Paid Members tiger_rick Posted March 13 Paid Members Posted March 13 This is why you're the fucking snowflake generation. Quote
deathrey Posted March 13 Posted March 13 (edited) You know, I don't think my dad ever took a sick day either. Partly because if he didn't show up, the business didn't open (it was his business). Barely ever took any annual leave either, only if we were going to India which happened once every few years. Edited March 13 by deathrey Quote
Paid Members Gus Mears Posted March 13 Paid Members Posted March 13 Counterpoint: My dad was self employed, did as little work as possible, and resented the little work that he did. He took five days off after a strong vindaloo once. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted March 13 Paid Members Posted March 13 If we are playing the "My dad's working habits" game then I'm definitely losing. My dad was a wrong un. Barely worked a regular job for anyone else. Would steal anything he could, ran various businesses into the ground just to steal stuff. Spent more time in the pub than at work. Also really liked the ladies, so if you were born between 1960 and 1999 and your mum ever went into a pub we could be related. All of that sounds like an over exaggeration but that barely scratches the surface if I'm honest. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted March 13 Paid Members Posted March 13 My Dad's harder (working) than your Dad. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted March 13 Paid Members Posted March 13 My dad is by no measure lazy, but he definitely saw work as burden and retired as soon as he could, and thought my mum was insane for working a few extra summers in the local supermarket. He basically worked fairly hard but would give "going the extra mile" for your bosses type attitude very short shrift. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted March 13 Members Posted March 13 15 minutes ago, tiger_rick said: My Dad's harder (working) than your Dad. He's got 8 cars and a house in Ireland, sing it. Quote
Paid Members mim731 Posted March 13 Paid Members Posted March 13 43 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: He's got 8 cars and a house in Ireland, sing it. Great song. Quote
Paid Members I Bent My Wookie Posted March 13 Paid Members Posted March 13 This may be the only time the phrase "Yer Da Sells Avon" is a compliment at how hard working they are. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted March 13 Members Posted March 13 54 minutes ago, I Bent My Wookie said: This may be the only time the phrase "Yer Da Sells Avon" is a compliment at how hard working they are. Never heard that in my life. Quote
Paid Members I Bent My Wookie Posted March 13 Paid Members Posted March 13 (edited) 8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: Never heard that in my life. Was one of those mid 2010s things with the typical Scottish patter of using it as an insult to tell you that your Dad doesn't do a good job. And I would regularly shout at my mates on drunken nights out. Edited March 13 by I Bent My Wookie Quote
Paid Members mim731 Posted March 13 Paid Members Posted March 13 20 minutes ago, I Bent My Wookie said: Was one of those mid 2010s things with the typical Scottish patter of using it as an insult to tell you that your Dad doesn't do a good job. And I would regularly shout at my mates on drunken nights out. I'm 100% sure this was not your personal intention, and this is not designed as a knock on you, but it always rings as one of those phrases that has a touch of the old toxic masculinity about it, as if a man selling cosmetics was somehow lesser and didn't fit the traditional view of masculinity. Always felt a bit cringeworthy to me. Quote
Paid Members Arch Stanton Posted March 13 Paid Members Posted March 13 7 minutes ago, mim731 said: I'm 100% sure this was not your personal intention, and this is not designed as a knock on you, but it always rings as one of those phrases that has a touch of the old toxic masculinity about it, as if a man selling cosmetics was somehow lesser and didn't fit the traditional view of masculinity. Always felt a bit cringeworthy to me. That's absolutely how the insult is meant, but it is only a funny line, I don't think anyone ever used it, or took it, with genuine offence. Quote
Paid Members I Bent My Wookie Posted March 13 Paid Members Posted March 13 I've also sold Avon at Uni while shouting this phrase at someone, so while it absolutely is deep rooted in that shitty toxic nature, I've always used it myself as a phrase of "it can't get any worse" 15 minutes ago, mim731 said: I'm 100% sure this was not your personal intention, and this is not designed as a knock on you, but it always rings as one of those phrases that has a touch of the old toxic masculinity about it, as if a man selling cosmetics was somehow lesser and didn't fit the traditional view of masculinity. Always felt a bit cringeworthy to me. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.