AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

26 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

The Monday is a bank holiday so being on Sunday shouldn't be a problem for alot of people attending/travelling back the next day. 

Aren’t bank holiday weekends the prime time for rail maintenance? Could be a factor for travel so look ahead!

Of course it won’t sell out the stadium, but as pointed out it could sell out the tickets. If they set the venue up for say 50k with areas tarped off, and sell 30k, it would still be a great crowd. 

Hope it doesn’t rain, mind  

When I sold my flat, I got an unexpected profit. I promised my brother that I would keep money aside to pay for us to go to the first AEW show in the UK as he is a huge fan(ny).

They finally fucking announce it and its literally within 2 days of the due date of my first child. 

Would be hilarious if I missed the birth of my daughter to sit there crying through Stings retirement match or something. 

• Paid Members

All this talk of 30k is a good number or 50k is a good number have forgotten one important factor. Ego. The last two stadium wrestling shows in the UK have had 60k and 80k respectively. I know they might be kayfabe numbers but they are widely reported. If AEW don't do at least the bottom number then it's not a good look. We are not dealing with normal men, or innocent men are we. 

1 hour ago, Loki said:

I'm sure I'll get rightly mocked for this, but isn't Saraya v Jamie Hayter the biggest main event they could do right now from their current roster?  The former Paige has had a bloody movie made about her, she's known over here and can get onto mainstream telly, and the Brit v Brit and the progressive women's wrestling angle will help play too.

The other thing to recall is that TNA was pretty big over here back in the day, so guys like Jarrett, Samoa Joe etc all have decent name value.  Not Wembley Stadium big, but it's a way to draw in other possibly lapsed UK fans.

I'd say that should probably be on the card, but that would be a shit main event. Saraya is dire and we all know it, people like her so she probably should be in a big match but they need people like Punk, Danielson, Omega, Moxley and possibly Okada in the upper card matches. If those two main events I'd probably leave early. 

1 hour ago, Daddymagic said:

Not a major gage. But the toy line they had sold so badly every U.K.  retailer cancelled it a few months ago. They are now gathering dust in Home Bargains for less than a tenner. 

Maybe kids aren't into AEW over here. And that is a major section of who would go to this. 

If they have recognisable faces on posters such as Danielson or Moxley that could help sell it but I think kids have never been a major target for AEW, they always talk about 16-35.

I'm not even an AEW fan and this has me interested. A stadium show just sounds fun. 

I can imagine Jericho has and is planning a Stadium Stampede here, getting the headlines. 

Any predictions for a possible Dynamite during the week? Maybe in Manchester? Or would the more likely fly over here following a regular US taping?

18 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

All this talk of 30k is a good number or 50k is a good number have forgotten one important factor. Ego. The last two stadium wrestling shows in the UK have had 60k and 80k respectively. I know they might be kayfabe numbers but they are widely reported. If AEW don't do at least the bottom number then it's not a good look. We are not dealing with normal men, or innocent men are we. 

Don't worry. Enough Tokyo Dome experience to know how to kayfabe their numbers. Just like WWE.

While people here are talking about 30k-50k in real numbers. Announced numbers will be 15-20k higher.

I'm absolutely buzzing for this. Due to family commitments (a new baby, which is due imminently), I can't make it - but I definitely would have travelled down had this not been a factor. I can't imagine that the line-up will be anything other than stellar, and the possibilities are really exciting. I can't imagine that they won't have big stars appear from other companies (eg. Mercedes Mone, Okada, Vikingo etc) but even if they don't, they have more than enough depth on their roster to put on one hell of a show. 

It was a bit curious that they didn't mention whether or not this would be on PPV, which, as far as I can think, they usually do with shows like this. Surely it will be, though?!

1 minute ago, TobyK said:

I can imagine Jericho has and is planning a Stadium Stampede here, getting the headlines. 

Any predictions for a possible Dynamite during the week? Maybe in Manchester? Or would the more likely fly over here following a regular US taping?

I don't think they cannibalise sales. This has to be a unique event. There will be plenty of opportunities to come back to the UK for TV or a tour months/years later.

Maybe they'd do something on the Saturday in London. After most of All In sales have taken place.

• Paid Members

Free tickets to Fulham Season Ticket holders then just count those tickets as sold tickets. Football clubs have been counting season ticket holders in their attendance figures whether they are in attendance or not, since the dawn of time. Tony isn't daft, he knows how to play the game and seems like quite the savvy guy in terms of statistics.