AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Anthony Ogogo getting a mention on the press release 🤣

To be fair, he has a teeny, tiny bit of stock over here to the wider public as part of Team GB’s Olympic boxing squad from London 2012 - he’s used to doing the media rounds over here from various Team GB-related legacy functions they’ve done in the past, and his story about his transition into wrestling, returning to a big event in London etc is a fairly easy sell to the likes of ITV and other outlets that will likely want to cover the show. 

Not a megastar by any stretch but I can see the logic - they’ll get a load of what they call ‘onnings’ from him out into the press as well - Anthony Ogogo on Anthony Joshua, Ogogo on Team GB’s hopes at Paris 2024, etc. These are two-fold because although the conversation won’t start about AEW, they will then transition to that in the second part of those onnings stories and they’ll make a bit off of things like sponsored mentioned etc. They’ll see him as a bit of a bridge to wider media who otherwise wouldn’t know much about wrestling, AEW, etc. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Tyson Fury banned from the building. No karaoke allowed

If it doesn't draw 80 thousand Fury won't be the problem it will be Carl Froch. 

1 minute ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I’m nearing the conclusion they wouldn’t have booked it without some confidence he was.

Having worked for companies trying to sell out Wembley… it’s really hard. No matter how many times you’ve been on ITV4. It’s really, really quite hard.

Now this an opinion to respect, from a man who has been on the sharp end of trying to sell out Wembley, and that's with someone in the main event whose name is known to people who watch ITV1 let alone ITV4. The likes of Fury and Joshua get interviewed by Jonathan Ross, Kenny Omega gets interviewed by Jonathan Good's wife. 

Drew has about 9 months left according to SRS and the likelihood is he will re-sign, it’s just a case of both waiting to see how the landscape is at the time so you can write off that pipe dream.

1 hour ago, Nick James said:

Wasn't Big Shad trying to buy Wembley a few years ago?

He was. Big Daddy Shaddy wanted to move his NFL franchise to London because they aren’t too popular in Florida what with two long established teams already there. It was believed by some that purchasing Fulham was his “In” to the corporate sporting circles of London to help with the deal. 

23 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

To be fair, he has a teeny, tiny bit of stock over here to the wider public as part of Team GB’s Olympic boxing squad from London 2012 - he’s used to doing the media rounds over here from various Team GB-related legacy functions they’ve done in the past, and his story about his transition into wrestling, returning to a big event in London etc is a fairly easy sell to the likes of ITV and other outlets that will likely want to cover the show. 

Not a megastar by any stretch but I can see the logic - they’ll get a load of what they call ‘onnings’ from him out into the press as well - Anthony Ogogo on Anthony Joshua, Ogogo on Team GB’s hopes at Paris 2024, etc. These are two-fold because although the conversation won’t start about AEW, they will then transition to that in the second part of those onnings stories and they’ll make a bit off of things like sponsored mentioned etc. They’ll see him as a bit of a bridge to wider media who otherwise wouldn’t know much about wrestling, AEW, etc. 

I know people that had purely heard about AEW because of Ogogo. He's strangely very well remembered and agree that he would find it easier than most AEW roster members to get on mainstream UK talk shows. I can imagine him and Saraya will be a big part of the media tours. 

I'm sure I'll get rightly mocked for this, but isn't Saraya v Jamie Hayter the biggest main event they could do right now from their current roster?  The former Paige has had a bloody movie made about her, she's known over here and can get onto mainstream telly, and the Brit v Brit and the progressive women's wrestling angle will help play too.

The other thing to recall is that TNA was pretty big over here back in the day, so guys like Jarrett, Samoa Joe etc all have decent name value.  Not Wembley Stadium big, but it's a way to draw in other possibly lapsed UK fans.

Not a major gage. But the toy line they had sold so badly every U.K.  retailer cancelled it a few months ago. They are now gathering dust in Home Bargains for less than a tenner. 

Maybe kids aren't into AEW over here. And that is a major section of who would go to this. 

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

I'm sure I'll get rightly mocked for this, but isn't Saraya v Jamie Hayter the biggest main event they could do right now from their current roster?  The former Paige has had a bloody movie made about her, she's known over here and can get onto mainstream telly, and the Brit v Brit and the progressive women's wrestling angle will help play too.

The other thing to recall is that TNA was pretty big over here back in the day, so guys like Jarrett, Samoa Joe etc all have decent name value.  Not Wembley Stadium big, but it's a way to draw in other possibly lapsed UK fans.

I'm a very very casual fan and that main event sounds dire and wouldn't make me buy a ticket. Have either had any classic matches? I'd expect a big finale for a show this big. As a mid card match fine, though maybe its cos I don't gravitate toward women's wrestling. 

3 minutes ago, Daddymagic said:

I'll be shocked if they sell 30k tickets. 

Clearly has money to burn does TS, but won't be a good look. When Wembley is empty it looks verrrry empty and soulless. 

I'd be very surprised if they are planning a set up of more than half the building. They'll either keep people low or cut off half the stadium. 30,000 would be a great number and I'd love them to do 50,000 plus. How's their coverage in mainland Europe these days? I'd be going if I was able to absolutely.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Loki said:

I'm almost certain we'll get Saraya vs Hayter on the show but it's unlikely to be the main event. Or TK is going to shell out the big bucks for Sasha Banks vs Hayter. That would be a genuine main event I think.

13 minutes ago, Daddymagic said:

I'll be shocked if they sell 30k tickets. 

30K is still a lot of tickets. If the production team can make 30k in Wembley look and sound good for TV then that'll be a success for them I imagine.

Edited by LaGoosh