem really well matched and they should do more with them. Christian just continues to have the best run of his career.

Bryan Danielson vs Eddie Kingston - I just hate this strong style shit and maybe I'll never see Kingston in a match I actually like. At least it didn't go on for hours like I expected. A personal thing, I can see why this would work for almost everyone else.

Scramble match - I wondered what had happened to Hook. Jake Roberts looked barely alive. I've no idea who Magnus is. Adam Cole is in a wheelchair and as we know that has always been funny in wrestling. Seems like everyone has forgiven Chris Jericho! That's nice. This was fun though, as it should be, even if nobody really stood out.

Orange Cassidy vs Roderick Strong - I can't recall seeing a Cassidy match I didn't like and this was a cracker, too. Strong has never interested me at any point in his career but he's finally hit on something with this character and he played a superb heel. I may even have liked this more than the opener.

FTR vs Castagnoli and Moxley - At least it was less Moxley than usual thanks to it being a tag match, but I don't really care for Castagnoli either. I like FTR but this never felt like it got going until right at the end and then it became a thriller. Too much of a slow burn in its first half for me to completely love it but some great stuff towards the end.

Timeless Toni Storm vs Deonna Purrazzo - Pretty good match, this, although they clearly left a bit on the table for a rematch.

Will Ospreay vs Konosuke Takeshita - I kinda don't understand why you would do this match so early in their respective AEW runs. Takeshita is brilliant though, and he looks the utter business. Ospreay has got it all in the ring too. Great match but I think Takeshita loses a bit taking the loss here. Can't deny this was huge fun either way.

Swerve vs Joe vs Page - Awesome, it's Jim Ross talking absolute bollocks. Liked the banner before the match saying Page "Has Absolutely Lost It". This was a good match and Page works far better as a heel and there was some particularly good stuff towards the end to keep things going. Got to get that title on Swerve though.

Sting's last match - Brilliant. All the smoke and mirrors and lunacy it should have been. The introductory video is one of the best such packages I've ever seen in wrestling, even with the limit on what they could use. Fair play to the Young Bucks too, they played their role really well in it all. As for Sting, it's mental sitting here in my mid-40s talking about a guy I've been watching since I was in the sixth form, and someone who I've always enjoyed at the various times I've been watching whatever wrestling he's involved with. The outpouring of affection for him and his career are well deserved, easily one of the greatest of al time and it was difficult not to get emotional when he won.

Overall a fantastic PPV. I think just watching AEW and WWE's PPVs works out so well because they almost never let you down and the difference in presentation and pacing between the two makes them a good foil for each other. Just a great time.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Judas is definitely over. Jericho definitely isn't. The only reactions he gets at the moment are apathy or hatred.

I might post more thoughts later but my favourite non-Sting moment of the night was during Ospreay/Takeshita when Ospreay was in the middle of setting up a big move and as he turned his back Takeshita effortlessly shot his arm band off and then clotheslined the shite out of him. Epic.

Edited by LaGoosh

12 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Judas is definitely over. Jericho definitely isn't. The only reactions he gets at the moment are apathy or hatred.

I might post more thoughts later but my favourite non-Sting moment of the night was during Ospreay/Takeshita when Ospreay was in the middle of setting up a big move and as he turned his back Takeshita effortlessly shot his arm band off and then clotheslined the shite out of him. Epic.

Was that the clothesline where it looked like they'd turned on the ragdoll physics on Ospreay? Because if it was that was one of the best things I've  ever seen!

• Paid Members

When Sting's son came out in GAB 90 gear, I had a half a second freak out like I'd fallen asleep and 90s Sting turned up as he tends to do. Usually at The Range getting his shopping in. He looked so much like him Same arm position and stance. Its like he came out of WCW vs the World.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Promo of the year.

The whole thing is great

On 3/4/2024 at 12:19 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

The whole presser was great, Will Ospreay doing a great job of not coming across as the twat we thought he was (he certainly seems he’s changed since getting with Alex Windsor)

but this was my highlight 

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Bryan Danielson vs Eddie Kingston - I just hate this strong style shit and maybe I'll never see Kingston in a match I actually like. At least it didn't go on for hours like I expected. A personal thing, I can see why this would work for almost everyone else.

It's a tricky one.  I love the Eddie Kingston character.  He's the realist thing in wrestling today.  I love the way he stomps around, his brawling can be great and he sells well.

BUT there's definitely a law of diminishing returns with this style of match, where he plays the damage sponge and basically gets beaten up terribly for 20 minutes and then hulks up and hits a comeback sequence to win.  It's the old Hogan routine but he's not Hogan.  He's also not a particularly convincing "technical wrestler" mainly due to his body shape I suspect, so sometimes his offence doesn't seem likely.

I'd honestly like to see him win a few convincingly, looking like a dominant champion.  Maybe that's what he's doing on Rampage and I miss it.  At some point in each of his matches I do start thinking "maybe throw up a defence occasionally and stop letting people hit you, it looks like it hurts".

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Promo of the year.

Been laughing all day remembering her calling him Sean 'Excalibur' Mooney as well. 

She's the best. 

4 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

When Sting's son came out in GAB 90 gear, I had a half a second freak out like I'd fallen asleep and 90s Sting turned up as he tends to do. Usually at The Range getting his shopping in. He looked so much like him Same arm position and stance. Its like he came out of WCW vs the World.

I thought it was good old Double J for a second

spacer.png

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Everyone else has already covered the show but here's some random thoughts from me if anyone cares:

- A great show but definitely far too long. The All Star match should have never happened and Strong vs OC should have been a Dynamite main event. 

- Before the show they put out some great Sting related videos, I would have liked them to have peppered these throughout the PPV in between matches to build up to the main event. Unfortunately due to time they had to just rattle very quickly from match to match with no time wasted. It's important to have little breathers in between matches and using those videos to both do that and build anticipation for the main event would have been perfect.

- Garcia's ten punch in the corner with added dance move to humiliate his opponent at the 9 count is a great new addition to his babyface act.

- I, like everyone, want to see a meat division but if it's just a excuse for the fans to chant "meat" ironically then I'm not hugely interested. The All-Star was the shits and everyone came out looking pretty bad. Dante Martin especially. Mate, if you fluff your highspots what else have you got going for you? The cruiserweights doing the "meat" spots was exactly the type of nudge nudge wink wink bullshit I hate. Go home Chris Jericho.

- Orange Cassidy painfully removing his t-shirt to reveal his ribs/back being covered in loads of tape was a brilliant moment and exactly why he's one of the best wrestlers in the world.

- Every time Roderick Strong chopped OC (which was a lot of times) it pissed me off. Hit him in the ribs and back Roddy! However the match worked for me when Strong actually properly targeted the back.

- I'm not really a fan of OC's giving up his title to Strong, I think it would have been better to give it to someone with more upside - Powerhouse Hobbs, RUSH, Takeshita, the list goes on.

- FTR/BCC took awhile to get going but was very good by the end. BCC winning felt like a bit of a shock in the best way and FTR lost nothing from it. This match seemed to exist to set up Claudio/Mox as major players in the upcoming tag tournament. Job definitely done.

- Ospreay/Takeshita was a brilliant spectacle. Not something you want to see regularly but luckily Ospreay, Omega and Takeshita are the only guys who can wrestle these types of matches so that will make them special when they do happen. The difference between Ospreay and all the other highflyers out there is he knows how to properly lay all his moves in, so he's not just doing the flippy shit but the contact actually looks like it hurts. Takeshita is a beast and one of my boys , this was a great showcase for him and I really hope (I'm always hoping for this) that they give him more singles matches. 

- I love that Callis has essentially created a faction filled with Kenny Omega replacements. Also glad they aren't rushing the inevitable Ospreay/Callis split. Spread this out for a little bit then build up to a Callis Family vs Will Ospreay & Co. Blood & Guts or something.

- I liked the in ring camera crossing between the participants during the ring announcements for the World title match. Looked very unique and cool.

- The first 5 minutes of Samoa Joe wrecking fools was just a joy. Is there anyone more fun to watch on offence than Samoa Joe? The answer is no.

- Beautiful video package for Sting. Definitely made me tear up.

- The usual bad faith hand wringing for Darby's insane bump across the internet I see. Despite the fact that it's Darby Allin and he's always doing mad shit and somehow seems to walk away. He's a genuine stuntman. He also basically took the exact same bump in his match with Jeff Hardy a while back (minus the glass) so obviously felt he could do it without ending his career or dying. From a match perspective as well, he sold it for 15 minutes afterwards and only got back in the match for the very end. It added to the drama and spectacle and if you're a daredevil risk taker stunt man  - why the fuck wouldn't you take the biggest risk/bump of your career in what will no doubt be the biggest match of your career? It was brilliant, I loved it.

- I'm going to miss Sting. A perfect ending. 

Edited by LaGoosh

24 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

if you're a daredevil risk taker stunt man  - why the fuck wouldn't you take the biggest risk/bump of your career in what will no doubt be the biggest match of your career?

Perhaps because if the biggest match of your career is someone else’s retirement match, it suggests you won’t much of a career left?

Personally I’m not arsed either way, but I assume a 31 year old shouldn’t be of the mentality that the biggest match they’ll ever have has already passed them by.

• Paid Members
Just now, Daaaaaad! said:

I assume a 31 year old shouldn’t be of the mentality that the biggest match they’ll ever have has already passed them by.

What match is Darby Allin going to have that will be bigger than Sting's retirement match?