The Future Carking Thread

Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)

No, Pete, this isn’t a Bat-Signal.

If someone was to snuff it from the well-known world, whose would affect you the most?

Clearly, we don’t know these lot and when you think about it, their passing shouldn’t bother us. But some will. They’ll have had some kind of impact on us over the years and for whatever reason, they’ve got under our skin in the right way and mean something to us.

I still remember getting sent home from work when George Harrison died. Emotionally, it broke me. I got a week off when Thatcher died. Financially, it broke me. But that’s a different thread.

Anyway. They’ll have brought something positive to our lives and it’ll be hard when they leg it. Whose death will do you in?

Bruce Springsteen

I think this goes without saying. His music, philosophy, lyrics and outlook on life have kept me alive. That’s not hyperbole. I genuinely don’t think I’d be here today without him. He’s incredible and gives so much; rock, folk, pop, poetry, humility, anger. Politics, love. Humour, sincerity. He’s a once in a lifetime talent and when he goes, I think the world will lose one of the greatest people we’ve ever, ever seen.

Damon Albarn

An intrinsic part of my teenage and subsequent adult life, this beautiful sod has given me so many important songs, lyrics and moments. I’ll be destroyed when his brain explodes and kills everyone in the vicinity of his allotment.

Robert Smith

King of the madmen. The Cure are the best. His music has completely infected me and changed me for the better. 

Dennis Skinner 

Tony Benn was and is my political hero, and his leanings and philosophy helped me form my views as they are now. Dennis is there, right behind him. A beautiful, wonderful bloke, who - whilst mocked and laughed at by the media - has more about him than almost every politician kicking about today. He’s an incredible human being.

Darren Ambrose and James McArthur.

I can’t go into this one.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

The only person in the universe I am dreading it happening too is Ozzy Osbourne he is my absolute hero/idol and my wife openly admits she is dreading that day when it comes because I will be in bits 

• Paid Members

Steven Spielberg

My childhood, really. I don't think any of us realise just what an effect on cinema and pop culture he's had. It will be a tough one to take.

Jeremy Corbyn

Single-handedly took me from being politics-avoidant to being fully engaged. A decent man who has campaigned for things that others wouldn't dare to touch in case it scuppered their political careers. This would hit my 16yo hard, too.

Alex Ferguson

An obvious one, even after distancing myself from United recently. So many great memories across 20 years, all because of him.

Stevie Wonder

The greatest to ever do it.

Jimmy White

Maybe my favourite single sportsperson of all time. I'll never forgive Stephen Hendry no matter how much people seem to like him now.

• Paid Members

Billy Joel will be a tough one for me, as my mum and I are both big fans of his. 

• Awards Moderator

I’m with you on Springsteen, @Frankie Crisp. He’s had a profound effect on my life, getting me through some of the worst times and being part of the best. I get quite upset just at the thought of him no longer being here, and I think I’ll be inconsolable for some time should anything happen to him.

I’d maybe also say John Williams. Similar to what @Devon Malcolm said about Spielberg - it’s the effect he’s had on cinema, and it’s my childhood … and adulthood. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Superman, Jurassic Park, ET…

Kylie

The staple of my adolescence and pubic years. She was my first love. 

Bob Mortimer 

More so at the moment because his recent health issue are in the media. The buffoon. The class clown. He reminds me of my grandad. 

B-Real

His unique voice and style pulled me right into a genre of music that I'll always love. 

Denzel Washington

I just can't. 

Any of the 'It's Always Sunny' crew

Love each and every one of them immensely. Even the bit part actors/reoccurring characters. Just an amazing and lovely bunch of people. 

Edited by Steve Justice

Bob Mortimer: When he goes and it may be sooner rather than later due to his ongoing health complications, a little part of me will probably die. I grew up on his era of comedy but never fully appreciated what he and others really brought to the table until about 10 years ago and a wider audience over the last 5 years or so are starting to realise that too. I've met/had dinner/shared a train journey with Bob a few times and he is such a wonderful, grounded and mostly unintentionally funny person to have the company of whether it be in person or through the television screen. It's such a shame that he's only scratched the surface of who and what he is but I'm grateful for what he has shown us.

Craig Charles: Again this is more on a personal level. I was close with Craig once upon a time on the Manchester nightlife scene and there's a whole other side to Craig that the world will never see nor will he probably allow himself to show. People have forgotten about his roots and what he stood for/who he was as he was breaking through and there's a level of that and intelligence that he rarely lets anyone see due to how he's been perceived in the public eye for so long. There's more to him than people credit him for and I'm glad that I've seen that firsthand.

• Paid Members

David Suchet - reckon it will hit me hard when Poirot goes. I've watched those (with embarassing) regularity since I was a kid, with both sets of grandparents while they were kicking (used to be able to rent the VHS tapes from the library - an easy way to stop me being a pain in the arse while they were looking after me in the holidays), Dad while he was alive and Mum. This is incredibly sad, but I've never managed to watch the final episode of Suchet Poirot because

Spoiler

Poirot dies.

And some stupid part of my brain doesn't want the finality of that, even in the form of a budget ITV drama programme from the mid 00's.

For almost exactly the same reasons, John Nettles. Though I don't have to boycott certain episodes of Midsomer Murders for my own mental stability.

Most of mine have already been mentioned and pre-eulogised (?) so I’ll just add Werner Herzog and Tom Waits. I do worry every time I see Dick Van Dyke trending as well. 

EDIT - @Devon Malcolm @SuperBacon Yeah SAF will be a tough one. I always thought nothing represented the club better than him and Bobby Charlton, as well as Old Trafford itself. I love how symbolic it is that one of the biggest clubs in the world play in one of the most iconic grounds in the world and that it’s surrounded by terraced housing. I think when all three are no longer with us, the game will truly be gone, lads. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

Arnold Schwarzenegger springs to mind for childhood hero reasons.

Loads of more obscure ones but I'm still mourning PeeWee Herman and don't feel like making a mental list of the niche people I fanboy over and imagining them dying.

If Britney Spears died some tragic tortured Marilyn Monroe or Judy Garland style death it would be sad and also ruin my plans for her to take me to some private island and retire from the public eye while I worship her 24/7