AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

3 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I forgot two key things. Don't argue with an idiot and don't put anything in the AEW threads that isn't a billion percent positive about AEW or you'll get shouted down forever. 

I think it will sell out and there will be such an uproar that they will do an extra night. 

Could we not have just agreed to disagree and moved on rather than calling me an idiot because I dared to point out that suggesting Bellew being on SAS Who Dares Wins wasn't in any way relevant to his drawing power to a pretty closed audience in mainstream boxing?

Pretending anything I've said is idiotic or calling me an AEW fanboy when neither is anywhere near accurate is just childish.

You said something really stupid and worst case scenario perhaps I've said something close to that level.

Let's draw a line underneath it, move on and focus on what's going to be at the very worst, the third biggest wrestling event in the UK over the last three decades.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

I wish you all the feeling you get early in your career where you’re convinced you’ve got a sure fire thing and then on day 1 you sell fuck all tickets.

Is Tony Bellew a bigger name than Sting? Danielson? Omega?

Probably, really depends on what you grew up watching and what your particular echo chamber is.

Would any of the cunts sell out Wembley? No.

4 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I wish you all the feeling you get early in your career where you’re convinced you’ve got a sure fire thing and then on day 1 you sell fuck all tickets.

Is Tony Bellew a bigger name than Sting? Danielson? Omega?

Probably, really depends on what you grew up watching and what your particular echo chamber is.

Would any of the cunts sell out Wembley? No.

Are they running Wembley because they think they can sell out the likely 75-80,000 seats that would likely be available?  Probably not.  However, if you want to run a stadium in the UK in football season, you're looking at Wembley, Twickenham, Cardiff, Hampden Park and Murrayfield.  Realistically, it's Wembley or Cardiff.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Hartleyno9 said:

Because a Travelodge is sold out? Put the Evostik down mate. 

How many does the travelodge hold? 😂

They could stick it on posters for the rest of time - "Sold out Wembley Travelodge in 2023". 

Fuck me theres some negativity here.

I thought it was a good sign of interest that a hotel would sell out in a few hours after the announcement.

I guess this place will be a wash of "told you so" posts one way or another, 

10 hours ago, El Hijo del Mikey Jr said:

Are they running Wembley because they think they can sell out the likely 75-80,000 seats that would likely be available?  Probably not.  However, if you want to run a stadium in the UK in football season, you're looking at Wembley, Twickenham, Cardiff, Hampden Park and Murrayfield.  Realistically, it's Wembley or Cardiff.

Hey, what about Hull? 

Just now, Cheapheat said:

What would be a decent number that would be considered a success in Wembley? And what kind of numbers would the stadium look a bit empty or underwhelming?

A good number is one where they don't lose money on the event, which I assume would have to be a gate of around 2.5m based on what I know about hire costs and how much it'd cost to stage the show.  I will defer to anybody who can actually come up with a better, more-reasoned number.

In terms of how it looks on screen, they can do a little jiggery-pokery and set the building up smaller.  Put a stage at one end, that takes away around 20% of the capacity. Find some way to blackout the upper tier, fill up the lower bowl and the pitch first, and you could have a setup of around 48,000.  That's a similar number to SummerSlam 2022.  That would be a massive success IMO and would have the "sea of people" look that you generally want from a stadium show.

1 hour ago, Cheapheat said:

What would be a decent number that would be considered a success in Wembley? And what kind of numbers would the stadium look a bit empty or underwhelming?

There's different ways to do it. The typical way is to hide a chunk of the capacity behind the staging area. Below's the seat map for Summerslam 2021 in Allegiant Stadium.

r/SquaredCircle - Seating map of SummerSlam. Seems half the stadium is being blocked off

Summerslam 2022 did a Hard Cam

https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/summerslam-1280x720.jpg

They're going to do a number and have staging that will look good. It is AEW of course and they have plenty of production fuck ups so who knows. The troll twitter accounts will be out in force over closed sections.