Paid Members Carbomb Posted April 28 Paid Members Posted April 28 32 minutes ago, Ralphy said: Ha, i just remembered my Nan would tell me off if i talked too much black country Yoam saft, mate Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 28 Members Posted April 28 My great nan never swore and used to substitute the word bloody for 'bally' not pronounced like ball, but more like the start of ballet. I've never heard anyone else use it. 'The bally postman was late again' that kind of thing. Quote
Paid Members Gus Mears Posted April 28 Paid Members Posted April 28 Was your great nan Jimmy Cricket? Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 28 Members Posted April 28 11 minutes ago, Gus Mears said: Was your great nan Jimmy Cricket? The little cunt from Pinocchio? Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted April 28 Paid Members Posted April 28 26 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: My great nan never swore and used to substitute the word bloody for 'bally' not pronounced like ball, but more like the start of ballet. I've never heard anyone else use it. 'The bally postman was late again' that kind of thing. My dad says bally a fair bit, though as a joke. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted April 28 Paid Members Posted April 28 You see it in a lot of old British kids' stories too - I remember seeing it quite a bit in The Chronicles of Narnia. There's probably a lot in Enid Blyton's books too. Quote
westlondonmist Posted April 28 Posted April 28 Queenie in Blackadder II says she will "execute the whole bally lot of you". Never heard it outside of that though. Ruddy has been used as a joke phrase. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted April 28 Paid Members Posted April 28 7 minutes ago, Carbomb said: There's probably a lot in Enid Blyton's books too. Along with a fair amount of xenophobia. My nan would only swear in a posh way. My grandad Joe swore like a steroid fuelled Kfogg. Every second or third word was a swear word of some sort. As a child my first word was arse, which is appropriate considering I am one. That it came from Joe is not in dispute because one of my first words after that was grandad. My great aunt Mary never swore. My brother got himself in bad books one day when we were there. Mary hit her thumb with a hammer and said "Dash it" which was pretty strong for her. My brother who was playing with his cars looked up and said "Say bollocks Aunty, it will make you feel better" Mary didn't say anything to my brother but my mum got a right telling off when she came to pick us up. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted April 28 Paid Members Posted April 28 10 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said: As a child my first word was arse, which is appropriate considering I am one. That it came from Joe is not in dispute because one of my first words after that was grandad. That's it. Not knowing what you look like in real life, you now look like this in my mind: Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 28 Members Posted April 28 I never heard my Nan swear but one day when we were in a pub watching football she turned to me and out of nowhere said "That David Beckham...he's a bit of a pussy isn't he?" which I had no answer for. Confusing as we were watching Spurs vs Chelsea at the time. I can't remember either of my Grandads swearing either. One probably did, but I'll be honest, most of the time I couldn't understand a word he said as he mumbled so badly, something I very much suspect he did on purpose to avoid conversations. Fair play. Quote
deathrey Posted April 28 Posted April 28 (edited) I had the opposite issue with my dad, being a native speaker of Punjabi he wasn't fully aware of what constitutes a swear word in English and what doesn't - most Punjabi swear words are similar vibes to motherfucker, we have swear words for fuckers of different members of the family - anyway, because of this fuck is the only swear word my dad was aware of and when I was growing up my dad would use words like shit at parents evening and in shops when talking to shop assistance and had no idea it wasn't really polite to say it. Eventually I told my dad he was swearing a lot and that's why people were looking at him funny and he was mortified. He's gone back to not using them at all now. My dad is the most gentile, prim and proper middle aged man so the swearing was always out of place Edited April 28 by deathrey Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted April 28 Paid Members Posted April 28 14 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: I never heard my Nan swear but one day when we were in a pub watching football she turned to me and out of nowhere said "That David Beckham...he's a bit of a pussy isn't he?" which I had no answer for. Confusing as we were watching Spurs vs Chelsea at the time. Perhaps she was reminded by the curtains of Justin Edinburgh. Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted April 28 Paid Members Posted April 28 2 hours ago, SuperBacon said: My great nan never swore and used to substitute the word bloody for 'bally' not pronounced like ball, but more like the start of ballet. I've never heard anyone else use it. 'The bally postman was late again' that kind of thing. Also in the Matilda musical (sorry UKFF) by Tim Minchin where Trunchbull sings "Find the bally line and toe it" in a thinly veiled hammer-throw metaphor for conforming. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted June 25 Author Paid Members Posted June 25 Went round to my parents' house to pick up some food this morning. First thing my mum said to me was, "Do you want a cup of tea?" Sure, I'll run a hot bath and have it in there. Last night I texted her to ask if she'd finished dinner because I wanted to ring her about a meeting I'd had regarding my daughter. Her answer - "We're having a salad." Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted June 25 Paid Members Posted June 25 1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said: Last night I texted her to ask if she'd finished dinner because I wanted to ring her about a meeting I'd had regarding my daughter. Her answer - "We're having a salad." This is my moms stock tea every time it's a bit sunny, too. I bet my Dad is sick of eating cucumbers this week. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.