AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Chris B said:

How much of an unknown was Wembley Stadium back with SummerSlam 92, especially without Hulk Hogan?

I'm not comparing current AEW with early 90s WWF in terms of popularity, but I remember it being mainstreamĀ for wrestlingĀ rather than truly mainstream.Ā 

WWF was absolutely massive in 1992, even the Attitude Era paled in comparison in terms of media coverage in the UK. Regular stories in the press, the Sun/Mirror printing cut out stickers on posters, appearances on kids tv shows etc.Ā 

Really not comparable at all tbh.

The WWF as a brand was insanely popular back in 1992 from what I remember.

Pencil cases, hasbro figures, sticker albums, velcro wallets, duvet covers, birthday party plates/cups/table covers, WWF magazine were all absolute mainstays for every kid I knew back then including me.

I could barely rent a copy of any of the Coliseum tapes until a Blockbuster opened locally as the newsagent who rented tapes prior to that constantly had them out before I could get to them.

On top of Bulldog being hugely over here as the "home town" hero and Bret Hart also being hugely popular (most kids I knew my age thought Hogan was shit in 1992 anyway), I genuinely think that with just how popular the brand was they could have likely sold the show with Repo Man vs Skinner on last.

• Paid Members

Fair enough - I'd moved away from the UK to Ireland in 91, but I honestly didn't know many other kids particularly into it at that point (and not *that* many who had Sky, which may have been a factor).

If it wasn't a gamble for them to run Wembley in 92, fair play. I'd assumed it was (although wasn't saying it was to the level it is with AEW).

Ā 

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

How much of an unknown was Wembley Stadium back with SummerSlam 92, especially without Hulk Hogan?

I'm not comparing current AEW with early 90s WWF in terms of popularity, but I remember it being mainstreamĀ for wrestlingĀ rather than truly mainstream.Ā 

It was quite a jump from places they'd toured before, especially for a non-Hogan show.

Basically, I wonder how much of it was a must-see because it felt like a one-off. It must have been a serious amount of the audience's first wrestling (or WWF at least) show.

And that makes me wonder how much it seeming like a one-off big show will bring out people who wouldn't go to see it otherwise.Ā 

I'm fascinated to see how they do.Ā 

I mean they had Slam Jam in the top 5 of the UK music charts in 92, the WWF was huge! I was in primary school back then and every kid watched or was aware of the WWF, the VHS tapes, action figures, stickers etc etc were absolutely everywhere.

27 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Fair enough - I'd moved away from the UK to Ireland in 91, but I honestly didn't know many other kids particularly into it at that point (and not *that* many who had Sky, which may have been a factor).

If it wasn't a gamble for them to run Wembley in 92, fair play. I'd assumed it was (although wasn't saying it was to the level it is with AEW).

Ā 

I think you are right in that it was a massive step from what they'd run here before (Albert Hall, Wembley Arena?, Sheffield IIRC)Ā 

• Paid Members

One of the main reasons for WWF running Wembley was the spring tour in 92 where they weren't just selling out at a time house show business was collapsing in the US, but they sold so much merch they had to send the company jet back to Connecticut to pick up another load.

Realistically I'll pay around Ā£120-Ā£150, been waiting a long time for them to come over. Considering the cost of everything else over the weekend, its gonna be an expensive one, but I feel it will be worth it