AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

If they price it right, it’s London and London can fill places outta curiosity. Not sure on selling out, but over half has got to be a decent target. Using All In as the Branding and mentioning Cody, sets a good will towards going for the sell out tho 

I haven't been to a wrestling show since Royal Quest, I only live 1 bus from Wembley so will likely go. I'll be pissed if the Stinger isn't there though. 

People saying online be lucky to get 30k, mental, they may not sell out but I'm sure they can get 50k minimum. People will take a few days off and travel, and I don't think it will just be from Europe I think it will be from America too for their first stadium show. Surely they will pull out everything for this, have all their top stars, cages/ladders etc. There has to be a reason why they are doing this and not an arena tour of Europe where they could get a PPV plus TV tapings. 

Edited by westlondonmist

I was hating the segment. Typical for one of TK's awkward AF announcements. Then when Cole said Wembley STADIUM, I just burst out laughing at the insanity of it all. In a good way. In the best possible way. I know i'm going.

Sells out for stadiums basically never happen. They get 40,000+ it's still going to look great on TV.

• Paid Members

This is inviting Sniff jokes, I know, but... he does know this is real life, right? The money is real, the risks are real, all the people in the ever-growing cast of 1000s will want paying?

I hope it comes off.

• Paid Members

I think this will sell out.

People underestimate the fact that AEW is on ITV/ITV4 and until very recently was on ITV at 11pm on Mondays. Its visibility has to be way and above WWE’s, which is tucked away on BT Sport and lost its Channel 5 showings due to poor ratings.

The AEW product isn’t at its height but its a very different fanbase to WWE’s. The buzz will carry them through.

Look at the blockbuster business TNA did in the UK when it was on Challenge TV, compared to the arenas it was booking in the US.

Edited by garynysmon

1 minute ago, garynysmon said:

People underestimate the fact that AEW is on ITV/ITV4 and until very recently was on ITV at 11pm on Mondays. Its visibility has to be way and above WWE’s, which is tucked away on BT Sport and lost its Channel 5 showings due to poor ratings.

The buzz will carry them through.

AEW hasn't fully connected in the UK yet. Their action figures for example routinely end up in bargain buckets. WWE is a vastly bigger brand with much more recognition. That said, I do think they'll do well here and it's certainly one way to up your profile. 

2 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

The buzz will carry them through.

It is on itv, but I can’t say I ever hear anyone talk about watching it the same way they would the weekend morning wwe shows in the past. Their toy line got taken off the shelves at Smyths as they don’t sell. I don’t think they are close to having a strong UK market yet to be that confident 

• Paid Members
Just now, MungoChutney said:

AEW hasn't fully connected in the UK yet. Their action figures for example routinely end up in bargain buckets. WWE is a vastly bigger brand with much more recognition. That said, I do think they'll do well here and it's certainly one way to up your profile. 

I’d argue that’s more down to WWE appearing to explicity market itself to kids (from what I saw of Wrestlemania it most certainly felt that way), while nothing I’ve seen of AEW suggests that. 

As I’ve said, very different fanbases.

• Paid Members

Already booked off that weekend as I’m away at a wedding on Saturday. Pre registered and prepared to spend a stupid amount on a ticket. Now to tell my girlfriend we have to get up and leave early on the Sunday to get back to London. 

Booking the stadium is mental. He has high hopes and must’ve thought the arena was going to be too small. I’m really glad it’s not at Craven Cottage.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Louch said:

It is on itv, but I can’t say I ever hear anyone talk about watching it the same way they would the weekend morning wwe shows in the past.

I genuinely don't hear anyone talking about watching wrestling ever.

I'm not sure on this one  Other than Punk, who would/could be there that you couldn't see at your local indie for much less at some point? Sting? Is he enough of a draw at this point? 

AEW will be relying on the 'Yeah let's stick it to WWE!!' crowd but is there really enough of them to fill Wembley, particularly after the year AEW has had?

They didn't fill Arthur Ashe last year and, let's not forget, Money in the Bank is also in London not too long before then is it not?

Tony's clearly been snorting the good stuff lately and you have to admire his balls (in a metaphorical sense) but I'm not sure how well this will go.

I hope he proves me wrong.