AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

23 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

12 pages of attendance speculation responding to news of one of the biggest wrestling events in this country's history. It doesn't get peaker UKFF.

More fun than fantasy booking Goldberg as a Wembley main eventer, when a few years ago he would have been a candidate for Fear & Loathing commissioner at the Hydro.

Edited by Infinity Land

Thing is, in the eyes of many, all they can do is fail.  Anything other than a full sellout will mean that the usual suspects and their invertebrate acolytes on Twitter, fanned by signal-boosted paid engagement, will be declaring AEW in the mud.  They won't apply the same criteria to AEW as they apply to WWE and just parrot the propaganda.

However, this is a show that, according to what I can find, does around 100k per week for its flagship show and 70k per week from its secondary show in the UK.  Most AEW fans watch on ITVX.  I have no idea of the numbers of people paying Fite and we have no idea of the download numbers.  However, based on the numbers we do have, 30,000 would be ridiculous number.  30% of your weekly audience pony up to go to a live show, let alone people travelling from overseas.  50,000 people watch MLW but they can barely sell a ticket!

WWE inflates all their numbers.  SummerSlam 2021 actually drew 45,000 and SummerSlam 2022 drew 38,000.  So my view is draw 30,000 then lie about it.  Claim 90,000.

18 minutes ago, El Hijo del Mikey Jr said:

However, this is a show that, according to what I can find, does around 100k per week for its flagship show and 70k per week from its secondary show in the UK.  Most AEW fans watch on ITVX.

Ratings in the UK have been in a real slump since the turn of the year. Back in November they were bragging about the record high of 210k, with a peak viewership on that episode over 300k. 2023 it has been dipping under 100k quite often, although that's usually when they're displaced from their Friday 21:00 time slot they settled into.

Those numbers are for ITV4. They still have a middle of the night replay on ITV1. It won't be much but it's in the mix of unknowns of AEW+ subs & illegal downloaders/streamers.

3 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Ratings in the UK have been in a real slump since the turn of the year. Back in November they were bragging about the record high of 210k, with a peak viewership on that episode over 300k. 2023 it has been dipping under 100k quite often, although that's usually when they're displaced from their Friday 21:00 time slot they settled into.

Those numbers are for ITV4. They still have a middle of the night replay on ITV1. It won't be much but it's in the mix of unknowns of AEW+ subs & illegal downloaders/streamers.

TNA used to be a serious player and their best numbers were 8,000 in the UK and 7,000 in the US (at the Alamodome!).  Realistically, they shouldn't be able to fill the O2 with the numbers they're putting up on TV.  IMO, 30,000 would be a ridiculous number.  However, that won't be good enough.

9 minutes ago, El Hijo del Mikey Jr said:

TNA used to be a serious player and their best numbers were 8,000 in the UK and 7,000 in the US (at the Alamodome!).  Realistically, they shouldn't be able to fill the O2 with the numbers they're putting up on TV.  IMO, 30,000 would be a ridiculous number.  However, that won't be good enough.

Novelty factor plays a part. TNA came over to tour. If they just came over and did a UK PPV or standalone Impact taping. People would then have travelled to bump up whatever they pulled from the local area. A couple of those Maximum Impact tours had to creep close to 30,000 across the number of dates. 

AEW's picked a bank holiday weekend, still in school holidays for some. Picked a building that's an attraction. Just like G1 Supercard being at MSG. Plus they've got the marketing budget that far exceeds anything that TNA could muster.

I still reckon it will cross 30k in day one sales with the mix of real fans FOMO and scalpers picking up the decent seats. Then the grind will set in, with a real struggle to even add 10k, because there isn't a massive draw out there that's going to shift thousands of tickets.

11 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Novelty factor plays a part. TNA came over to tour. If they just came over and did a UK PPV or standalone Impact taping. People would then have travelled to bump up whatever they pulled from the local area. A couple of those Maximum Impact tours had to creep close to 30,000 across the number of dates. 

AEW's picked a bank holiday weekend, still in school holidays for some. Picked a building that's an attraction. Just like G1 Supercard being at MSG. Plus they've got the marketing budget that far exceeds anything that TNA could muster.

Yep, plus the huge selling point of it being their first ever European date. That alone will shift a bunch. 

I turn 40 eight days before the event, so a BIG holiday has been talked about to celebrate this fact. And genuinely would take a fortnight away over this event but talking about this with my wife the other day, and just now discussing potentially paying for the hotel. She tells me she's put us down for the pre sale tickets, without my knowledge. I'm genuinely touched by the thought behind that, primarily because of how much she loathes wrestling. I'm obviously no WWE fan boy these days, so to know she's paid attention enough to this new(ish) brand, which, let's be honest has little exposure over here... again, rather touched by it. I should say, by no stretch does this guarantee us going, nor does it definitively say we're getting tickets, but what a bloody keeper she is.

Does anyone have any info or relevant info as to what kind of pricing can be expected for this? I'm guessing the amounts won't be (I hope at least) reaching the hundreds per ticket mark, surely?

Should add, we'll stretch the budget to do both. Pay the extra to give her the holiday too, if she's good enough to sit through a wrestling event. Seems, only fair.

On 4/6/2023 at 11:54 AM, quote the raven said:

OK i got a travel lodge booking first thing this morning.

The hotel is now showing as sold out. 

Its going to sell out the stadium isn't it?

It's Bank Holiday weekend in the capital city...who's to say they only had 5 rooms left and 4 other people booked in for AEW? Doesn't mean it's a sellout....

We're on the presale for it and sorted childcare out so we'll be going. Hoping they do carer tickets so I can get in free with my raspberry of a wife! 😉

8 hours ago, Mikeymike83 said:

I turn 40 eight days before the event, so a BIG holiday has been talked about to celebrate this fact. And genuinely would take a fortnight away over this event but talking about this with my wife the other day, and just now discussing potentially paying for the hotel. She tells me she's put us down for the pre sale tickets, without my knowledge. I'm genuinely touched by the thought behind that, primarily because of how much she loathes wrestling. I'm obviously no WWE fan boy these days, so to know she's paid attention enough to this new(ish) brand, which, let's be honest has little exposure over here... again, rather touched by it. I should say, by no stretch does this guarantee us going, nor does it definitively say we're getting tickets, but what a bloody keeper she is.

Does anyone have any info or relevant info as to what kind of pricing can be expected for this? I'm guessing the amounts won't be (I hope at least) reaching the hundreds per ticket mark, surely?

Should add, we'll stretch the budget to do both. Pay the extra to give her the holiday too, if she's good enough to sit through a wrestling event. Seems, only fair.

I looked at Clash at the castle prices, which started at £39.50 (face value). No doubt there will be fan packages and tickets costing the hundreds but there will be lower price tickets no doubt.