AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

When boxing is held in a stadium, it’s usually a one match card with loads of filler, same for arena shows too. The main event is the draw. With this show, AEW is the draw. I’d say UFC is more comparable as they have stacked cards most of the time and are themselves the draw. 

AEW at Wembley Stadium doesn’t need to announce a main event to shift tickets, it’ll shift them because of what it is. It won’t sell out the stadium, not a chance, but it’ll be an event that I think will be talked about and remembered for decades. I hope UKFF alumni have a fantastic time. 

4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I've been out all day and just seen the news. Fair fucks to Khan, that is some swing for the fences.

The smell at Wembley Boxpark that day will be absolutely horrific. 

The footie season will be underway won’t it? Got to hope Man Utd will be at home on that day so plenty of Londoners will be out of town. Might help with travel plans and volume!

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, FUM said:

The idea that NFL is a niche product in the UK in 2023 is one of the larger cases of lacking awareness I’ve seen on here.

Everything is a niche product compared to football. Example.  Everton's average attendance is around 38 thousand for every home game. When dyed in the wool Blue Tony Bellew fought Ilunga Makabu at Goodison he drew around 15 thousand and that was with a massive promotional push and he had been in Creed the year before as well. No one in AEW has the name value Bellew had at that time. 

Are there any rough estimates on how much tickets are going to be? I've never been to Wembley Stadium before and while it's good that it's likely tickets will be available for a while due to the capacity of the venue, I'd love to know how much to budget for etc!

• Paid Members

8 hours ago, Daddymagic said:

I'll be shocked if they sell 30k tickets. 

Clearly has money to burn does TS, but won't be a good look. When Wembley is empty it looks verrrry empty and soulless. 

Quoting this for posterity, as it's such absurd statement and I can't wait to dunk on it when AEW sells 30k+ tickets.

Hell, I'll even reply to that post again with a photo of myself at the crammed and rammed 30k+ Wembley Stadium just for shits and giggles, and I encourage everyone else who is going to do the same.

1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Everything is a niche product compared to football. Example.  Everton's average attendance is around 38 thousand for every home game. When dyed in the wool Blue Tony Bellew fought Ilunga Makabu at Goodison he drew around 15 thousand and that was with a massive promotional push and he had been in Creed the year before as well. No one in AEW has the name value Bellew had at that time. 

Big difference is I really enjoy boxing and have since I was a kid but there's not a fight or fighter I'd travel any sort of distance to watch for several reasons.

Boxing cards are usually made up predominantly of lower level fighters that often even real purists struggle to enjoy. 

On top of that crowds are fucking awful and full of the absolute worst pissed up stella drinking coke head brexiteers that think they're hard as nails and are wanting to start trouble with anyone they can.

Also watching boxing live in person in my experience in vastly way less enjoyable than at home whereas wrestling is the exact opposite.

I've travelled all across the UK and further for wrestling but I'd never do that for boxing.

Comparing Bellew's drawing power and AEW's is silly.

Firstly if you drew a Venn diagram of everyone who attends Everton games, everyone who likes boxing, everyone who's free on that date, everyone who wants to go, everyone who can afford to go, 15,000 is pretty good. With respect  the idea anyone would go because he was in Creed the year prior really amuses me too.

As Keith said people will go to this because its AEW, then you have casual fans as well wanting to be part of a big show or take their kids to wrestling, then you have people who couldnt get tickets for MITB so go or take their kids to this. 

Also I'm sorry but nobody can tell me with a straight face that Tony fucking Bellew was ever a bigger household name or draw than Sting, Chris Jericho or potentially CM Punk and Jeff Hardy.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Also I'm sorry but nobody can tell me with a straight face that Tony fucking Bellew was ever a bigger household name or draw than Sting, Chris Jericho or potentially CM Punk and Jeff Hardy.

Hmm, well I can tell you with a straight face than out of those four names, only one of them would draw 15 thousand to Goodison Park. 

14 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Quoting this for posterity, as it's such absurd statement and I can't wait to dunk on it when AEW sells 30k+ tickets.

Hell, I'll even reply to that post again with a photo of myself at the crammed and rammed 30k+ Wembley Stadium just for shits and giggles, and I encourage everyone else who is going to do the same.

Yeah, likewise. 
Yes, they may do comps and deals but I don't honestly see them doing more than 30k full price tickets for this event. 

Good for them if they do. 

15 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Comparing Bellew's drawing power and AEW's is silly.

In LotM’s defence the point wasn’t that Tony Bellew could outdraw AEW. The reply was to me mentioning NFL being a niche product and the point was that everything is except football and example being Bellew couldn’t draw in his home town despite being a huge name.

Though I do think Tony Bellew was never as popular as people make out for what it’s worth. I didn’t even know he had a fight that night till I switched it on.

Edited by FUM

2 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Hmm, well I can tell you with a straight face than out of those four names, only one of them would draw 15 thousand to Goodison Park. 

I don't dispute that in the slightest but the direct quote was "No one in AEW has the name value Tony Bellew had at that time" and that in my opinion is nonsense.

Bellew had a very niche market and they all had a fun wee day with him (which he very nearly cocked up).

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Daddymagic said:

Yeah, likewise. 
Yes, they may do comps and deals but I don't honestly see them doing more than 30k full price tickets for this event. 

Good for them if they do. 

And that's what we in the biz call 'moving goalposts'.

I'm already looking into my crystal ball and seeing posts such as "Yeah but you can't prove that EVERYONE there has paid FULL PRICE though!" and "Yeah but Tony leaks those enlarged numbers to Meltzer!".

Edited by Accident Prone