Paid Members Onyx2 Posted January 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 9, 2025 I can't own up to GB News but I hoovered up Clarkson's Farm last year after a recommendation from a non-gammon. I fucking hate Top Gear and all those bellends, and the endless idolatry surrounding those clowns, and this programme still features Clarkson full-on. But as a piece for someone interested in food, and how we as a nation put obstacles in the way of small business, livestock and farming, it's a fascinating watch. Endless red tape around what's allowed, bills coming and going, insane local planning laws, price fixing... Cunt though he is, at the end of year one (spoilers for something you won't watch) he makes a profit of £120 or something. He's flabbergasted and admits he can financially take the hit but doesn't know how other farms do. It won't change your mind on Clarkson, but it is an entertaining insight into big and small politics. *With the caveat I'm aware it's an entertainment programme, and farmers have done themselves no favours with that inheritance tax nonsense recently. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted January 9, 2025 Moderators Posted January 9, 2025 27 minutes ago, BomberPat said: Partner's dad had it on when we went round just after Christmas. Luckily I could get him to turn over to the darts. He's gone full mental over ULEZ, too. Fuck man. Is people sharing their opinion on ULEZ the actual worst thing about living in London? Maybe. I just can't engage with it at all, kills me. Had to tell someone to shut up about it on a school parent WhatsApp group a while back. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted January 9, 2025 Members Posted January 9, 2025 12 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said: school parent WhatsApp group Things you know that will be shit. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted January 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 10, 2025 12 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said: I've never met anyone who admits to watching gb news. One of the regulars in my mum's pub is always telling us what opinion he's been spoonfed by GBeebies. It's worrying. Vicky's mum watches Clarkson's farm and says it's alright, but acknowledges what a knob Clarkson is and is very left leaning. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted January 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 10, 2025 14 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said: Fuck man. Is people sharing their opinion on ULEZ the actual worst thing about living in London? Maybe. I just can't engage with it at all, kills me. Had to tell someone to shut up about it on a school parent WhatsApp group a while back. It's definitely up there. Particularly as I don't drive and couldn't give a single shit about it anyway. Though people complaining about ULEZ and Sadiq Khan while not living in London get on my tits more. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted January 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 10, 2025 We have our own ULEZ here in Lincolnshire. We make the roads so treacherous to drive on you can't drive anywhere, and I for one blame Sadiq Khan for that as well. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted January 10, 2025 Moderators Posted January 10, 2025 11 minutes ago, BomberPat said: Though people complaining about ULEZ and Sadiq Khan while not living in London get on my tits more. I put those people in the same bucket, as even though they aren't in London they are aware that I live in London, and as a result must be interested in their opinion on ULEZ. Quote
Chili Posted January 10, 2025 Posted January 10, 2025 (edited) My partner works in animal welfare and plant based farming etc so she's watched Clarkson's Farm and had some interactions with that Kaleb lad, apparently a quite nice fella. I watched it too, it was a very enjoyable show but that's probably down to me having a bit of a weird relationship with Jeremy Clarkson. I think he's a massive dickhead like most people. My Dad is the absolute perfect fan for him. Loves his crap books of his newspaper articles, thought he was a top bloke and watched Top Gear (old and new), and it's never been really my thing. But presenting non car stuff I always found Clarkson to be fair more watchable, engaging and borderline occasionally pleasant. The farm show, his docs about history and stuff are all watchable, but he's such an elitist shit bag. James May was always the safe choice. I guess it's like being able to still enjoy Father Ted regardless of what became of 50% of the writing team, or not, dunno where I'm going to be honest. Never watched GB News but I did a gig with Mark Dolan a month before the pandemic kicked off and then about 6 months later I see him cutting up facemasks and acting unhinged. Grifting will do that to you. Edited January 10, 2025 by Chili Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted January 10, 2025 Author Paid Members Posted January 10, 2025 @LaGoosh Is your dad still doing his t̶h̶r̶e̶e̶ one and a half mile walk? Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted January 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 10, 2025 Just now, Devon Malcolm said: @LaGoosh Is your dad still doing his t̶h̶r̶e̶e̶ one and a half mile walk? He is indeed but he now does it once a week rather than daily. So while he's cut down on the exercise (bad) he isn't drinking 4 pints at lunchtime every day anymore (good). Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted January 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 10, 2025 (edited) 1 hour ago, BomberPat said: Though people complaining about ULEZ and Sadiq Khan while not living in London get on my tits more. Yeh, that pisses me off. I've no time for Khan in himself as a politician - I think he's very mediocre and a PLP dick at that - but he's by no means the worst mayor London's had, and hearing/reading what those outside London have to say about him and London in general as regards crime or standard of living, I've a fair idea what they're really saying. I'm not a tribalist - hell, I've ranted on here plenty of times about how London is prioritised far too much economically and politically - but I am a Londoner born and bred, and I am proud of a lot of things London has to offer culturally, and do my best to try to contribute to that in my own small way. When those gammon cunts come for London and Khan, especially as a shorthand for immigrants and multiculturalism, it just makes me more defiant. Edited January 10, 2025 by Carbomb Quote
davertfnewman Posted January 10, 2025 Posted January 10, 2025 In the nineties, we lived next door to a couple who placed their caravan on their driveway in such a manner that it obscured our view up the road in a quite nice drive. The wife also did it to death about being a vegetarian and would be very awkward when it came to going out for meals. So, when Clarkson went on Room 101 and nominated caravans and vegetarians (as well as flies and Last of the Summer Wine) we became a bit of a fan of him in our house. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted January 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 10, 2025 7 hours ago, Chili said: Never watched GB News but I did a gig with Mark Dolan a month before the pandemic kicked off and then about 6 months later I see him cutting up facemasks and acting unhinged. Grifting will do that to you. I was launching a podcast for Sam Delaney’s company. Mark was a guest. Lovely bloke, our 1hr conversation was well over 2. The episode was released the day he cut up the mask. That thing about controversy creates cash certainly didn’t work out for me. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted January 16, 2025 Author Paid Members Posted January 16, 2025 Those who remember my parents' feud over bags of sand may be interested to know that they have been removed. And replaced by these. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted January 16, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 16, 2025 Oooh, now you've got me thinking. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.