The Future Carking Thread

Frankie Crisp

36 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Osborne will also be ones that will get me. 

Said by every disabled and sick person predicting their death after the 2010 general election. 

12 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

Any of the 'It's Always Sunny' crew

Love each and every one of them immensely. Even the bit part actors/reoccurring characters. Just an amazing and lovely bunch of people. 

Danny especially. That's going to be a proper gut punch. I hope I get offered an egg in that trying time when it happens.

David Lynch is the one obvious choice for me, not only is he my most beloved director I still feel like there's so much more he could do but that time will eventually come.. We'll never find out what really happened to Laura Palmer.

21 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Danny especially. That's going to be a proper gut punch. I hope I get offered an egg in that trying time when it happens.

A slight aside, but my brother requested some art work for his house for Christmas and on my search, I found ou there is a surprising amount of Frank Reynolds influenced artwork available, I highly recommend Googling it.

1 minute ago, deathrey said:

A slight aside, but my brother requested some art work for his house for Christmas and on my search, I found ou there is a surprising amount of Frank Reynolds influenced artwork available, I highly recommend Googling it.

There are some excellent Frank tattoos and I saw a video where Danny's daughter I think, is showing them to him and he loves it.

I adore that man.

• Awards Moderator

Getting to a thread too late means you miss all the good ones: Michael Palin is the nation's favourite uncle and feels thoroughly decent in every way, and the thought of no new John Williams music makes me very sad - every year since they've done it Spotify have told me he's my favourite artist. I've wanted to write a book about John Williams for ages but I lack the technical music knowledge to fully get across the connections in his work ("it gets loud here like this other song, do you understand?!")

Fully on-brand for me but Heston Blumenthal will shatter me for days. I have had the suspicion he's not been well for a while but I hope I'm wrong.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, CharlesTuckerTheThird said:

Tom Lehrer. His humour and willingness to speak truth to power very much shaped my own humour and political views, but in my heart I know he's 95 and it's pretty much a matter of time.

He goes in the "Thought They Were Dead" file for me. 

• Paid Members

Not wanting to get morbid and think about younger people, and just stick to those who have had a good innings, a lot of my heroes and inspirations have already gone, but Tom Waits has been mentioned, and that's one that would definitely really hit me hard. I don't think many musicians or artists of any kind had a bigger inspiration on me, or did more to kind of open my eyes.

Another, in the same kind of boat as the likes of Tom Lehrer in "just a matter of time" and having already largely accepted it, is Marshall Allen. He's the bandleader of the Sun Ra Arkestra, and a wonderful musician that I've been lucky enough to see several times over the years - the last time I saw him was, if memory serves, a week before his 98th birthday. He's now 99, and is having to miss the next European tour as he's been advised not to fly, so I expect I won't see him again. 

Hayao Miyazaki will be a big one, too; I always get upset at the idea of somebody extremely creative passing away, or otherwise being unable to work any more, because there's a feeling of the world becoming a little less magical, and of art and creativity becoming a little more bland and standardised in their absence. 

It's hopefully a long, long way off, but I won't be able to cope with losing Bob Mortimer from the world. 

• Paid Members

Paul McCartney. Ringo to a lesser degree, but if anything happened to Sir Paul it'd be hard to take. Band On The Run is a heck of an album. 

12 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Marshall Allen. He's the bandleader of the Sun Ra Arkestra, and a wonderful musician that I've been lucky enough to see several times over the years - the last time I saw him was, if memory serves, a week before his 98th birthday. He's now 99, and is having to miss the next European tour as he's been advised not to fly, so I expect I won't see him again. 

Oh man.  For me it will be Roy Ayres.  When I was starting out in a band I absorbed his work, I still listen to his stuff all the time.  I saw him in Bournemouth back in the 90s and again at Ronnie Scotts in *checks notes* about 10 years ago, Christ, and he looked frail then.  Like with you, I know I'll never see him play over here again, so like with Fats Domino and Chuck Berry I'm just waiting for the news headline to find out a bit of history has gone :(