AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

Boxing in general is a strange sport attendance wise. The biggest stars in the business don’t really sell out unless there’s a decent opponent.

People want to see competitive fights rather than just wanting to say they’ve seen someone live.

Wrestling can differ from that. I only went to some indie show in Edinburgh once to say I’d seen Young Bucks live. None the less, NFL isn’t niche here in 2023 - it’s annoying now how much people talk about it more than niche.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Also I'm sorry but nobody can tell me with a straight face that Tony fucking Bellew was ever a bigger household name or draw than Sting, Chris Jericho or potentially CM Punk and Jeff Hardy

Tell me how many times in the past 5 years any of those have been on A League Of Their Own on Sky. Tell me how many of those have been on Celebrity SAS on Channel 4. Tell me exactly how many times any of them have been on TV in this country outside of wrestling? Tony Bellew is a bell end but he is known outside of boxing fans in this country. If you think that any of those you mentioned are more well known to the general public in this country then you had best stop drinking bleach. 

I'm just gutted I can't go. I'm at a wedding that day, and I've known the groom 30+ years. We have been to a lot of wrestling shows over the years and he would have gone as well. So me and my 3 nephews, and him and his lad won't be there, so they are 6 down for a start. 

39 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Quoting this for posterity, as it's such absurd statement and I can't wait to dunk on it when AEW sells 30k+ tickets.

Hell, I'll even reply to that post again with a photo of myself at the crammed and rammed 30k+ Wembley Stadium just for shits and giggles, and I encourage everyone else who is going to do the same.

I think we can all make predictions and the such, without having people then countenance those predictions with "HAHA, told you so" which is, in my opinion, really weird and childish.

I don't think they'll fill that stadium, but if they do are all the people that said they would going to come and "dunk" on me?

I find it all a bit strange.

2 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Hopefully they price this correctly as it's a hell of a task to get Wembley anywhere near full.

I'm imagining tickets will be available for £50 probably less, anymore than that to sit far back may put me off. Im going more for experience than anything else etc.

I was imagining them having meet and greet packages for the front 3 to 5 rows. I don't know if AEW usually do that thing, but I'm sure there are plenty who would pay hundreds to be called a cunt by MJF etc. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I think we can all make predictions and the such, without having people then countenance those predictions with "HAHA, told you so" which is, in my opinion, really weird and childish.

I don't think they'll fill that stadium, but if they do are all the people that said they would going to come and "dunk" on me?

I find it all a bit strange.

This is a wrestling internet forum, 99% of it's content is "HAHA I told you so!".

The other 1% is Impact wrestling talk.

8 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Tony Bellew is a bell end but he is known outside of boxing fans in this country. If you think that any of those you mentioned are more well known to the general public in this country then you had best stop drinking bleach.

I've seen Creed many times over the years now. Knew it was a real boxer as Ricky Conlan. Hadn't a clue what his real name was until today.

If they aren't a successful ex-Olympic boxer or someone that sustains World title fights. I really don't the general public will have much awareness of them. Bunch of appearances on celeb reality shows or panel shows won't really change that since there's 100s rotated through them for the 15 seconds of fame.

21 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Tell me how many times in the past 5 years any of those have been on A League Of Their Own on Sky. Tell me how many of those have been on Celebrity SAS on Channel 4. Tell me exactly how many times any of them have been on TV in this country outside of wrestling? Tony Bellew is a bell end but he is known outside of boxing fans in this country. If you think that any of those you mentioned are more well known to the general public in this country then you had best stop drinking bleach. 

Once again, you think anyone is going to pay £50 plus and travel to Liverpool, plus hotel to watch him fight someone they've never heard of, potentially in a sport they're not interested in because he was on Celebrity SAS you have lost it.

If Tony Khan has any sense he's reading this thread and will use your stellar logic to book Sam Thompson vs Dev Griffin as the main event.

I had to google who they are because despite them having been on SAS Who Dares Wins, I, like most people had absolutely no idea who they are. 

Edited by Jonny Vegas

• Paid Members

I forgot two key things. Don't argue with an idiot and don't put anything in the AEW threads that isn't a billion percent positive about AEW or you'll get shouted down forever. 

I think it will sell out and there will be such an uproar that they will do an extra night. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Daddymagic said:

Yeah, likewise. 
Yes, they may do comps and deals but I don't honestly see them doing more than 30k full price tickets for this event. 

Good for them if they do. 

They apparently did 20k at Arthur Ashe, 15k in Vegas for double or nothing. Forbidden Door 2 in Canada sold out in the pre sale and they have now expanded the seating, they are on ITV and Fite in the UK, available in most of Europe. Add in American fans, i expect them to at least do 60k minimum. 

Summerslam allegedly did 80k. At a time you could only watch WWF if you were lucky to have Sky or bought VHS tapes.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch