The Future Carking Thread

Frankie Crisp

J. Michael Straczynski. Got into Babylon 5 in my 20's when I moved in with my now wife, and it was the first thing we semi-binge watched together. A brilliant 5 season arc, made at a time when that really wasn't a thing, particularly in space opera land where your weekly Star Trek episode was king. Later on, finding that he'd also been heavily involved in some of my favourite cartoons as a child, such as Real Ghostbusters, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, He-Man and the masters of the universe, made me feel a connection to his work, that it had somehow weaved itself through my life as I've grown up.  We saw him do a Q&A at Phoenix Comicon in 2013, which was brilliant. And then of course there's his autobiography, Becoming Superman, which I would encourage anyone and everyone to read, an extremely harrowing yet inspirational tale of success despite an almost incomprehensibly difficult childhood. I've read it about 4 times and it's usually next to my bed to dip into. He is an amazing storyteller, whose work has brought me so much hope and joy, and I'm going to be so sad when he's not around to do his thing anymore.

• Paid Members

I reckon I'd feel Michael Holding passing away as much as I did when Richie Benaud died. The voice of cricket, for me, for so many years. Knowledgeable and funny and never one to give in to easy soundbites. His video about BLM in 2020 is one of the most powerful things I've ever watched. A great man.

He's 97 so its coming, but Mel Brooks is a legit Hero of mine. He's a part of me and my sense of humor since I was young. If he'd only made Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles that would've been enough, but, NO! he carried on being funny, and gave us many more classic comedies too. The world needs more Mel Brooks movies and less bullshit.

Edited by pol_pot_rick

• 3 weeks later...