Paid Members Gus Mears Posted June 25 Paid Members Posted June 25 Awful memories of grandad preparing dinner on a wartime footing every time it got above 21 degrees. Ox tongue and wilted salad. No wonder I was built like a rake. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted June 25 Paid Members Posted June 25 My dad, who is an excellent cook otherwise, will also break out one slice of ham, a lettuce leaf and a couple of baby tomatoes for dinner once the sun comes out. Even a rabbit would be fucked off with that. I drink piping hot tea constantly though, whatever the weather. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted June 25 Posted June 25 Feel sorry for the people who didn’t grow up on proper salads containing pork pies, cheeses, meats, boiled eggs and some green stuff covered in salad cream. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted June 25 Moderators Posted June 25 I don't really normally drink flavoured cold drinks that aren't alcohol but was thinking yesterday I should probably get some in so I'm not still just drinking tea and coffee. Didn't bother and tbh I'm pretty happy with my decision to keep drinking hot drinks. Quote
deathrey Posted June 25 Posted June 25 Tea is the most popular drink in India, and it's far hotter there year round than it gets here. Every Indian will swear to you that tea cools you down - there is some science behind that, it doesn't actually cool you down but brings up your body temperature so it feels less hot than it did before you drank it Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted June 25 Paid Members Posted June 25 I've just got Kulvinder Ghir yelling "GARAM CHAAAAAAI!" in my head now Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 25 Members Posted June 25 I'm still drinking 3 or 4 cups of hot coffee a day, inside though, I'm not a monster. 27 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said: Feel sorry for the people who didn’t grow up on proper salads containing pork pies, cheeses, meats, boiled eggs and some green stuff covered in salad cream. One of my favourite childhood memories is a salad round my grandparents. My Grandad would make his own pickled onions which at the time blew my mind, and they were incredible. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted June 25 Paid Members Posted June 25 43 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said: Feel sorry for the people who didn’t grow up on proper salads containing pork pies, cheeses, meats, boiled eggs and some green stuff covered in salad cream. When I met my missus, she was a tiny little thing. My Mam's meals used to terrify her. She came round once and Mam announced it was salad for tea. She was so relieved. Until she went to get her plate and saw a mountain of cheese, ham, sausage rolls, eggs, coleslaw, beetroot, pickled onions, tomatoes and some token veg. She was already going full Jimmy Corkhill when Mam said "Don't take that plate, I'm just waiting for your chips." Quote
Mr_Danger Posted June 25 Posted June 25 1 hour ago, tiger_rick said: When I met my missus, she was a tiny little thing. My Mam's meals used to terrify her. She came round once and Mam announced it was salad for tea. She was so relieved. Until she went to get her plate and saw a mountain of cheese, ham, sausage rolls, eggs, coleslaw, beetroot, pickled onions, tomatoes and some token veg. She was already going full Jimmy Corkhill when Mam said "Don't take that plate, I'm just waiting for your chips." I forgot my mums salad speciality, mash potatoe! Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 25 Members Posted June 25 15 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said: I forgot my mums salad speciality, mash potatoe! We'd always have tinned new potatoes. I sort of miss them. Quote
Paid Members Statto Posted June 25 Paid Members Posted June 25 Fuck yes, every now and again I get a craving for those. Absolute staple of my diet growing up. I assume they do still exist? Quote
Mr_Danger Posted June 25 Posted June 25 (edited) 42 minutes ago, Statto said: Fuck yes, every now and again I get a craving for those. Absolute staple of my diet growing up. I assume they do still exist? I was obsessed with making a vegetable soup that tasted like exactly like the Heinz Vegetable Soup and in the end using chopped up tinned potatoes and processed peas is what brought it together. Cost me a lot of money in trial and error ingredients just to recreate the artificial taste of tinned soup that costs a quid but I got there! Tinned potatoes, tinned peas and bacon (potatoes tossed in the bacon fat) is still a solid 5/10 meal in my house. Edited June 25 by Mr_Danger Quote
SaitoRyo Posted June 25 Posted June 25 I was a pretty picky eater when I was younger and would often have a tin of boiled new potatoes with some butter and a little salt. Delicious, it was. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted June 25 Posted June 25 We've always got a tin of trapped potatoes in the cupboard. I like to chuck them in a curry or just put them in the air fryer with some cajun seasoning on or something. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted June 25 Paid Members Posted June 25 4 hours ago, SuperBacon said: We'd always have tinned new potatoes. I sort of miss them. My Grandad used to fry them. Mental. I tried to do it out of nostalgia when we first owned our own house. I didn't think to pat dry them and created a red hot oil geyser. Nearly destroyed the kitchen. Just realised, I can tell you the date. It was the night of Zidane's volley against Leverkusen! Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.